• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm-08 factory hunting ammo

atepointer

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    I have a buddy who wants to make a switch as his cache of old Core Lokt is about out. Hunts GA deer......doesn't reload. Not frequenting the 7mm-08 ammo world wondering if anyone here has any suggestions for a good factory loaded round. Obviously not urgent as season is long over, but wants to get it all settled for next season.

Looking at various online options from big box Hornady SST, Barnes and HSM Game King are in stock. Thanks for any suggestions.

I have always personally had good results with the Winchester 140gr ballistic silver tip (same as nosler bullet)
    and the Hornady 139gr sst and Fusion 139gr are not far behind.

I only handload, but I have a buddy who doesn't reload yet, and he also has a 7mm-08. His rifle shot pretty good with the Hornady Precision Hunter 150 ELD-X, so that might be a good option to try a box of, as well.

I know that it hurts to do it for the general Hunter, but get a box of each and see which the rifle likes. The Federal Fusion worked well, but not stellar groups, and we were hand loading the SGK until our regulations were changed to lead free. 🤯

I haven’t tried any of the factory Barnes yet, but my hand loads are shooting right near 1/2 MOA.

My family has taken game with all of them, and haven’t seen much difference.

What works for me. YMMV.

Barnes Vor-TX 120 gr. TTSX
    Nosler 120-140 gr Ballistic Tip (loaded by Nosler or Federal)
    Nosler 140-160 gr Partition (loaded by Nosler or Federal)

Whichever shoots best and whatever you can find in stock.

Choose your shot placement for the round you are shooting. While any bullet to the right place will get the job done, even Core-Lokts, I avoid Ballistic Tips through heavy bone or TTSX through broadside lungs WITHOUT hitting bone.

Hope this helps.

Ironically... you asked this in the Reloading Section. If looking for factory, maybe ask the Mods to move this to the Fieldcraft Section which seems to have more hunting type threads.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Modoc
    Honestly if he has been successful with corelokt's, anything will be fine. For GA deer I would use these in a factory offering.

If he regularly shoots deer at distance, say over 250-300 yards, I would opt for these.

Thanks for all the input have passed along to buddy.....for some reason wasn't getting alerts on this thread.

They’re deer.

Buy the cheap stuff first and find out if it shoots.

140 gr Federal Fusion has a great reputation. I’d start there.

P

Second the fusions. Only had one rifle that didn't shoot them well. And for a cheap deer bullet they should be gtg. After that any of the premium bullets should work.