• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 7mm 180 ELDM blow ups.

Steel head

Feral kitten
Minuteman
  • Aug 3, 2014
    Washington
    So I dropped my current load of R26 in my 7 saum that was at 2950 yesterday .8 of a grain to see if blow ups stopped.
    Not sure of speed but I’m guessing 2850-2870ish.
    They were still occasionally popping:(

I’m going elsewhere now, It’s too bad because their performance to price was awesome when they didn’t pop.

That sucks. I’m building a 7 max, won’t bother w the 180 ELD. Thanks for posting.

Any issues w the Berger 195?

How many grooves is your barrel?

Huh? They've been flawless for me. Straight 284 at 2840 fps

A friend also had issues with the Hornady 212 ELD-M's in a 300 WM. I believe he had a 10 twist Broughton and was pushing them @~3025, maybe a little harder IIRC. I don't believe that he was ever able to diagnose the problem- but it did cost him a high placing at an ELR shoot due to the bullet blow-ups.

A friend also had issues with the Hornady 212 ELD-M's in a 300 WM. I believe he had a 10 twist Broughton and was pushing them @~3025, maybe a little harder IIRC. I don't believe that he was ever able to diagnose the problem- but it did cost him a high placing at an ELR shoot due to the bullet blow-ups.
    That’s a new one to me.
    I haven’t herd of the 30 Cal’s having issues.
    I was also having issues with the 147’s last summer and fall but that seems to have resolved itself.

I did hear of a few 30 cal on FB months ago. I think was on the 300 PRC Forum.

My 338 285 ELD holding strong but thats a THICKER jacket!

Reactions: DIBBS
    I've only had them blow up on two occasions. 3030-3080 out of an 8 twist. Both times the barrel was pretty hot.

Thought about reaching out to Hornady?
    Not really
    It doesn’t seem to be a problem for most.
    I’ll just shoot other bullets.
    They show up tomorrow.

Even spinning the bejesus out of them the 168 Berger’s I got on sale were awesome yesterday to past 1500 and I got a bunch of those.
    For the mile + stuff I’ll shoot the 190 hybrids.
    They’re proving to be pretty awesome.

I pushed them at 3200+ from a 28 Nosler, 8 twist. Couldn’t get a hit spotted past 600.
    Although they did work fine for me out of a 9 twist 7 saum at 2900.
    Speaking of which, anyone have a 9 twist and want to buy about 500 of the 180s? ?

Not trying to hijack thread but I took my saum out today first time shooting 175 elite hunter with rl -26 done a latter test and got up to 61.2 grains with a velocity of 2826 24" barrel. Ant thoughts on how much more I can go up on powder I had no pressure signs on brass or bolt.i no u can't give an exact number .never used rl - 26 before

1584844263295.jpeg

This is my ladder with 7 saum, Stiller action, 26” bartlein barrel, loaded to 2.9” OAL. RL26, 180. My sweet spot was 61, but I think my barrel length got me a little more velocity. You can see I had a higher node starting at 61.6 but at that point I was crunching and didn’t trust that pressure would be ok I’m warmer weather.

I think high 60.8-low 61 could be good. Your dope should be excellent at 2850 fps range. You might be able to inch up another half grain, but I would be super cautious.

Reactions: BCX
    Not trying to hijack thread but I took my saum out today first time shooting 175 elite hunter with rl -26 done a latter test and got up to 61.2 grains with a velocity of 2826 24" barrel. Ant thoughts on how much more I can go up on powder I had no pressure signs on brass or bolt.i no u can't give an exact number .never used rl - 26 before
    I’d think you can get to 2850-2875 easily

If this is new brass and barrel you’ll probably get there anyways on second firing of brass and the barrel speeds up
    I got to 60.5 with 180’s and 61 with 168’s.
    168 definitely had some more room to go but load at 60 grains just shot so awesome.

Im gonna do a mild work up with the 180 eldm and see if I can get them shooting decent at 2850 so I can shoot the test and actually have them hit something.

I had some wacky Valley winds today but the 185RDF’s look promising.

Reactions: 65x55guy
    I pushed them at 3200+ from a 28 Nosler, 8 twist. Couldn’t get a hit spotted past 600.
    Although they did work fine for me out of a 9 twist 7 saum at 2900.
    Speaking of which, anyone have a 9 twist and want to buy about 500 of the 180s? ?

Hey I'll make you a special deal on my 450 count 22 cal 88gr eldm's, that were blowing up in my 223AI, you know a package thing, this way people can do lot's of blow up experimentation to see what it's like, lol.

• Haha
    Reactions: 65x55guy
    i Had a few buddies who gave me a hard time for running all Berger’s when their Hornady’s “ shot just as well” for less $$. Then 2 of them started getting bullets blowing up.
    Now my Berger’s seem like a pretty good deal.

Reactions: BCX
    That's interesting to hear these problems. I've ran close to 1k of these in my 280ai between 2850-2975 or so and never has anything but good experiences.

