• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm Recs?

BLCT

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2023
Toronto
Hey all, not sure if this is the right place to post it but mods feel free to move it!

I am new to LR shooting! I've been shooting my 6.5 CM for the past two years and I finally am starting to burn out the barrel on my HOWA M1500 Chassis Rifle. I purchased a bore camera for my barrels and I see lots of fire/barrel cracking. I've shot about 2100~ish through the gun, and I've notice when I am going to confirm zero it's always off, I am double sometimes triple checking the wind, weather, and lastly the ammo and I am starting to notice that my groups are getting bigger and bigger at 200yrds. I thought I was doing something wrong, until someone suggested that maybe I have burnt out the barrel life. It is indeed burnt out.

I love my 6.5 CM, and I am not ready to give up on that caliber just yet. I happen to have a spare Tikka T3x in 270 Win. I am looking to get that gun rebarreled to a new 7MM cartridge w/ a 28, maybe 30" barrel. I recently got a good deal for a Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag so that will be replacing my 270Win for all my hunting needs, also I am very impressed with the 7mm bullets, lots of high BC 7mm bullets seem to be available. I am also planning to get into reloading, so I am okay with not having any/limited factory ammo support. Here are the cartridges I am currently looking at, these are mostly going to be used for ELR/LR shooting and possibly F-class? I mostly shoot in Canadian Crownlands at distances varying from 200-1200yards, mostly shooting at around 500~ish and up. I am looking to shoot more heavier stuff, (170-190gr Berger bullets). The powder that I can easily get are Hodgdon Varget, H4831SC, H335, H1000, IMR 4350, and 4064.

1) 7mm Remington Short Action Ultra Mag (7 SAUM)
- Lots of F-Class shooters use them, great reputation
- Better suited in longer actions
- Cannot find a single brass source
- Dies seems to be fairly expensive and scare

2) 7mm Sherman Short (7 SS)
- Easy to buy brass & reamers (rentable from Sherman's website)
- Can buy dies from Sherman

3) 7mm-6.5 PRC
- Easy to find 6.5 PRC brass (I'm located in Canada, seems to be easy enough to resize using a resizing mandrel. Feel free to educate me on this)
- Very skeptical on the performance?
- Not a single clue how dies work on these

5) 7mm Sherman Max
- From what I see, it is pretty much a "better" version of a 7 SAUM (Less case trimming due to the angle of the shoulder)
- Plus everything on the 7 SS

4) 7mm PRC ?
- New hot 7mm, haven't found any information on it, thoughts? Specs? How does it compare to the legendary 7 SAUM?

- Hornady seems to be really pushing this from the factory, dies and brass seems that it will be more readily available in the future. However only time will tell
What other cartridges do you guys recommend? Feel free to berate my choices, I am still learning so I'm all ears!

- Cheers!

Off all of the choices, 7mm-6.5 PRC. If you’re looking for a smith in Canada that chambered a few of theses, PM me and I’ll give you his coordinates.
Tons of high quality Lapua brass available, lowish recoil, easy to work up a load with 162 and 184s. Works great out of a Tikka action, cheap to build, decent barrel life, etc.
If you ever want to build more of a 1500+ Yards 7mm then there’s also the 7-300PRC with the 195s, I’m building one this fall. But that’s a different beast, won’t fit in your Tikka action.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLCT
Off all of the choices, 7mm-6.5 PRC. If you’re looking for a smith in Canada that chambered a few of theses, PM me and I’ll give you his coordinates.
Tons of high quality Lapua brass available, lowish recoil, easy to work up a load with 168 and 184s. Works great out of a Tikka action, cheap to build, decent barrel life, etc.
If you ever want to build more of a 1500+ Yards 7mm then there’s also the 7-300PRC with the 195s, I’m building one this fall. But that’s a different beast, won’t fit in your Tikka action.
Whats the ballistics that people are expecting on the 7mm-6.5 PRC, I think I will have to shoot maybe lighter bullets, 160-170gr range? Maybe a longer 28/30" barrel will help it get more speed?

