• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

7mm Dakota

Alpine Gunworks

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2012
SLC, UT
www.alpinegunworks.com
Over the last week or so I was able to put some of the finishing touches on my 7mm Dakota build. I added a rail on the bottom of the handguard to accept the Atlas bipod and a flush cup. Then added a part on the rear of the buttstock to also allow for a flush cup. I decided to try out the Atlas bipod after using the Harris for years. I have to admit its pretty sweet! Took me awhile to get used to it but was able to shoot some nice groups off the bench at 100yrds. I'm shooting for 3000 fps with the 180gr berger and almost there.

Here is the build specs:

Long action Alpine Chassis, Stiller Tac 300 action, McGowan 26" barrel 1:9 twist chambered in 7mm Dakota, Rem Sendero contour fluted with a top 3 ported muscle brake by Jim See at Center Shot Rifles, Jewell trigger, Badger angle cosine indicator, Nightforce 5.5-22x50mm MOAR recticle high speed and zero stop, Nightforce medium rings and stiller 20moa base.

BtJ7wFS.jpg

3 shot group H1000 180gr Berger.
491Bxi7.jpg

Re: 7mm Dakota

Nice rig, I've got a 7 Dakota, it's a sporter style rifle but it shoots really well, I find the brass is super durable, and it's really not picky about the loads I feed it.

Looks like your is gonna be a shooter too.

Good luck with your rig.

Re: 7mm Dakota

Thanks! Yeah I really like this cartridge. This will be my comp gun this year and I'm thinking it will last me a couple years before the barrel is shot out. I've never shot out a barrel but I'm thinking this one might be the first. Does anyone know how many rounds I might get out of this? I'm not going to hot rod it too much and will settle on a nice stable load. I wish more people would shoot it so the price of brass would come down some. It feeds really well though from the 300 win mag magazine.