• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 7mm 180 smk bc?

OKbow87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2006
Oklahoma City, OK
Just wondering if anybody has come up with a verified bc for the sierra 7mm 180 matchking? I tried the custom google search engine, but didn't come up with anything. Thanks!

Colin

Re: 7mm 180 smk bc?

+1. Anyone?

Their 175grainers rock and would be very interested if anyone has anything to report on the new 180.

thanks

I have not shot them personally, but shoot F-Class with a guy that has used the smk 180s and the Berger 180 VLDS. He says the Sierra 180s shoot only a touch behind the Bergers on elevation and wind - meaning the Bergers have a slightly higher BC. His results are consistent with the published data.

Jeffvn

I don't have enough of them down range yet to give you much info. But in my limited data gathering, the G1 data in JBM is correct to 700 yards.
If I get time this weekend, I will extend that range and confirm my velocities, and post results.
They are showing great promise, if things hold at longer range, than this will be the bullet for this rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OKbow87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just wondering if anybody has come up with a verified bc for the sierra 7mm 180 matchking? I tried the custom google search engine, but didn't come up with anything. Thanks!

Colin</div></div>

Best I can give is somewhere around .325-.330 for G7 BC. More testing will still need to be done.

So you guys think that the 180 hybrid and 180 smk would probably be a toss up as far as bc? Are you guys jumping the 180 smk, or having better luck jamming them like a 180 vld.

Thanks!

MTETM What are you shooting for a rifle, caliber, twist and barrel length? I am curious. Next 200 gr wildcats

Jeff

7mm Allen mag. Bat action, built by Kirby

I run them right at the lands. I didn't try anything other than that, they shot so well I called it good.

No clue on how to measure BC but, JBM works out exact to 900+ where it is about .2-.3 low from there to 1k.

I am shooting a 280AI on a Trued Remington action in a Manners T-5. Benchmark Barrels medium Palma 1:9 at 29 inches. Reamer is a PTG - speced for Remington 280 brass, no-turn neck, throated for Berger 168's. OAL for the 180 load is 3.330 or .015 jump. I built the rifle.

On formed brass I am shooting 58.5gr H4831sc with bullets Hbn coated. The bullets flat shoot for me. If I have time tomorrow, I will put them on paper at 1000 to see how they do and verify data.

I fired a 5 shot group tonight to verify my 500 yard data that was better,less than 1/2 moa.. I am very pleased. Won't say I can always do this, but it shoots very well, and tonight it was all great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: holdthatcow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MTETM What are you shooting for a rifle, caliber, twist and barrel length? I am curious. Next 200 gr wildcats

Jeff

7mm Allen mag. Bat action, built by Kirby</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OKbow87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you guys think that the 180 hybrid and 180 smk would probably be a toss up as far as bc? Are you guys jumping the 180 smk, or having better luck jamming them like a 180 vld.

Thanks!</div></div>

The 180 Hybrid and SMK's were both designed specifically to not be so seating depth critical (as it pertains to super accuracy).

I got a couple boxes, the BC seems to be in the 0.65G1 range; a touch lower than the VLD Berger.

I've shot the two 180 Berger offerings and the 180 SMK. The Berger Hybrids like 0.010-0.025" off the lands in my rifles; 0.015 being the best.

The SMK's ran fine at 0.020" off the lands.

The VLDs were characteristically fussy, like most of us have come to expect. When they were "in tune" they shot wonderfully.

The 175 SMK's and the 180's don't share a tail design. The 180 SMK is almost a dead ringer to the 180 Berger VLD and Hybrid. The Bergers did not transition; I have not had the opportunity to launch the 180's past the transition point yet.

Overall, the 180 SMK shoots very well from the two 7mm rifles that I shot it from. I probably won't dump my Berger Hybrids or 175 SMK's for it though.

The Hybrid gives me more supersonic range and less drift. The 175 SMK transitions and allows me to take the shots past 1800-1900yd if I <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic">really</span></span> wanted to.

Actually, I'd love to take shots like that more often, but getting up to the old mine property to do that is becoming harder and harder. I find myself barely shooting that rifle, as much fun as it is. It has a tendency to be very hard on targets inside of 600yd.

Update:
I still can not give you a BC on the 180 SMK, but I can tell you that JBM and the G1 data is very close.
This was 6 of 11 shots at 1530 yards this evening. The first was .4 mil high, the other 4 were lost out the sides, 1 to the right, other 3 to the left.
DA: 2711
1530yards at 2870fps : 15.2 mil. from JBM. This was fired at 14.8 after the first shot correction.
Range was determined by a couple of GPS units.

The target is 30 inches and the spray can is 8 inches for the the "can" portion.
Wind was between 4-8, I had 1 mil dialed and was holding off as I saw or felt changes.

This is the back of the target, my daughter and my house with firing deck...
I believe I will stick with the 180's in this rifle. I am very pleased.
2011-10-28_17-30-32_794.jpg

2011-10-28_17-30-01_950.jpg

where did the other 5 rounds go? Were they short or long, or did the wind grab them? Just curious to see if we could piece together any more data on the 180s based on those other 5.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where did the other 5 rounds go? Were they short or long, or did the wind grab them? Just curious to see if we could piece together any more data on the 180s based on those other 5.

</div></div>
James,

I had commented that the first shot was .4 mil high, the other 4 shots were misses due to me not seeing the wind fluctuations. The impacts were all about the same elevation as far as I could tell. The shot that I missed to the right was a bit low, and very well could have been shooter induced...ie: I jerked the shot!.
If I get a chance, I will try to put the load through the chronograph later day. Or, better yet, I will put another 15 or so at the target...