Depends, personally I’m a huge fan of the 162 but I run it in a 7SAW, I do 2725 FPS out of a non magnum short action bolt face. 184s would be too slow. If I remember, I think the 6.5-7 PRC gets you about 2950-3000 FPS out of the 168s and 2850-2900 out of the 184s with H1000. I’ll confirm that on my next post.
With the 6.5-7 PRC, depending on wind and distance you might be better off with the speed of the 162, say if you’re mostly shooting inside of 600 yards. Past 600 yards, the 184s will do better on wind.
As for barrel length, 26in is enough and I doubt you’d get much more out of a 28 or 30.

Last edited:
Tons of high quality Lapua brass available, lowish recoil, easy to work up a load with 168 and 184s. Works great out of a Tikka action, cheap to build, decent barrel life, etc.
PM me that smith, I am very interested in a 7mm-6.5 PRC.
Depends, personally I’m a huge fan of the 168 but I run it in a 7SAW, I do 2725 FPS out of a non magnum short action bolt face. 184s would be too slow. If I remember, I think the 6.5-7 PRC gets you about 2950-3000 FPS out of the 168s and 2850-2900 out of the 184s with H1000. I’ll confirm that on my next post.
With the 6.5-7 PRC, depending on wind and distance you might be better off with the speed of the 168, say if you’re mostly shooting inside of 600 yards. Past 600 yards, the 184s will do better on wind.
As for barrel length, 26in is enough and I doubt you’d get much more out of a 28 or 30.
I will wait on your confirmation! Its going to be a gun only to be used for LR shooting, I do not mind having to haul around an extra 2-4" barrel length and its weight.

Depends, personally I’m a huge fan of the 168 but I run it in a 7SAW, I do 2725 FPS out of a non magnum short action bolt face. 184s would be too slow. If I remember, I think the 6.5-7 PRC gets you about 2950-3000 FPS out of the 168s and 2850-2900 out of the 184s with H1000.
Never heard of 7SAW. The performance is however outstanding.
Off all of the choices, 7mm-6.5 PRC.

How does one expand or even use dies on 7mm-6.5 PRC. This is something that my mind is struggling to understand.

Use the old 7mm-08 or the 7 Saw and keep the standard bolt face. The 284 Winchester is an oldie but a goodie also.

Is the .270Win T3X shot out? If not, I'd absolutely leave the T3X alone and re-barrel the 7mmRM Savage you just got.

1) the factory Tikka T3X is almost guaranteed to be more accurate than the Savage.

2) for most North American hunting purposes, a 7mm Rem Mag isn't enough of an improvement over a .270 Win to make it worthwhile, in my opinion.

If you were starting from scratch, 7SAW would be my first choice, 7SAUM second - but I only handload. 7mm-6.5PRC has 10% more case capacity than the 7SAW if you're looking to hot rod it, but then I'd just go 7mm PRC. If you think you will want off the shelf ammo, really everything you listed is a bad choice, but 7mm PRC will probably have the most support in 5 years. The Sherman wildcats have never really interested me.

Also if going off a Tikka standard bolt face, 280 AI is a great caliber.
I've done some research, good thing about Tikka T3x's are that Tikka them selves want to limit the amount of SKUs that they have. Their bolt faces are all compatible with different calibers, you just have to "shim" them into the desired spec.

Something goes for the action, It is all the same action (long action, short action). There is just a bolt stop that needs to be trimmed. Trim that to the desired spec/action and you can change from short to long action, get a new bolt stop to get back to a SA from a LA.

Is the .270Win T3X shot out? If not, I'd absolutely leave the T3X alone and re-barrel the 7mmRM Savage you just got.

1) the factory Tikka T3X is almost guaranteed to be more accurate than the Savage.

2) for most North American hunting purposes, a 7mm Rem Mag isn't enough of an improvement over a .270 Win to make it worthwhile, in my opinion.

