• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

7mm-08

Re: 7mm-08

I read somewhere in the forum that bullets with longer bearing surface are less sensitive to jump. My tikka 7mm-08 has alot of freebore and loves the 140gr. Nosler Accubond.

So long as your not running VLD style bullets a jump shouldn't matter all that much. Chose a hunting bullet that tickles your fancy and load for it. It should shoot just fine. My Remington SPS-T in 308 has over .100" free bore and cannot be loaded to the lands without 220's loaded backwards. She still shoots 1/4 groups from time to time loaded to sammi spec.

Again chose a bullet and have fun.

You should still be able to get good accuracy with a big jump provided your brass is good, neck tension is ok across the board and your loaded rounds have little run out.

Thanks for your help. The reason I asked is because I can't get the rifle to group better than 2 MOA. I have tried different powders and was going to try a different bullet. I have tried the 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip with no luck. Guess I'll grab a box of the Hornady SST and give them a shot.

Have you eliminated all the other variables. Stock, Scope, Scope mount, Shooter. They all will throw the shots that far. Do a once over of the rifle. If you have a different scope that you trust, may try that also.

Everything is factory on the gun. It has a 22" barrel with a 9 1/4 twist. Nothing touching the barrel. Nothing binding the trigger or action that I can tell. I don't think its the gun. I can shoot the Hornady factory ammo with 139gr SST bullets just fine. Its around 3/4"-1" MOA with that factory ammo. I just can't seem to find an accurate load for it. Thats why I thought I would try the SST bullets. I have tried two different powders. I just can't get it to shoot yet. I'm happy with the factory ammo but I can't afford to shoot it often with that price tag.

I'm assuming you're wanting a hunting bullet. Don't ask me why but my savage factory barrel hated hornady's. Try a set of sierras. I think they make a 150-160gr gameking that I have a feeling would work great for you. On the sierras look up the load data on google for the 7mm-08 and look at the accuracy velocity and use the powder you have at that velocity. It sounds like your barrel is very picky.

Good luck,
Merritt

My 9.5 twist Browning likes sierra pro hunter 140 gr with a .020 jump and 42 gr of Varget. It shoots the SST's with more of a jump as good as the sierra's so if your looking for a longer jump try them out. I'm not at my bench so I cant remember what the difference is between the seating of the Sierra's and Hornady's but they definitely liked to be set deeper.
My gun prefers 140 grainers and Varget but I'm also getting decent groups with a 160 gr Sierra HPBT with a .020 jump. Just took down a cow elk with this load last weekend.

Brett