Reactions: Rob01
    i Had a few buddies who gave me a hard time for running all Berger’s when their Hornady’s “ shot just as well” for less $$. Then 2 of them started getting bullets blowing up.
    Now my Berger’s seem like a pretty good deal.

A good number of barrels that I've seen that blow up ELD-M's also blew up Sierras and a couple blew up Bergers, too. Twist, bore condition, rifling configuration, heat, etc.. all plays into it and gets to a point that no Pb core bullet will hold together.

Seen it happen with 147s and 225s in two if my barrels. My last two boxes I haven't had any issues

That's interesting to hear these problems. I've ran close to 1k of these in my 280ai between 2850-2975 or so and never has anything but good experiences.

under 3000 or 3100 in 8 twist seems to be ok. Hornady has the calculation somewhere on their website. Essentially it’s revolutions per second, I think. Velocity x barrel twist.

I had great experiences in that same speed category as yours with a 7 saum.

Reactions: RogueTanker
    Not really
    It doesn’t seem to be a problem for most.
    I’ll just shoot other bullets.
    They show up tomorrow.

Even spinning the bejesus out of them the 168 Berger’s I got on sale were awesome yesterday to past 1500 and I got a bunch of those.
    For the mile + stuff I’ll shoot the 190 hybrids.
    They’re proving to be pretty awesome.
    How'd the Berger's do? You running them about 3100 or so?

MV (ft/s) X 12 / twist (in.) X 60 = rpm

3147 X 12 / 7.5 X 60 = 302,112 rpm for an imaginary 7.5 twist .243 ackley.

Approaching 300k rpm is where things are liable to get funky, but that's not all of it. Heat and bore condition play a part, too. And bullet construction.

How'd the Berger's do? You running them about 3100 or so?
    My original load was at 2935ish with H4831SC and it shot wonderful(as it always does) but I only had a pound of it so it didn’t last long.
    Ran a test with R26 a while back and easily got over 3000 with out any Pressure but 2875 was the happy place.

Really happy with how they shoot!
    On my plate at 1525 yards they do quite well.
    It’s pretty mild but I’m happy with the performance.

I wish I’d bought a couple thousand now.
    I’m contemplating getting more 4831sc.
    That load hammered but the load with R26 is also pretty good.

MV (ft/s) X 12 / twist (in.) X 60 = rpm

3147 X 12 / 7.5 X 60 = 302,112 rpm for an imaginary 7.5 twist .243 ackley.

Approaching 300k rpm is where things are liable to get funky, but that's not all of it. Heat and bore condition play a part, too. And bullet construction.

From what I've gleaned from reading here and there it seems that if a barrel is twisted .5 slower than what we'd think per caliber for those longest bullets, and bore is .0005 larger, maybe lands a tad lower, and a 5R profile is used, that this helps lower the possibility of blow up's.

It's theorised that when a bullet gets too hot the lead core starts to melt causing....

Years ago I had almost 3000 rounds through a 6x47L barrel and was alerted by a friend who saw white smoke coming out of the DTACS I was using. Most were making it to the target and I did well in the match but I pulled the barrel when I got home.

Had 20 cal 55 grain Bergers doing the same in 20x47L with comma's on paper targets.

Man I'm so done with these bullet problems!

i had a 147 go through a target sideways. Strange to me it was fired out of an 8 twist 6.5cm. Probably low 2800 for velocity.

I was having 147’s blow up as well for a while but that seems to have been corrected.
    It was the strangest thing. First and only time I’ve ever experience anything like it. I went back to my standby 140 load.

i had a 147 go through a target sideways. Strange to me it was fired out of an 8 twist 6.5cm. Probably low 2800 for velocity.

I had a 55g dog town go through the target sideways one day. I either lost the group when I moved, or it fell behind the safe that is bolted the floor. 10 shots less than an inch with one sideways through the target almost touching the rest of them. One of those things I will never figure out.

Here’s a video I took I think two weeks ago.
    180 ELDM’s at slightly reduced charge to get 2890 FPS
    These were my first shots with that rifle that day so Absolutely cold Barrel.

On the third shot you can hear the sonic crack of the bullet stop really early.

Hopefully they straighten it out like the 147’s seem to have done.

Got some 180 eldm for free. 7mm rem mag 1-8 twist 28inch barrel had 90% blow ups at 100 yards!!!!

• Wow
    Reactions: Steel head
    Got some 180 eldm for free. 7mm rem mag 1-8 twist 28inch barrel had 90% blow ups at 100 yards!!!!
    I shot 10 of them yesterday,,,4-5 of them popped.
    I even dropped the speed to 2875.

If you want a cheaper 7mm heavy the 185 RDF’s are proving to be pretty decent.
    I had pretty good results yesterday and today at 1930 yards.

I shot 10 of them yesterday,,,4-5 of them popped.
    I even dropped the speed to 2875.

If you want a cheaper 7mm heavy the 185 RDF’s are proving to be pretty decent.
    I had pretty good results yesterday and today at 1930 yards.
    R u jumping rdf 's

I only chronograph 1 it was doing 3086 ft that or the 190 Burger which one do you recommend past a mile