If you were starting from scratch, 7SAW would be my first choice, 7SAUM second - but I only handload. 7mm-6.5PRC has 10% more case capacity than the 7SAW if you're looking to hot rod it, but then I'd just go 7mm PRC. If you think you will want off the shelf ammo, really everything you listed is a bad choice, but 7mm PRC will probably have the most support in 5 years. The Sherman wildcats have never really interested me.
The .270Win is not shot out, probably 20 rounds through it MAX. Problem is I purchased about 200 rounds of 7Mag, I didn't purchase anymore ammo for the .270Win as I've always though about getting it rebarreled. Actually got the 7Mag for a steal price, I got some factory loaded Barnes TTSX for about $43.29 CAD ($31.54) a box.

1) Yeah I figured, which I though might just be a great choice for a "project LR gun"

2) I strongly agree, I never encounter a game in North America that my .270 Win couldn't do the job. I've even taken down a 230~lbs Canadian black bear 2 seasons ago.

I've do some research on the 7SAW. 7 SAUM is nice, but no brass to be obtained near me. I can always import for the USA, but I will be spending a hefty sum. The Sherman whildcats also interest me very much, and brass is actually obtainable while being close if not better performance than that 7 SAUM. But I am looking at around $400~ USD once you all at the the importation fees, taxes, and shipping. I might just stick with the 7mm-6.5 PRC for the brass availability in Canada and its cheaper pricing.

What magazines do you want to use and how much do you want to spend/are you on a budget?

Being a 308 boltface 284win or 280 would be the easiest options, if you are sticking with Tikka mags then no need to go for a short action magnum cartridge.

If you are going to be limited in mag length then consider opening up the bolt face and looking at the other options, the 7-6.5PRC is probably what I'd go for as you know brass will be readily available and have plenty of choice.
The 7SS is probably the best performance in a short action.

7mm PRC will likely be the beat performance of all the options you listed but you'll be limited to long action magazines and be paying to open up the bolt face.

7mmSAW would be the easiest/best performance if you want to keep the 308 bolt face and use AICS mags.

I've got 2 6.5 Max's, one light hunter and one heavier chassis rifle. I have a few loads (57,63,66.5 grains), but my favorite is the lightest one - one hole accuracy plus forever brass life while still running prc speeds.

Since you have a std bolt, I always wanted a 284, either std or a Shehane... I'd go Shehane and have the ability to load it down also...

Since you're bolt face is .473, it seems to me that .280 AI is your answer. Otherwise, you're replacing the bolt for a magnum cartridge, might as well buy a whole new action.
7 PRC looks good, but brass is not available and is only available from Hornady.
7-300 wm, also called 7mm practical is an excellent cartridge, plenty of really good brass available, barrel life will be shorter than the CM.

What magazines do you want to use and how much do you want to spend/are you on a budget?

Being a 308 boltface 284win or 280 would be the easiest options, if you are sticking with Tikka mags then no need to go for a short action magnum cartridge.

If you are going to be limited in mag length then consider opening up the bolt face and looking at the other options, the 7-6.5PRC is probably what I'd go for as you know brass will be readily available and have plenty of choice.
The 7SS is probably the best performance in a short action.

7mm PRC will likely be the beat performance of all the options you listed but you'll be limited to long action magazines and be paying to open up the bolt face.

7mmSAW would be the easiest/best performance if you want to keep the 308 bolt face and use AICS mags.
I am planning on using the MDT 3.560 300WM mags, which seems to be the maximum that they (MDT) can make on the tikkas. Money is not an issue as I will be to be selling a few rifles for an to fund a ELR rig.

From most post I see, heavier 7mm (180-190grs) shines when the bullet is pushed out (increasing OAL) from a SA to a LA. For that reason I am considering opening up the bolt face to a magnum sized one so I can experiment with 7mm-6.5 PRC or 7 SS. I've been following West Desert Shooter on youtube and seems to be that he beat me to it on a 7 SAUM build pushing the OAL to 3.06" with 183 SMK I believe.

