• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm-08

newby

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2008
Rep of Ireland
Hey lads,
Anyone shooting 7mm-08, anyone reloading it? whats your setup? rifle/glass? Opinions?

(this is posted in hunting as i wish to use it as a deer rifle)

Re: 7mm-08

about 23 or 24 years ago I was shooting a 7-08 if I remember correctly on a benchrest gun. It was a friends rifle and did pretty good considering I was shooting against 6PPC's (walked away with a medal from that shoot). We put a Leupold fixed 20X on top and the bull barrel on that thing looked thicker then my wrist!

The 7mm-08 is an excellent cartridge. But from a tactical shooting perspective out to a max of 1000 yds, it is well behind both the 308 and 260 rem.

It is behind the 308 because there are no factory match loads for the 7mm-08, so it is a reload only proposition. So if your reload fine, if you don't, well.....

The 260 Rem does have a few match factory rounds, but it is mainly a reloaders cartridge also. When you compare 260 reloads vs 7mm-08 reloads, the 260 has better bullets, and a wider variety of match bullet options available. There is nothing that can be done with a 7mm-08 that cannot be done better with a 260 Rem. The 260 will produce a flatter shooting, better wind bucking, and less recoil producing, equally accurate round as the 7mm-08.

Now if we are talking hunting rounds, then the 7mm-08 does have some advantages, but for any type of match play, it does not.

If the 7mm-08 is behind the 308 and the 260 Rem in the available match factory loads, and the 7mm-08 is behind the 260 Rem in match reload performance, why build one, except as an excellent combo hunting/tactical shooting round? Though I'm not sure that a well loaded 260 would not do as well for game within it's range as the 7mm-08?

Again if you want one, sure build it, just to have one is a good enough reason.

Just saying......

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armourer.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey lads,
Anyone shooting 7mm-08, anyone reloading it? whats your setup? rifle/glass? Opinions?

(this is posted in hunting as i wish to use it as a deer rifle)</div></div>

I don't shoot a 7mm-08 as of yet (build in process) but I do shoot two 7x57 of very close approximate ballistics.

The rifles are both Mauser. The target gun is a VZ-24 with a 1.5" bull barrel. 6.5-20x50 Leupold VX-III. Bedded in a thumbhole stock (not sure of make) Timney target trigger. Slings studs, so I can use a Harris or sandbags.

The hunter is a Douglas heavy sporter contour in a Mexican Small ring model 1910 made in '33. It has a 1-12" twist so will only stabilize stubby 160's or up to 154 spitzer types. Glass, is a Redfield 3.5-10 with a 'dial-a-death' elevation drum calibrated to 140'/154's on top up to 500 yds. Custom trigger, not sure of make. It breaks with vary little take-up @ 4.5# The stock is a bishop. the one thing I like about the older Bishop stocks is the pistol grip. It's long and comes down at more of a straight angle with enough palm-swell that you easily wrap your hand around it. It's a lot easier for me to control while shooting offhand.

I know you asked about 7mm-08. The reason I gave you the lowdowns on my 7x57's is they give almost the same result ballistically. Not much in recoil either. Two features I like the most in my hunter are the drop comp. drum and the well fitting stock. I will eventually go to the 7mm-08 as I think the case exhibits a little more of the 'shorter-fatter' powder column and straighter case walls that give brass better life. And, I can get Lapua brass for a .308 and neck it down. One needs to neck down and turn or neck up from .243 and turn 'donut' down. But, it's very good brass. With a 1-9" twist you will have no problem stabilizing 180 gr. Bergers and 175 SMK's.
The stock is

Just got a rem700 sps varmint in 7mm-08, OUTFRIGGINSTANDING!! After the break-in time, we were shooting sub 1/2" groups at 100, switched to 500 and were hitting where she aimed. Scope is a bushnell elite 3200. Load is 50 gr H4831SC with a nosler 140gr BT. Also tried Sierra 140 gr and they shot just as well, My partner has the same rifle/scope in 308. Budsgunshop.com is the only place you will find this variant THAT I KNOW OF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Just saying......

Bob

</div></div>

Is "because I already had one set up for silhouette and wanted to play with in a practical precision role" good enough?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 7mm-08 is an excellent cartridge. But from a tactical shooting perspective out to a max of 1000 yds, it is well behind both the 308 and 260 rem.

