• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm-08 vs 6.5mm for hunting

6.5BR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2007
LA
I have run many 7/08, 260, Swede, Creed, and 47 Lapua.

Curious what the opinions are on the 7 vs a non-belted short 6.5 for hunting given the latest bullets and powders.

Consider a barrel 23" max. Anyone prefer the 7mm?

Hunters, I'd like to hear about your set up, rifle specs/glass, and loads for whichever you use. Thanks.

.264" - .284" ?????? What your asking is more of preference than actual differences. Pick one and roll with it, their both great calibers, although the 7-08 has a slight weight advantage.
SB

My dad hunts with a browning a or x bolt in 7mm-08. Nightforce SHV on top. IMO it's whatever tickles your fancy. The 7mm-08 will get 6.5creed (or slightly better) performance with more energy, but it's not like it's some huge step up from any of the good 6.5s.

biggest advantage IMO is making 7mm-08 brass from whatever 308 stuff you have laying around.

if you have a 308, reload, and you're looking to step up the performance 7mm-08 is where I'd go. If I was starting from scratch I'd probably grab the 6.5creed just because factory ammo is gonna be a little cheaper, and it's the current fad cartridge, so there's lots of stuff available for it, but 7mm-08 is no slouch.

If you re-load , 7mm GPC , 7 CM , or 7-08 AI and 7SLR would be some perhaps better choices depending on your needs . Nothing wrong with 260/6.5CM or 6.5x47 either but with the current PRS craze 6.5 bullets can be scarce at times . JMHO !

7-08s are a well established hunting round and ammo can be found almost everywhere you look if you don't hand load. Several of the 6.5s work well also

I love all the 6.5s but I've got a soft spot for the 7mm-08. I've had a few and most have been real hammers. The 7mm-8 affords a great bullet selection to choose from and terminal performance is excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If shooting 140 grain bullets in both the creed wins. Shooting 162's in the 7-08 in a long action would make it come out on top. A creed or x47 with 130-140's in a short light weight hunter is hard to beat.