7mm PRC will be a few years till it comes to Canada but I am reading up every bit of information I can find on it.

I think 7SAW will be out of the question for me, I do not really plan to use AICS mags. I am more eyeing a magnum bolt face route.

I am planning on using the MDT 3.560 300WM mags, which seems to be the maximum that they (MDT) can make on the tikkas. Money is not an issue as I will be to be selling a few rifles for an to fund a ELR rig.

From most post I see, heavier 7mm (180-190grs) shines when the bullet is pushed out (increasing OAL) from a SA to a LA. For that reason I am considering opening up the bolt face to a magnum sized one so I can experiment with 7mm-6.5 PRC or 7 SS. I've been following West Desert Shooter on youtube and seems to be that he beat me to it on a 7 SAUM build pushing the OAL to 3.06" with 183 SMK I believe.

7mm PRC will be a few years till it comes to Canada but I am reading up every bit of information I can find on it.

I think 7SAW will be out of the question for me, I do not really plan to use AICS mags. I am more eyeing a magnum bolt face route.
Do more reasearch before dipping your toes into the Sherman pool.
There is a reason that Proof and Sherman parted ways..
A gunsmith that I know recently chambered a barrel for a customer using a reamer provided by the customer.
The reamer was within specs. The specs sucked and accuracy wasn't great.

Sherman route in Canada is expensive. While there brass is already priced high, the import and exchange is another added cost when other calibers can do pretty much the same.

The 7 saw would be your easy route for sure. Alpha brass makes head stamped brass for it. You can purchase from insite arms or go big tactical for sure. Em precision has a reamer and I’d assume insite as well. Go ballistic gunsmith is a great smith and if he doesn’t have a reamer he will get it.

7 saum would be number 2. While brass isn’t always the easiest there is a few options. Run a longer throat and you’re set. Lots of good information out there but you need to open up your bolt face. You mentioned money isn’t an issue. If your serious on the magnum calibers then just sell your action and start with a magnum.

7-6.5prc I think would be number 3. While the performance is proving to be very promising in the accuracy department, it’s another step a newer shooter would have to take. Sizing up isn’t always the easiest for new guys either as you can great brass flow that needs to be turned down. Necking down brass doesn’t seem to have this issue but necking up a caliber generally does. While not something impossible to get around, it’s generally a more difficult step for a newer reloader.

Another consideration wkth a 7-6.5 prc would be to make sure you have a wheeler designed reamer or very similar. If you dont, you’ll have the prc clicker.

Reactions: st1650
Sherman route in Canada is expensive. While there brass is already priced high, the import and exchange is another added cost when other calibers can do pretty much the same.

The 7 saw would be your easy route for sure. Alpha brass makes head stamped brass for it. You can purchase from insite arms or go big tactical for sure. Em precision has a reamer and I’d assume insite as well. Go ballistic gunsmith is a great smith and if he doesn’t have a reamer he will get it.

7 saum would be number 2. While brass isn’t always the easiest there is a few options. Run a longer throat and you’re set. Lots of good information out there but you need to open up your bolt face. You mentioned money isn’t an issue. If your serious on the magnum calibers then just sell your action and start with a magnum.

7-6.5prc I think would be number 3. While the performance is proving to be very promising in the accuracy department, it’s another step a newer shooter would have to take. Sizing up isn’t always the easiest for new guys either as you can great brass flow that needs to be turned down. Necking down brass doesn’t seem to have this issue but necking up a caliber generally does. While not something impossible to get around, it’s generally a more difficult step for a newer reloader.

Another consideration wkth a 7-6.5 prc would be to make sure you have a wheeler designed reamer or very similar. If you dont, you’ll have the prc clicker.
I got my 7SAW alpha brass from Insite.