It is behind the 308 because there are no factory match loads for the 7mm-08, so it is a reload only proposition. So if your reload fine, if you don't, well.....

The 260 Rem does have a few match factory rounds, but it is mainly a reloaders cartridge also. When you compare 260 reloads vs 7mm-08 reloads, the 260 has better bullets, and a wider variety of match bullet options available. There is nothing that can be done with a 7mm-08 that cannot be done better with a 260 Rem. The 260 will produce a flatter shooting, better wind bucking, and less recoil producing, equally accurate round as the 7mm-08.

Now if we are talking hunting rounds, then the 7mm-08 does have some advantages, but for any type of match play, it does not.

If the 7mm-08 is behind the 308 and the 260 Rem in the available match factory loads, and the 7mm-08 is behind the 260 Rem in match reload performance, why build one, except as an excellent combo hunting/tactical shooting round? Though I'm not sure that a well loaded 260 would not do as well for game within it's range as the 7mm-08?

Just saying......

Bob

</div></div>Better barrel life???

I think I would build one if I knew I could get another 1000-2000 rounds barrel life compared to the 6.5's.

Conjecture at this point.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 7mm-08 is an excellent cartridge. But from a tactical shooting perspective out to a max of 1000 yds, it is well behind both the 308 and 260 rem.

Bob

</div></div>

Bob, would you mind clarifying a few of your statements?

What match ammo is available for the 260 besides the Black Hills?

How do you think the 260 has better bullets than the 7mm? I am curious how the 140VLD in 6.5 fairs against the 180VLD in 7mm?

I am not sure about the "more bullets available" either. I would like an example if you have one.

Now I do agree with this:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is nothing that can be done with a 7mm-08 that cannot be done better with a 260 Rem. The 260 will produce a flatter shooting, better wind bucking, and less recoil producing, equally accurate round as the 7mm-08.</div></div>

But I don't think you are correct as far as bullets go. 7mm bullets have excellent ballistics which is backed up by the popularity of the 7wsm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armourer.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey lads,

(this is posted in hunting as i wish to use it as a deer rifle)</div></div>

REPEAT POST.....ALSO IN THE HUNTING SECTION

Just saying......

Bob

</div></div>

CORBON MAKES MATCH 7/08!!!!!!

Also. The 7/08 can do things better than the 260!!!! BETTER BARREL LIFE!!!!

That is why you see alot of people swithching from the 6.5x284 to the straight 284.

They are all great for sure. But the 7/08 is a FANTASTIC cartridge.

I'd say the people doubting the 7mm-08 have never ever actually worked with one.

Yes, match rounds in 7mm-08 are hard to find. But quality 7mm-08 ammo beats .308 hands down.

There are few .260 Match bullet makers, Black Hills being one of them. Usually you have to order it. And they don't tailor it to your gun.

So, your left finding a custom reloader (if you don't reload). Which is what you should be doing anyway if you want to win competitions.

The best way to win at competitions is to reload. Period, hands down. Unless of course the match says "issued ammo". Which precludes even the .260

So, if you want hunting bullets load up a 140/154 or even 175. gr. bullet to 2900 fps. or 3k even if you want to push it. Try that with a .260.

The 7mm-08 is a very efficient cartridge. certainly every bit as good as the .260 and will give you better barrel life. You just have to work with it to know how good they are.

thanks for all the info lads, now im back to where i was caliber wise, the lack of factory match, is kinda leaning me towards a .308!! anyway ive reading to do

armourer.308,

If you don't want to reload but want a more capable long range cartridge then why not consider 6.5 Creedmoor???Better ballistics than 308 and somewhat similar to 708 ballistically.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So, if you want hunting bullets load up a 140/154 or even 175. gr. bullet to 2900 fps. or 3k even if you want to push it. Try that with a .260.
</div></div>

You are getting a 175gn bullet at 2900 to 3000fps? How can you do that with a 7-08 but it can't be done in a 308 which is the parent case?

How is the availability of US made ammo in Ireland? Seems like the $130 Lee Reloading kit will be well worth the cost if you are going to have a hard time getting any caliber of US made ammo. There are plenty of forign powder makers that you could probably take 7x57 load data and go up from there.

