• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7MM Fans: what are your top three favorite "7mm magnum" factory cartridges

Milf Dots

Milf Hunter Extraordinaire
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2019
I know there aren't many 7mm users on SH, but I'm a fan of the 7mm Rem Mag, partly for nostalgic reasons, but I have no idea if it's the best all around 7mm mag for ELR and such, and I'm curious about your top three favorite 7mm magnum factory cartridges... If one only wanted to buy factory ammo and not reload, what would your three be? (As a side note, Berger's 195gr EOL bullet seems interesting)

Last edited:
7mm rem mag is awesome. The 180 Berger hybrids out of 1/8 twist barrel easily move at 2950 and my barrel life has been around 2200 rds. Have had hits out to a mile but that’s about it. I say rem mag

Reactions: Milf Dots
Do you guys think the new Berger 195gr EOL, and the 180s, are interesting enough to bring more people to 7mm, or will 7mm continue to be what it is here at SH? (I realize SH shooters are more oriented to tactical and PRS shooting than shooters at forums focused on hunting.)

Give in to the handloading, 280AI. Gives you damn near the speed, without the little irritating belts on the cases.

But for factory ammo, 7 rem mag is going to be unbeatable. Maybe a 7rum if you really need to burn barrels and get every last fps.

7mm rm! As a side note, the 180gn 7mm has better BC than a 180gn .308. I want a 7mm STW but ammo is scarce.

I'm currently running the 7mm LRM and really like the performance. 180 vld at 3050 fps over RE-33.

Recoils less than the 30-06 but retains 1000 ft.lbs of energy past 1300 yards.

7mm bullets are usually 10 cents or more a slug over a .264 or 30 cal which imo is not worth it.

I just did some more research, and the top chamberings seem to be

7mm Rem Mag (is belted)
7mm WSM (is non-belted)
7mm RUM (Non)
7mm SAUM (Non)
7mm Wby Mag (belted)
7mm STW (belted)

I'm guessing the first two are probably right, but not sure of the others in terms of order of popularity.

Last edited:
The thing about the 7mm rm and .308w and .270 and 30-06 and others is ammo availability. You go to any ma and pa gun store and they have it in stock.

10 years from now the 7mm Rem Mag will still be on the shelf of every ammo shop in the world. As it has been since it came out. Many a wonder chambers have came and gone in that time. No reason to believe it will change.

Reactions: Jscb1b
6.5 gets all the attention currently. Eventually, folks will figure out the 7mm is better in several ways.

I went 7mm Dakota and am happy with the choice.

Factory ammunition makes the Rem Mag an easy choice and rules out the Dakota unfortunately. Barnes makes 7 mm Dakota occasionally but in very few offerings.

Last edited:
Reactions: PR3AK
I just did some more research, and the top chamberings seem to be

7mm Rem Mag
7mm WSM
7mm RUM
7mm SAUM
7mm Weatherby Mag
7mm STW

I'm guessing the first two are probably right, but not sure of the others in terms of order of popularity.

I can find factory ammo locally easy for all but 7SAUM.
Even 280AI is easy to find with a few options.
Remington let 7 saum die like they offed the 260.

I appreciate the replies, because I have a fondness for the 7mm RemMag. I'm in the early stages of pondering a build, and the IDEA of the 7mm 195 gr Berger EOL bullet SEEMS appealing- but we all know how 'good ideas' go- hit or miss!

I hope factory ammo using the 195gr (or even 180gr) Berger EOL is offered soon.

Last edited:
IDK but 7mm mag has been my go-to Pa deer rifle for 30 years and it is an absolute hammer on whitetails. Wouldn't catch me with anything but.

Hard to argue against the 7 rem mag with the basis you ask for. I have hand loaded the 175gr Berger elite hunter up to 3010fps and dropped my OIL bull elk at 900yds last year. One shot. It liquefied his chest cavity, albeit it entered behind the ribs and lodged in the hide on the opposite shoulder. Numbers war against the .30’s doesn’t even compare until the .30’s start pushing 230gr minimum.

I'd like to see how this is going to run

1573423562974.png

Reactions: clcustom1911
Any of you doing anything with Berger 195gr EOL bullets?