Reactions: Matt_3479
Also if going off a Tikka standard bolt face, 280 AI is a great caliber.
Yep! I recommended 1:8 twist Proof carbon barrel chambered for .280 Ackley or 7mm Sherman (basically a .280 Ackley Improved…Improved). 👍🏼

They work amazing with 7828 SSC. And dominates with 7977, if you can find any since it’s been temporarily discontinued due to lack of sources. 🫤

7-6.5PRC is a good choice but this is a wildcat and will likely need to get custom reamer and dies which isn't a big deal but adds cost and can be daunting if you've never done it.

7 PRC would be my choice from your list but quality brass is an issue at this time.

I did a 284 Win -Improved and am very happy with it but if the 7 PRC was available at the time I would have likely gone that route to save time and headache of custom dies and reamer.

If 7PRC isn't going to be easy/take too long then 7SAUM is probably your best bet.

Brass has relatively good availability and reamers etc should be fairly common. Long action means you can get maximum performance.

2nd thought - since you already have a 7RM, and the Tikka has the available coal, get another but in 8 twist with some extra freebore. Share dies and components with your hunting rifle but be supersonic past a mile. Only downside is needing to open up your bolt for mag face, but you were considering that anyway. If has to be different, then I'll add the 7WSM since it hasn't been mentioned yet.

I wonder what the performance differences is from a 7 SAUM/7-6.5 PRC, to a .284 Win. Lots of people mentioned on another form that why bother expanding my bolt face, it might just be easier to just sell my Tikka in .270 and just start off with something that is already a magnum bolt face.

Another option that was suggested to me was just to get 6.5-284 Norma brass, and using a mandrel and scaling it up to 7mm.

There's just too many options aha, but for sure on the top of my list right now its either 7 SAUM or the 7-6.5 PRC.

7-6.5PRC is a good choice but this is a wildcat and will likely need to get custom reamer and dies which isn't a big deal but adds cost and can be daunting if you've never done it.

7 PRC would be my choice from your list but quality brass is an issue at this time.

I did a 284 Win -Improved and am very happy with it but if the 7 PRC was available at the time I would have likely gone that route to save time and headache of custom dies and reamer.
I have never done any reaming work to barrels, It would be interesting to do but I would prefer to send it off to a smith.

Whats the problem with Hornady brass? I thought they were a S-tier brass manufacture company? If they're not, how does Sako brass, Norma brass, Nosler brass, and Laupa Brass scale?

It was suggested to me to try out and give .284 Win a try, snice I already have the bolt face for it. It might just make sense.

If 7PRC isn't going to be easy/take too long then 7SAUM is probably your best bet.

Brass has relatively good availability and reamers etc should be fairly common. Long action means you can get maximum performance.
Pointers on where I can get brass? A google search from where I am at shows everything out of stock. Only 7 SAUM brass I can find are like expensive expensive, $300 CAD ($219.40 USD) just for 50 pieces of brass yikes.......

Reactions: The D
2nd thought - since you already have a 7RM, and the Tikka has the available coal, get another but in 8 twist with some extra freebore. Share dies and components with your hunting rifle but be supersonic past a mile. Only downside is needing to open up your bolt for mag face, but you were considering that anyway. If has to be different, then I'll add the 7WSM since it hasn't been mentioned yet.
You might be on to something with the 7RM, I haven't even heard of anyone using a 7RM for LR shooting. It would be interesting to see what kind of match can loads can be developed for a 7RM.

I've thought about that avenue of 7WSM, but brass supply to be worse than 7SAUM.