IMO with a reloading press 2 feet from me and powder and primer and bullets as well as factory 308 loads readily available to me.....again...L/A 280AI 168 VLD's and S/A 7-08 with 168 Berger VLD.

Sobrbiker

I'm thinking of getting a 7-08 as a dual purpose silhouette / hunting rifle. With a 10 lb 2 oz weight limit, what do you use ? I've been looking at sako and tikka varmints, but am concerned with scope/ mount weight so I can stay under the limit. I'm guessing my nxs 3.5-15x50 will be too heavy.

Any thoughts or advice?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Bob, would you mind clarifying a few of your statements?

What match ammo is available for the 260 besides the Black Hills?

How do you think the 260 has better bullets than the 7mm? I am curious how the 140VLD in 6.5 fairs against the 180VLD in 7mm?

I am not sure about the "more bullets available" either. I would like an example if you have one.

Now I do agree with this:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is nothing that can be done with a 7mm-08 that cannot be done better with a 260 Rem. The 260 will produce a flatter shooting, better wind bucking, and less recoil producing, equally accurate round as the 7mm-08.</div></div>

But I don't think you are correct as far as bullets go. 7mm bullets have excellent ballistics which is backed up by the popularity of the 7wsm.
</div></div>

Mike,

Sure, Black Hills, Corbon and HSM for 260 match ammo. Somebody down lower in the thread mentioned Corbon as well for the 7mm-08, and I was not aware of that fact.

By more bullets in 6.5 caliber what I mean a wider range of match bullets of High BC. 7mm bullets are uniformly excellent, and have a excellent selection. But the 6.5mm has an even greater selection. Berger lists 5 bullets for 6.5 cal with BC's over .453. Berger lists on 3 match bullets in total for 7mm, the lightest being 168 grains. In addition Lapua makes there excellent 123 grain 6.5 bullet with a BC around .547.

As far a comparing the 140 VLD with the 180 VLD. Well the 140 is 40 grains lighter, producing less recoil, and can be driven faster in a 260 than a 180 can be driven in a 7mm-08.

Now if were talking a different 7mm cartridge than the 7mm-08 vs 260 vs 308, then my analysis would reflect that. certainly a 7mm WSM or 7mm RSAUM can drive a 180 faster than a 260 can drive a 140. But at what cost in barrel life, and recoil on the shooter?

Please understand I think the 7mm-08 is outstanding in every way, and it is superior to the 308 for the reloader. But in my opinion, it is not superior to the 260 Rem as a Tactical Comps cartridge. This is so because the 260 has match bullets of higher BC, that can be driven faster than equal 7mm-08 bullets BC wise, and it does so with less recoil.

As far as barrel life goes, it would seem based on pressures used and velocity, powders used, et al, the 260, and 7mm-08 should near equal. A 308 win barrel will last longer than both, of course.

So in considering both the 260 and 7mm-08 as reloaders cartridges, due to a dirth of factory match ammo. Then comparing them, I find the 260 is faster, flatter shooting, less recoil, and equal accuracy to the 7mm-08. If those are not considered virtues, then pray tell what are?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

I understand now as you've explained it specifically within the confines of the two cartridges. I thought you were broad-stroking and realize you were not.

BTW I am in complete agreement about the 260 vs. 7-08.

Thanks for the clarification.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> armourer.308,

If you don't want to reload but want a more capable long range cartridge then why not consider 6.5 Creedmoor???Better ballistics than 308 and somewhat similar to 708 ballistically.

Steve

</div></div>

Because that caliber wouldnt be available here in Ireland, id say if i asked for it in a gunshop the lad behind the counter wouldnt have a notion what it is i was talking about!!!!

which would mean i would have to reload which is basically a legal grey area in Ireland, some lads do it but they are on dicey ground!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyTRG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sobrbiker

I'm thinking of getting a 7-08 as a dual purpose silhouette / hunting rifle. With a 10 lb 2 oz weight limit, what do you use ? I've been looking at sako and tikka varmints, but am concerned with scope/ mount weight so I can stay under the limit. I'm guessing my nxs 3.5-15x50 will be too heavy.

