• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm mag --What powder would you choose?

steeltex

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2009
ND
I'll be shooting 162 A-max's and Winchester brass in a 31" Pacnor barrel. Between H-1000 and Retumbo which would be better for accuracy and velocity. Thanks guys.

Re: 7mm mag --What powder would you choose?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steeltex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll be shooting 162 A-max's and Winchester brass in a 31" Pacnor barrel. Between H-1000 and Retumbo which would be better for accuracy and velocity. Thanks guys. </div></div>

There are a lot to choose from. I'm fiddling with a 1k round and using the 150 Nosler BTs and SMKs, the older Hornady 162gr HPBT National Match and the 168 SMKs.

RL-19, RL-22, IMR-4350 and H-4831sc all seem to work for me.

VV-160, VV-165, Retumbo for heavy 175/168s, H-1000 and some others all will do the trick.

You just have to get out and fiddle.

Chris

Retumbo, especially in a 31" barrel. The slower burn rate will develop higher velocities. A mild charge of 70.0 grains gets me 3025 fps out of my 28" tube with 162g A-maxs. I've gone as high as 73.5g, but it was tough on my Norma brass and my shoulder.

Here's my favorite burn rate chart. It lists each manufacturer separately so you can compare them side-by-side. As you can see, Retumbo is uniquely slower than all others.

As for accuracy, you'll have to do your own experiments. I really like the OCW method if you haven't tried it.

Here's a typical 5-shot, 100 meter group with my load;
Picture002-2.jpg

Here's a 6-shot group at 1,059 meters in a 15-18 mph full value wind. (the high flyer was a scope adjustment)
Picture006-6.jpg

With mine I got 2935 fps out of a 26 in barrel using reloader 22 and 168 VLDs. H1000 also worked well but I got the best groups out of reloader 22.

With the Amax I tried R19, Retumbo, and R22 with my best results coming from the R22. I am shooting a 26" Krieger barrel.

72grn ramshot magnum pushing 154 sst and 64grns ramshot hunter pushing 140berger vld hunting.was shooting a weatherby sub moa rifle bone stock.always worked for me used the vlds for hunting out to 350 with all 8 animals drt.

Lately I have been very impressed with Retumbo in belted magnums. I have had good results with it in the 7mmRM and the 257 WBY and one of WBY's is a 23" tube.
I only went thru one pound of H1000 was disappointed in all results with it.
I would give the nod to the Retumbo if I had to choose.

I know of quite a few 7RM's that shoot the 168 VLD's and/or 162 A-Max's really well with Retumbo - that's where I'd start also.

I bought a used Savage 110 in 7 mag with 140 grain Nosler Btips and RL22 68.0 grains I shot a 3 shot group of .187

I have been using Re22, H4381sc, and H4350 with 162 gr.

Hodgdon web site:<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
162 gr HDY SPBT H4350 3.290" 58.0 gr 2799 fps 49,400 CUP</div></div>
When I work up:
62.8 gr H4350 162 gr., ok, measured 3040fps
65 gr ok
66.5 gr ok
67.0 gr ok, difficult to insert next primer
67.5 gr easier primer insertion on next primer

What does it all mean?
Published reloading data are lawyer digested lies.
Published 7mmRemMag reloading data are worse.
I can get more power out of my hot, but practical 7x57mmMauser loads, than I can from published 7mmRemMag load data.
So I must find my own 7mmRemMag max loads.
I loaded a quantity of 65.5 gr H4350, and they worked out well.

Been years with the 7mm Rem but I had good luck with imr7828

Has not been mentioned here, maybe the other powders are better? We use it with good results in the 300wby.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have pretty good luck with h-4831</div></div>

me too actually 4831 SC

I have been able to do sub-moa with 162gr Hornady SST & 60gr of IMR-4350 out of my R700 with a 26" tube but it isn't as consistent as I would like. Probably more about my shoulder wishing I was shooting a .308, but I feel like I have everything under control behind the trigger. I am going to be trying the same SST as well as some Sierra 168gr and Hornady 139gr GMX with reloader 19 on Saturday.

Hi use the Retumbo in a 7mm mag it will likley give you higher velocity and less pressure using the same charge as H1000. we use it a lot here a friend in his 7mm Rem Mag and i use it in my long range F Class loads with a 7mm Rem SAUM i have a 30' barrel and am getting close to 3100fps with 175gr MatchKings and with your 7mm Rem mag you would be able to equil that with Retumbo and 175gr MatchKings i have a 3 shot group at 1182yards or 2.76" so it is very accurate but you must run it up at its max pressures to gain the best performance with it and to have it burn cleaner. H1000 would be the seccond choice it gets good velocity but will not compare with Retumbo for speed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steeltex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll be shooting 162 A-max's and Winchester brass in a 31" Pacnor barrel. Between H-1000 and Retumbo which would be better for accuracy and velocity. Thanks guys. </div></div>

What's your barrel twist?

There are 7mmRemMag barrels out there with 9, 9.25, and 9.5" twist.

It would not be easy to measure that accurately with a cleaning rod.