Yep! I recommended 1:8 twist Proof carbon barrel chambered for .280 Ackley or 7mm Sherman (basically a .280 Ackley Improved…Improved). 👍🏼

They work amazing with 7828 SSC. And dominates with 7977, if you can find any since it’s been temporarily discontinued due to lack of sources. 🫤
Would be interesting to what kind of match loadings you can get with .280 AI or 7mm Sherman, a quick google search shows not man people are shooting them for a EL shooting. But I know the rounds themselves are very capable, that might just be the golden ticket. Too many options ahaha

CORBON ammo custom developed my load for my .280AI shooting 162 AMAX. Haven’t tinkered with it on shooting 162 ELD’s as im still sitting on about 1000 projectiles. I’d be happy to share load data

Pointers on where I can get brass? A google search from where I am at shows everything out of stock. Only 7 SAUM brass I can find are like expensive expensive, $300 CAD ($219.40 USD) just for 50 pieces of brass yikes.......
Annealing after every firing will ensure your great brass lasts a very long time. Like, probably as long as the life of the barrel. Expensive brass isn’t expensive if it lasts 10 firings or more

You might be on to something with the 7RM, I haven't even heard of anyone using a 7RM for LR shooting. It would be interesting to see what kind of match can loads can be developed for a 7RM.

I've thought about that avenue of 7WSM, but brass supply to be worse than 7SAUM.
You will need to either have a reamer specd for long heavy bullets, or have your gunsmith use a throating reamer and a dummy cartridge to get final dimensions.
The 7PRC won't do anything a properly throated and chambered Rem mag will do, but it does it without a belt and the reamer saami spec is already geared towards long for caliber bullets.
It can be done with the rem mag and there is plenty of good brass available.

My 7mm RemMag Berger 168 VLD load has an ES of 3, and an SD of 1… These velocities were from a 22.5” barrel.

B9E2F533-4DF5-4049-A96C-EEAC737BAF2A.jpeg

Would be interesting to what kind of match loadings you can get with .280 AI or 7mm Sherman, a quick google search shows not man people are shooting them for a EL shooting. But I know the rounds themselves are very capable, that might just be the golden ticket. Too many options ahaha
Here’s my 24” .280 Ackley Berger 175 Elite Hunter load. Should be just fine for long range.

BCBA108A-1440-46B5-BA2D-B0B7BD46B6FD.jpeg

Ive thought about that avenue of 7WSM, but brass supply to be worse than 7SAUM.
If that’s the case so a 7-300 wsm build. 300 wsm brass can be had easily, it also has a longer neck. The 270 wsm and 300 wsm are near identical yet they made the 7 wsm different with a poorer case design which suffered in comparison. A few dominate f-class shooters for a few years shot 7-300 wsm’s due to the longer neck and outstanding performances being had plus easier to get brass. It’s not so dominate today as once again recoil plays a part but it did well.

Whats the problem with Hornady brass? I thought they were a S-tier brass manufacture company? If they're not, how does Sako brass, Norma brass, Nosler brass, and Laupa Brass scale?
Hornady brass is junk. Norma brass while generally pretty consistent is super soft normally. Lapua brass is king of brass. Alpha, adg and Peterson is all good brass as well but Lapua still wins in most peoples minds. I primarily shoot Lapua or alpha.

I wonder what the performance differences is from a 7 SAUM/7-6.5 PRC, to a .284 Win. Lots of people mentioned on another form that why bother expanding my bolt face, it might just be easier to just sell my Tikka in .270 and just start off with something that is already a magnum bolt face.

Another option that was suggested to me was just to get 6.5-284 Norma brass, and using a mandrel and scaling it up to 7mm.

There's just too many options aha, but for sure on the top of my list right now its either 7 SAUM or the 7-6.5 PRC.
While that direct comparison will be hard to find you can relate it closely to the 6.5 saum and the 6.5 prc which has a huge comparison for a year when GAP was pushing the 6.5 saum 4s and hornady released the prc a year or 2 later if I recall. The 6.5 saum was gaining massive popularity being pushed by GAP amongst the hunting long range crowd and almost completely died when the prc came about as that’s what GAP precision choose over there own previously 6.5 saum. While I have no experience with the saum my understanding is this. Pure performance wise the saum trumps the prc. The prc cause design is slightly better. The saum is more overbore (in relation to the 6.5 atleast).

