• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm 6.5 x 47?

A

atreeman

Anyone done one of these? Thinking of one for an 18 inch barreled rifle.

reasons:

different expansion ratio to the 6.5 should allow a shorter barrel to be more effective

easy conversion (little brass prep)

Good components

Any views?

Re: 7mm 6.5 x 47?

18 inches isn't near enough barrel to get a high bc 7mm bullet moving Bullets like a 162 amax or 168 vld are Gunna need at least 24 " to be worth the trouble

Sorry guys, should have been clear in my o.p.

The rifle will be primarily a hunter and will use bullets in the 130-140gr range.

18 inch barrel to compensate for length of moderator/keep the rifle handy

Moderate velocity is no great issue for a hunting round used within 500 yards

Moderate velocity also desirable from a bullet performance point of view (i.e. non violent expansion which can happen sometimes at higher velocities)

Lower pressures will be fine as it will be a good round to suppress.

If I can achieve velocities in the region of 2600fps with the 140 then happy days.

Essentially I'm looking for the ballistic twin of the experimental .280 British round of the 40s.

Any thoughts on this (better explained, sorry again :)) spec?

Regards

G

Reactions: Bmaier69

Look at data from Mark Gordon's 7 Creedmoor project. 7 Creedmoor and 7X47 Lapua are peas in a pod.

I have a 7mm wildcat project in the works, soon as I get some data from a 20" barrel I'll share.

Reactions: BenjaminMartin6.5

Doesn't look like there's any info here except for hearsay. No real experience or data. If your heart is set on it, try it and share your experience.

However, seems like the 7mm-08 would do what you want it to do. I'd go that route, personally.

Thanks guys, all good info to consider.

I know 7-08 would do it. I'm just wondering if can make the 47 case perform my task with less powder, blast and recoil (and no I'm not a recoil sensitive 7 stone laydee... :)) it would just be advantageous to have it do so).

Don't get me wrong, the 7-08 is a great cartridge.

Perhaps it's just the 'road less travelled'

Maybe another case would provide a more appropriate base? Trouble is that I cannot find another proprietary case with approximately the same case capacity as the original .280 Brit.

At a guess the capacity is around 40-42grs of H2O.

Any ideas?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCourt Munitions LLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at data from Mark Gordon's 7 Creedmoor project. 7 Creedmoor and 7X47 Lapua are peas in a pod.

I have a 7mm wildcat project in the works, soon as I get some data from a 20" barrel I'll share. </div></div>

7 Blackout??? Lol...

Nope.

I've got the 7 Blackout bracketed with 6.5 MUTT and 300 MUTT. 7mm doesn't fit into case very well.

7mm cartridge optimized around 2.800" OAL with 168 JLKs.

I'll make a phone call, see when my 7mm project will be done.

7X47 Lapua should do what you want, never know until you do it.

Thanks Andrew, appreciate it.

Think someone mentioned a 7mm-22-250..

Case is around the right size and there is lapua brass available now. Perhaps this would be a contender too..

I'll have to get some cases to compare capacities etc now

Drat.

I have always thought about a 7x55 AI Swede, would be sick

7mm-250 would probably work but has a bit more body taper then I'd like. I'd go 7X47 Lapua over the 7-250 for less body taper, 30 degree shoulder, and small primer pocket.

Soon as the 7mm wildcat is here, will post up some pictures of round and data.

I take it that supplies are less available in the UK than here in the US, I would let that be your guide to choosing a rifle/chambering, since any of them apparently will fit your requirements

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Special Delivery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have always thought about a 7x55 AI Swede, would be sick </div></div>

lot of unburned powder to F up the can with the short barrel

In theory you should achieve higher velocity for similar weight bullets in 7mm over 6.5.

Like we see in the 6TCU firing 75gr bullets over the .223 shooting the same wight bullets. It has something to do with bearing surface, friction and bore.

Not sure what velocity you would achieve but out of a standard AICS mag you would be able to seat the 162 A-max nice and long compared to the 7-08.

atreeman, do you visit ukvarminting.com? A great uk forum.

6.5X47L brass is easy to get your hands on, I'd do a 7X47L and not look back.

I've got a 7BR rifle set up for 168 JLKs, based on data from that rifle....you'll meet your desired velocity goals with ease.

Build it and enjoy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scotch egg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In theory you should achieve higher velocity for similar weight bullets in 7mm over 6.5.

Like we see in the 6TCU firing 75gr bullets over the .223 shooting the same wight bullets. It has something to do with bearing surface, friction and bore.

Not sure what velocity you would achieve but out of a standard AICS mag you would be able to seat the 162 A-max nice and long compared to the 7-08.

atreeman, do you visit ukvarminting.com? A great uk forum. </div></div>

Indeedy, I was one of the original members. My handle is Zaitsev.

I posted this here as I was pretty sure no one our side of the pond had done one. As it turns out, there seems to be scant information stateside too.

Andrews project sounds promising though and I'm looking forward to seeing the round and data.

Cheers

G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCourt Munitions LLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5X47L brass is easy to get your hands on, I'd do a 7X47L and not look back.

I've got a 7BR rifle set up for 168 JLKs, based on data from that rifle....you'll meet your desired velocity goals with ease.

Build it and enjoy! </div></div>

Agreed, the brass is very attractive for the 6.5x47 and will need minimum fiddling with.

7BR was a contender but just falls shy (I think) of achieving what I want without careering over the ragged edge.

Pressure should be somewhat reduced from the 6.5 version, should make for easier suppression.

1/2 a bottle of best red wine feck'd my post
crazy.gif

I'll give you a bell tomorro nite mate.

Ratty.