• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm flavor

Raptor77

God didn’t stop the bullets… You missed
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2020
OHIO
I have been thinking for some time about building a 7mm rifle for long range. Looked at the SAUM, PRC and others. Problem is large primers. Neck up a 6.5 PRC, same problem. Prefer short action, but will go long. How can I push a heavy 7mm with a small primer pocket?

7-08 was going to be my choice of you're limiting it to small primers and short action.

7-08 was going to be my choice of you're limiting it to small primers and short action.
What if I don’t limit it to short action? Would like to push it faster. I shoot the mile

I have been thinking for some time about building a 7mm rifle for long range. Looked at the SAUM, PRC and others. Problem is large primers. Neck up a 6.5 PRC, same problem. Prefer short action, but will go long. How can I push a heavy 7mm with a small primer pocket?
My 20" Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT in 7mm-08 Rem pushes a Berger 175 Elite Hunter at 2,403 FPS MV. Ballistically, it maintains enough velocity and energy to take deer-sized game at 1000 yards. My load also shoots 1/4 MOA.

But, if you're going to go long-action and magnum, and have no prior 7mm magnums, then I'd go 7mm PRC.

If someone made a 7 SAUM, 7PRC or other with small primer pocket, I would be interested

My 20" Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT in 7mm-08 Rem pushes a Berger 175 Elite Hunter at 2,403 FPS MV. Ballistically, it maintains enough velocity and energy to take deer-sized game at 1000 yards. My load also shoots 1/4 MOA.

But, if you're going to go long-action and magnum, and have no prior 7mm magnums, then I'd go 7mm PRC.
7 PRC is large primer pocket

Reactions: lash
It shouldn't be that difficult to find a box or two of LRP

Know many buyers, myself included. LRP and LRP magnums. Have enough for w what I have been loading, but not enough for a new build

A 7mm-08 will still make it to a mile. It is somewhat limited, but it will do it.

I cannot imagine a single true magnum caliber using SRP and most recommend LRMP.

I get it that LRP of any kind are like hens teeth right now, but that will change with time. When they're in, buy often and buy deep.

Reactions: FuhQ
What if I don’t limit it to short action? Would like to push it faster. I shoot the mile
If you're not limiting to short action, the issue is still your hesitancy to use large rifle primers. If you remove both limitations, you open the world. 7/300 PRC, 28 Nosler, 7 Ultra Mag, 7 STW are all viable. You could go straight 7 Rem Mag, and it'll do fine, but there are better 7mm cartridges

I’m not aware of any magnum sized case being made with small primer pockets.

As far as a SA 7mm for mile shots, anything in the Saum/wsm/Sherman performance category will work great. My advice, research the brass and go with which ever case has the best support. I currently have the Saum and a straight rem mag. Only ADG makes brass for the 7 Saum, sure you can neck down 300 Saum, but those are hard to find too. When the rem mag‘s barrel is done, it’s getting turned into 7 prc.

Reactions: lash
This whole 7mmPRC thing will likely be both a blessing and a curse. More demand for heavy high bc 7mm match offerings for those not wanting or need solids. Good and bad for those into 7mm. Demand brings about rarity before it brings in competition though.

Reactions: BJames
Agreed. After battling brass shortages in cartridges who only have one manufacturer making it, I’m very wary about stepping into a new cartridge with minimal support. At least that is getting supported fairly well for the prc.

Reactions: Gogga
Remington 9 1/2 m rifle primers. Have an opportunity to buy some. Should I? Can they be used as magnum rifle primers? For win mag or other?

If you haven’t even built the rifle there’s no reason to rush to buy less than ideal primers. They’re out there, just wait until you can find some. CCI’s are the best but Remingtons aren’t bad. I would stick to magnum primers only for the hard cups.

As far as caliber, the 7 PRC is pretty sweet on paper. It’s the first Hornady cartridge since the creed that I actually really want. I still won’t shoot their junk brass and ammo though.

I also prefer CCI primers, but any port in a storm. Getting 5000 so I’ll be good for the build. Thanks redneck

If you haven’t even built the rifle there’s no reason to rush to buy less than ideal primers. They’re out there, just wait until you can find some. CCI’s are the best but Remingtons aren’t bad. I would stick to magnum primers only for the hard cups.

As far as caliber, the 7 PRC is pretty sweet on paper. It’s the first Hornady cartridge since the creed that I actually really want. I still won’t shoot their junk brass and ammo though.
They are magnums as I understand. I have used CCI, Winchester and Federal in the past. This will be my first time using Remington primers

I never had an issue with Remmy primers. Trigger goes click, gun goes bang, but I also prefer CCI and was able to pick up 1000. Unfortunately, Powder Valley is limiting primer sales to 1000 per purchase per day, so I decided to tack on a jug of H4350 while I was at it so the hazmat and shipping wouldn't be such a pain in the wallet

7mm SAW. That and a 223 are my 2 main rifles now. Don't even need to use my LR primers anymore.

Consider one of my favorites, 280ai. It's one of the most versatile calibers available. From long range steel, to varmints, to large game, it can do most of it and do it very well. Tons of internet info on the 280ai.

Reactions: FuhQ
Consider one of my favorites, 280ai. It's one of the most versatile calibers available. From long range steel, to varmints, to large game, it can do most of it and do it very well. Tons of internet info on the 280ai.
Hard to go wrong with a 7mm-08 or .280 Ackley. I've got both, and they're both excellent. Both shooting Berger 175 Elites.

Reactions: nickw and BLEE
I never had an issue with Remmy primers. Trigger goes click, gun goes bang, but I also prefer CCI and was able to pick up 1000. Unfortunately, Powder Valley is limiting primer sales to 1000 per purchase per day, so I decided to tack on a jug of H4350 while I was at it so the hazmat and shipping wouldn't be such a pain in the wallet
I currently use H4350 my win mag that I use for the mile

Hard to go wrong with a 7mm-08 or .280 Ackley. I've got both, and they're both excellent. Both shooting Berger 175 Elites.
Agree. A good friend runs .280AI for elk with 175 elite hunters. Has been very successful for him. Recoil is very manageable. Retains good energy at distance. Unfortunately, an often overlooked cartridge.

Reactions: BLEE and FuhQ