• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm-08 running the heavy's and R-17

mwroseberry

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2009
urbana, ohio
So I keep seeing guys running 208gr amaxes with R-17. Was just wondering if anyone has tried the 180VLD, 175smk or even the 162amax with R-17. And if so what kind of velocites are you getting.

Right now I'm running the following for my accuracy load.

162 amax
46.5 H4350
Winchestor brass (resized from 308)
CCI 200
2.905 OAL

46.5g gives me the best accuracy but is a compressed load. With my barrel twist I have no problem running the heavy bullets as far as stabolization but speed is the issue. I think I'm getting right around 2700 out of my 26" tube. So if I could get 2650 or faster out of the heavies they would beat my current load at long range. So is anyone doing 2650 or faster with a powder that I'm not seeing in your standard reloading manual?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Merritt

Re: 7mm-08 running the heavy's and R-17

I don't have a 7 08, but have been thinking about putting one together for the past year, so I've read up a lot. I think your headed down the right path with the 162 amax. Your current load spanks the .308. You may get some additional velocity with R17, but the jury seems to be out on exactly how temp sensitive it is. You may get a good load right now in our Ohio weather, but it may change when it gets 80-90 degrees and humid here in a few months. You will just have to test it out. If you can get a fair gain with a modest load, you should be OK. I think the 180 class bullets would be better suited in the next size case up like a straight .284 Win. or bigger. This is just my opinion based on my research. When I do get around to a 7mm build, I'm going to go with the .284 and the 162 amax I think. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MDM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have a 7 08, but have been thinking about putting one together for the past year, so I've read up a lot. I think your headed down the right path with the 162 amax. Your current load spanks the .308. You may get some additional velocity with R17, but the jury seems to be out on exactly how temp sensitive it is. You may get a good load right now in our Ohio weather, but it may change when it gets 80-90 degrees and humid here in a few months. You will just have to test it out. If you can get a fair gain with a modest load, you should be OK. I think the 180 class bullets would be better suited in the next size case up like a straight .284 Win. or bigger. This is just my opinion based on my research. When I do get around to a 7mm build, I'm going to go with the .284 and the 162 amax I think. Good luck. </div></div>

Yes I'm building a 284win for my cousin but he's running a long action. I already had the short action so that's the reason I went with the 7mm-08. I went with a 1 in 8 twist so I could run the 180s at slightly slower speeds if I needed to. But from what I'm seeing with what little pressure signs I have right now with being necked out as far as I am I see no reason why I couldn't get away with a little more pressure from the likes of R-17. I was just wondering if anyone had tired it or any other powder like it.

Thanks,
Merritt

you could get one of those new performance powders , the VV n500 series , Superformance , those might give you alittle more velocity. There are a few others powders out there that claim the same thing , more velocity.

Tried 8208 XBR with the 162 Amax. It shot really tight groups but just did not give me the FPS I was looking for.
My barrel twist is 1 in 8.7 and I know I could shoot most all the 7MM heavies but the 168 SMK behind H4350 gave me the speed and accuracy to 500 yds (my longest range length) and the OAL fits in AICS mags with the spacer intact. There is info posted in another 7MM08 thread from a couple months back. You could google thru this link:

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

Check this one out too:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...813#Post2143813

From doing some searching online I decided to pick up the 2000MR powder and do some work ups. From the alliant website using 2000MR loaded at 2.800 OAL out of a 24" barrel they have it listed right at 2700fps. Currenly I'm using a 26" and I'm getting right around 2700fps using 46.5gr H4350 and the 162amax. But I'm compressing pretty heavy and I'd rather not compress. So I figured with my longer and loaded out at 2.905 vs the recommended 2.800 I hope I can get it up around 2900. Do you guys think this is realistic?

If this work I may try to move it over into the heavier rounds but we'll see. I'll keep you guys posted on the results.

Thanks,
Merritt

2900 with 162 Amax, IMHO, is pretty optimistic.
I have some really stiff 168 VLD loads that will get just over 2800 from a 24" barrel. They are tough on primer pockets.
My 168 SMK will get to 2775 using a Hodgden web site load of 47.2 H4350. It is plenty accurate and fits AICS mag length.
Most of my loading is done with Hodgden/IMR powders. Vit is just too damn hard to get around here.
If you read the post from Team Send It on his range workup you see he was unable to get good FPS wit RL17.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is what this powder does with a larger bullet out of a 308. So I'm hoping I'm not being too optomistic.

http://www.westernshooter.com/2010/07/alliant-power-pro-2000-mr.html </div></div>

The data in the link is taken from a 30" barrel. That is very long for 308 and there is not much to compare it to. Most 308 tests are with 24" max. The author is quoting 300WM speeds there and I just don't think a normal barrel will do it.
Good luck though.
BTW, check out what Alliant has to show for it with 162 Amax:
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/r...mp;bulletid=245

I run 162s in my 7/08 AI now. Tried long and hard to get the 168 Bergers to work but the bergers take up way more case capacity.

My load is for accuracy and I'm getting decent speed.

24 inch 1/9 bartlein
Nosler brass
Fed 210M primer
162 Amax
47.0 grains of H4350
2812 FPS