• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm-08 Remington

Re: 7mm-08 Remington

I have a friend who just bought one at my suggestion because he has some medical conditions where recoil is just not advisable. He bought a SAKO w/ 20 in barrel and he likes it a lot. The cartridge is a very capable cartridge and a fine choice if you want low recoil but sufficient energy to be effective at 500 to 600 yds on large game and much further on paper. I've heard of 7mm08 Tikka's grouping about 6 to 7 inches at 1000 and the Baretta rep says all Tikkas and A7s dont leave the factory unless they shoot under 1moa.

I have never spent any time behind one, but a fellow I shoot with that knows this game puts together some pretty small groups with his.

I have a 700 Rem SA I rebarreled to 7/08 with a Pacnor and it shoots like a champ. About 1.5" at 300 yards. I had to change the plastic stock out to a wood one and open the barrel channel considerably. Also had to cut the buttstock. Fine now.

Just switched this from sillywet to a practical rifle:
7mm08total.jpg

Ran right at moa with 162 Amax's at 100,200,300, and 500 just trying out a load this week. Now that I know where I'm at pressure/speed wise I'll do up an OCW load with them and see what she'll really do.

Looks good sobrbiker883!

Now you're going to have to get used to holding half the wind you were before with the 308.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good sobrbiker883!

Now you're going to have to get used to holding half the wind you were before with the 308.

Steve </div></div>

Thanks Steve! Since I'm stubborn about wanting to use one powder across the board, I may have to settle for 2/3 windage-unless I can find a powder that is good in 223,308 and can get the 7-08 faster with the 162's than my beloved I4895!
Coming down the hill Sunday?

7mmRM built one recently....and I will be building one soon....had the 300WM, 270WSM and the 7-08 seems like the next economical beater of the invinsable 308Win.

PM me if you want me to send you all the links I found in researching the 7-08.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7mmRM built one recently....and I will be building one soon....had the 300WM, 270WSM and the 7-08 seems like the next economical beater of the invinsable 308Win.

PM me if you want me to send you all the links I found in researching the 7-08. </div></div>

I thinking a 7mm-08 over a Rem 260

708s are good, had a few, sold them, enjoy my 260 and 6.5x55 now, less recoil, does same job for me. Been back and forth in 708 and 260, but yet to do 308.........can't seem to find a reason why.......for my needs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good sobrbiker883!

Steve </div></div>

Thanks Steve! Since I'm stubborn about wanting to use one powder across the board, I may have to settle for 2/3 windage-unless I can find a powder that is good in 223,308 and can get the 7-08 faster with the 162's than my beloved I4895!
Coming down the hill Sunday? </div></div>

Steve,

Too many shooting matches lately.I'm kinda burned out.I went to a different shooting match for 4 weekends in a row.Arg...

Also I'm in the midst of working up a load for the new 6x47L barrel.

Give your shooting buds a run for their money!

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just switched this from sillywet to a practical rifle:
7mm08total.jpg

Ran right at moa with 162 Amax's at 100,200,300, and 500 just trying out a load this week. Now that I know where I'm at pressure/speed wise I'll do up an OCW load with them and see what she'll really do.
</div></div>

Is that what your running for the 2 day match here in Vegas at the end of the month?

Recoil factor, where does the 7mm-08 fit in with .243, .308, .6.5X55, .260? Shooting heavier long range bullets.

I'd guess about 2 ft lbs more recoil than the 6.5 and 260 using 140s.

If you load all max w/similar weight bullets, they will kick very similar. I notice a 140 maxed out in the 7/08 kicking a tad more than 130s in 260 and 6.5x55. Not bad, but a little sharper. I was at the very top of my 7/08 loads.

l've just mothballed my unit to get more time in on the .308

lt runs on a Border 5R @24" in a trued Rem action and bedded HS Tac/varmint stock

120 v-max's and 46grns of N140 (lapua book max load) @3140f/ps were a little hot as they trashed the brass in 4 reloads, so l dropped to 42grns @2960f/ps and still shot into the .1's@100yrds (3 differant people all had the same results)
Rip out the 120's and throw in 130smk's and was getting 2806f/ps and again .1's

Nawt' wrong with the 7-08 that l've found.

I have a super light 7mm-08 custom Remington model 7 I hunt with that shoots sub MOA at 100 yards, but this was after another $1,200 of custom work with a Hart barrel. I also lucked out at a gun show two years where I picked up an older model Remington 700 heavy barrel BDL Custom Delux in 7mm-08. This rifle appeared unfired. I was so pleased that this rifle also shot sub MOA at 100 yards with my handloads. The trigger pull is very light and crisp....so I think the previous owner had the trigger pull lightened. I can say this purchase was one of the better ones I've made in recent years. I seem to have a nack for picking lemmons. PAT.

Ah, the seven-o-eight! My personal favorite whitetail caliber. I've got it in a 700 Mountain rifle topped with a Leupold optic. Great gun/caliber, granted, it's not really "sniper" material, but the deer don't see that little pill comin' at them for sure!! Looking to get some rounds down range soon for the upcoming hunt..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just switched this from sillywet to a practical rifle:
7mm08total.jpg

</div></div>

Is that what your running for the 2 day match here in Vegas at the end of the month? </div></div>

No I'm bringing my 308, haven't developed a load for it yet, and I'm trying to decide what glass to run on it. The 16X MK4 will have to do for now, unless I can figure out a workable trade option.