Any thoughts or advice? </div></div>

I'm shooting a four year old <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Remington 700 Mountain rifle</span></span> in seven-o-eight, and its an amazing platform for the caliber. It was designed to be lightweight, maybe check that one out..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

You are getting a 175gn bullet at 2900 to 3000fps? How can you do that with a 7-08 but it can't be done in a 308 which is the parent case?</div></div>

Sorry, 140/154 can get that good. I added the 175 and forgot to correct. You can get 2700 with those.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armourer.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> armourer.308,

Steve

</div></div>

Because that caliber wouldnt be available here in Ireland, id say if i asked for it in a gunshop the lad behind the counter wouldnt have a notion what it is i was talking about!!!!

which would mean i would have to reload which is basically a legal grey area in Ireland, some lads do it but they are on dicey ground!!</div></div>

So, basically reloading appears not to be an option for you?

In that case you have a lot more available to you in .308 That would mean .308 would win this decision by default.

Ive now got a several hundred rounds on my 7mm08, and can say I sure wish I had built one alot earlier. 162AMAX, 168 Berger VLDs @ 2700+(22" Tube) leave very little to be desired. I have a bunch of 308s and the 7mm08 leaves it in the dust and then some. Cant say much about the 260. Never had one. Its on the build list, but another 7mm08 will come first. Yes, its that good!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyTRG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sobrbiker

Any thoughts or advice? </div></div>

My rifle was built to make hunter weight (under 9lbs). Its a 700 with a Douglas tube (24", I think its their Heavy magnum contour). To make weight it was in a Pharr stock, with LW Talley one piece rings/bases, and a Weaver T24. Lightweight shroud, mag box drilled to swiss cheese, drilled out flip-flop material buttpad. Comes in at 8.9 lbs.
Bottom rifle:
twins005.jpg

Not really dual purpose, for precision rifle its a stock change, optics mount and scope change (same barreled action):
7mm08total.jpg

Pretty much yea reloading is out the window, there may be some legislation in the new year to change that, but i dont want to pick a rifle/caliber based on what might be!!!

Also i dont think i was clear, this rifle is solely for punching holes in deer, its not for punching paper out to a 1k!! Does anyone here think it would be possible to get a sub-moa factory hunting load or am i deluding myself!!! Now i am replacing the factory stock with a manners or a McMillan....

thoughts??

My plan is to buy one of these:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=143841740

Have my smith chop it to 18" and see if I like the velocity. If I like the velocity, when I rebarrel I will know what length I will run, right before I rebarrel I will chop to 16" and see what the drop in velocity is.

Scope: Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 with Mildot reticle, Mils at 12x.

Stock: McMillan A1-3 or the new sporter A3.

I will reload with 168gr Berger VLD's and possibly hunt deer out to 400 yards with it.

For a strictly hunting rig I would go with 7-08.....shoot Federal Premium loaded with Nosler Accubonds or Barnes TSX bullets and kill some shit.

I have a Howa 7mm-08 and man I love it. My 7 year old daughter shoots it and can keep her shots inside a pie plate at 100yds. I have a 3x9 Burris and its a great setup. I love hunting with it and the kids do also because of the recoil being like that of a 243. I would recommend the gun to anyone and the kids don't flintch from it so its a great kid's gun!

I kinda like my 7-08:)
For me it is a dual purpose stick. It's my go-to'. Always the first thing in reach when the safe opens...

It's fun for F Class at 1000 or deer at 500.

You generalized your "purpose" as a deer rifle. Well this one has put 20+ down for a dirt nap. So ya it works as do so many others.

Other pros:
Bullet selection-check
Likes Varget-check
Brass, wide selection for re-sizing- check
Recoil friendly- check
Lots of data from many shooters/ disciplines- check
Good BBL Life- check

7-08, I have nothing bad to say about it.
My basis is from owning/using everything from .223 to the big 300's. If you get really specific each caliberry has its place (s) and I am not about to get into that discussion. For me this is my most well rounded rig/ caliber.

wideviewsf.jpg

I had my 7-08 built as a hunting rifle. It weighs right at 7 lbs scoped and slings 120gr TSXs @ 3000+ from a 21" Broughton. For launching heavies, I gots a 7Wizzer...