• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm-08 or 284 Winchester?

Shoalwater

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2013
San Antonio, TX
I thought I had my mind made up on building an all around hunting rifle in 7mm-08, but that was before I started to look at the 284 Winchester. What are y'alls thoughts on the two different cartridges? My plan would be to shoot the new Nosler 150gr LRAB as an all around hunting load out to maybe 800yds on whitetail size game. Has anyone built a 284 using AICS mags, will it feed very well with the 35 degree shoulder? I appreciate everyone's help, and please don't turn this into an hunting ethics thread. I know my abilities and feel comfortable at these ranges on deer size game with the right conditions.

If your going with bullets that light, either will work. I just built a 284 shooting the Berger 180gr Hybrids which is too long for short action. I don`t feel the 7mm-08 is a good 800yd deer buster.

AICS long action mags are not a problem: No feeding issues and no feed lips modifications necessary.

7-08 is fine if you are building a short action, but that caliber will limit your ability to shoot the heavier bullets.

With 150-168gr bullets you should be able to get magnum velocities out of a .284. But there's little point stepping-up to the .284 and limiting it to a short action.

The 284 will feed fine out of both long and short action AICS mags, as well as the Alpha Type 3s (with minimal mods).

I think the extra horsepower from the 284 would be a benefit over the 708 for hunting, though I'd ask why not step up to the 7WSM, 7RSAUM or other magnum? I'd also say that if you are capable of properly connecting on thin-skinned medium game at 800 yards, the 708 has plenty of energy to do the job.

I disagree with the previous opinion regarding the goodness of a 284 in a short action. While it won't keep up with one on a long action, they do just fine. Mine manages 2825-2850fps from a 175smk over 54gr H4831sc, which is not a max load, nor is it compressed at 2.950" COAL.

7-08 gets me 2790 with 162 Amax out of a 25 inch Benchmark barrel.
I'm pushing my 7mm08 2750 Fps with 162 grn A-max's out of a 26" Benmark barrel. It took 15 mils of elevation to hit the 1370yd target at my last competition. The 7mm08 is a great overall cartridge for a short action, and the 284 is just a step away, in my opinion if you really want an improvement go with a 7mm long action Magnum or a WSM round.
Scott

Last edited:
SScott, I think the 284 is a little more than a "Step" away for the 7MM-08. Don't get me wrong I really like the 7MM-08 but my 284 pushes the 162AMAX 200fps faster than you are.

My .284 is a screamer. I can push it at the following

162 Amax - 3100fps
175 SMK - ~2900 fps
180 VLD - 2770

27" Bartlein Barrel 9t

Last edited:
If you are shooting a 150 grain bullet, the .284 would definitely have more juice behind it, even in a short action. Feeding from AI mags is no problem. The major downside is that brass is unobtainium right now. Per Winchester, plans to turn out more won't happen for close to a year. There is no reason you cannot neck up Lapua, Nosler, or Norma 6.5-284, however.

If you are shooting a 150 grain bullet, the .284 would definitely have more juice behind it, even in a short action. Feeding from AI mags is no problem. The major downside is that brass is unobtainium right now. Per Winchester, plans to turn out more won't happen for close to a year. There is no reason you cannot neck up Lapua, Nosler, or Norma 6.5-284, however.

I dont see where you are getting brass as a downside. Necking up 6.5-284 brass is as simple as it comes. I run necked up Lapua 6.5-284 in mine.

I dont see where you are getting brass as a downside. Necking up 6.5-284 brass is as simple as it comes. I run necked up Lapua 6.5-284 in mine.

How do you neck up and not have to neck turn? What about "donuts?" I may end up trying some Norma brass and neck up. I do not want to neck turn, nor am I set up to, or worry about donuts. I was reading about fireforming with pistol powders and cream of wheat which avoids some of the necking up issues.

Per Winchester, plans to turn out more won't happen for close to a year.

Is this straight from the horses mouth?

If so, when did they tell you this?

Very interested in the "latest" on WW 284 brass...

+1

Same here. I've got win brass, but wanted to try Lapua so I've necked up the 6.5-284 without any problems.

Is this straight from the horses mouth?

If so, when did they tell you this?

Very interested in the "latest" on WW 284 brass...

I emailed WW about a week ago and their reply was the usual, "Due to the current political...blah, blah, blah," I cannot recall the exact words but something to the effect that 284 brass wasn't something they were slated to make anytime soon. Then I see that Midways status on it went from "Seasonal run" to "Coming 05/31/2014​."

Edit 5/2 - Now it shows a date of 6/1/2013 so who knows.

Last edited:
I have a short action laying around that I was planning on using, so long action is out of the question for this one. Turbo54 what mags are you running that you can fit 2.950 round in? Being able to run that length might make the 284 a much easier choice. I can only get around 2.880 +/- a little in my AICS Mags.

Lapua and WW have very different neck thicknesses. Because you want room in the neck with a practical/tactical .284 I would advise that you decide on which brass you are going to use and tell your gunsmith to cut the neck accordingly.

Lapua and WW have very different neck thicknesses. Because you want room in the neck with a practical/tactical .284 I would advise that you decide on which brass you are going to use and tell your gunsmith to cut the neck accordingly.

Yes Sir, and even more if you true up the WW necks!
Sully

I have a short action laying around that I was planning on using, so long action is out of the question for this one. Turbo54 what mags are you running that you can fit 2.950 round in? Being able to run that length might make the 284 a much easier choice. I can only get around 2.880 +/- a little in my AICS Mags.

I've got an FN SPR with CDI bottom metal, and use Alpha type 3 mags with the feed lips tweaked and the follower "ramp" moved forward.

This is good for ~2825-2850 with 175smk without pushing.
[MENTION=13650]Graham[/MENTION]

"Very different" neck thickness between WW and Lapua brass might be a little overstated.

Loaded WW measures between .313" and .314". Loaded Lapua measures .311-.312".

A tactical field rifle oughtta have plenty of neck clearance anyway. My reamer has a .317" neck, but I bought a .319" neck reamer to punch it out.

Neck clearance of .0015 on each side, at minimum, for the brass you are using... Overstated or otherwise.

The big difference between WW brass and Lapua or Norma is the web area, if my memory serves me correctly. That is why your smith need to know which brass you will be using.