• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 7mm-08 twist rate question

Nomad Farrier

Nomad
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2009
NE Oregon
So I have an 8twist 7mm barrel that I was going to use for a 28 Nosler 195gr set up but have since decided against that build. Would I be an idiot to use that particular barrel for a 7mm-08 build to run 150-180gr pills? Is this too fast of twist for a 7mm-08?

7mm-08's alright. It shines with the high BC projectiles. If you're handloading and re-tooling for a new 7mm cartridge, consider the 7mm WTO or the 7mm-08 ackley (pretty much the same thing). The 7mmAI will still work for off-the-shelf ammo and when you reload the fireformed cases, then you can wring out the performance with additional case capacity.

If you already have the magnum bolt face action, then consider the 7mm SAUM or a 7mm Sherman Short Mag. You can down-load them for better-than-7mm-08 performance or run it hot for shooting a mile.