• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm-08 small primer questions

mason.ostrom

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
I’ve got a 22” carbon wrapped 7-08 barrel on the way and I’ve been considering using the plethora of Lapua 308 Palma brass I have to form 7-08 brass. I know the 7SAW uses small primer brass. Is anyone using small primer brass in straight 7-08? If so any tips on forming, loads, etc. Planning on using varget or imr 4064 with 162 eld-x bullets for deer. Any info is helpful!
Mason

I’ve got a 22” carbon wrapped 7-08 barrel on the way and I’ve been considering using the plethora of Lapua 308 Palma brass I have to form 7-08 brass. I know the 7SAW uses small primer brass. Is anyone using small primer brass in straight 7-08? If so any tips on forming, loads, etc. Planning on using varget or imr 4064 with 162 eld-x bullets for deer. Any info is helpful!
Mason
Straight 7MM-08 brass uses the Large Rifle Primer

Reactions: RMB
Just use regular data and small primers.
I’d avoid CCI #400’s if you plan on getting spicy with your load.

I've had enough luck with small primer 6.5 creedmoor to try what you've said with 7mm-08.

I'm still waiting on my barrel, but I've got the palma brass necked down from one trip through my 7mm-08 FL die. Brass is loaded up and ready to go once the barrel drops....

I've had enough luck with small primer 6.5 creedmoor to try what you've said with 7mm-08.

I'm still waiting on my barrel, but I've got the palma brass necked down from one trip through my 7mm-08 FL die. Brass is loaded up and ready to go once the barrel drops....
I’m pretty much in the same boat. Are you neck turning at all?

I took measurements and based on saami specs I shouldn't have to. If you've opted for a tight neck or non-saami chamber than ymmv

I use starline SRP match .308 brass necked down.
Starline uses the standard size flash hole and I have not had any problems, I use the remington match SRP's.
I am currently using 6.5 staball with the 162's and getting very good velocity and accuracy.

Reactions: mason.ostrom