If the 7-6.5 or 7 saum is your wish list, sell your tikka and start with a magnum. No point in putting extra money into the action in that manner. Like mentioned above a 280 AI boasts excellent performance on the bolt face your already running

What the specs youre using? How many grains and how much powder? Is it a hot load or is this considered a more "mild load"
59.5gr of IMR 7977. Nosler .280 Ackley brass, CCI 200 primers. It’s near the top in pressure in my rifle (Christensen Arms Ridgeline), so approach with caution when you get around 58gr. But every chamber is different, but still, proceed with caution, and never try to match someone else’s load data, because like I said, every rifle and chamber is different. Prime example, I’m getting the same Velocity at 59.5gr, as the Hodgdon manual tests did at 61.1gr. So, just because your powder weight is not the same as the book, doesn’t mean the velocity numbers aren’t there. This is why working with a Chronograph is a must.

Here’s what Hodgdon’s online reloading center says.

8E445FA9-D1AF-4823-AF66-D60FBBD6A60B.jpeg

59.5gr of IMR 7977. Nosler .280 Ackley brass, CCI 200 primers. It’s near the top in pressure in my rifle (Christensen Arms Ridgeline), so approach with caution when you get around 58gr. But every chamber is different, but still, proceed with caution, and never try to match someone else’s load data, because like I said, every rifle and chamber is different. Prime example, I’m getting the same Velocity at 59.5gr, as the Hodgdon manual tests did at 61.1gr. So, just because your powder weight is not the same as the book, doesn’t mean the velocity numbers aren’t there. This is why working with a Chronograph is a must.

Here’s what Hodgdon’s online reloading center says.

View attachment 8107200
I think I am going to settle on the .280 AI. I wonder if .280 AI is capable of pushing a Berger 180gr Hybrid Target, or a 183gr SMK to 2900fps~ with a 28-30" barrel. I do not know if I am asking too much/if that is too HOT for the .280 AI. I am really planning on running 180-185gr bullets to 2900fps~, and 190gr hybrid targets at 2800fps~. What do you think? Is that asking to much for the .280 AI? Or should I be looking for a different cartridge?

I know with 7 SAUM is possible and fairly easy to push a 183gr SMK to 2950fps~, but you have to mess around with the seating depth (longer is better). I've seen a few youtubers pushing the COAL to 3.06, running a 183gr SMK to around 2950fps~ with about 64.4-64.6gr of H1000 with what looks like a 26-28" barrel.

What are your thoughts? I also may experiment with seating depths before purchasing a barrel, so I can have my soon to be ordered barrel tailored to my desired COAL.

If you're even questioning the ability to get the speed you want, go for a bigger case. You have the coal and you can always load down to achieve your desired 2950, without stressing components. I'd much rather be shooting the slowest big case than the fastest small case - at the same speed.

I think I am going to settle on the .280 AI. I wonder if .280 AI is capable of pushing a Berger 180gr Hybrid Target, or a 183gr SMK to 2900fps~ with a 28-30" barrel. I do not know if I am asking too much/if that is too HOT for the .280 AI. I am really planning on running 180-185gr bullets to 2900fps~, and 190gr hybrid targets at 2800fps~. What do you think? Is that asking to much for the .280 AI? Or should I be looking for a different cartridge?

I know with 7 SAUM is possible and fairly easy to push a 183gr SMK to 2950fps~, but you have to mess around with the seating depth (longer is better). I've seen a few youtubers pushing the COAL to 3.06, running a 183gr SMK to around 2950fps~ with about 64.4-64.6gr of H1000 with what looks like a 26-28" barrel.

What are your thoughts? I also may experiment with seating depths before purchasing a barrel, so I can have my soon to be ordered barrel tailored to my desired COAL.
That’s asking a lot for a .280 Ackley to get a 180gr bullet to 2,900 FPS…Even in a 30” barrel. That’s getting into the upper range of the 7mm RemMag velocity for a 180 with a 26” barrel.

If you’re wanting those kind of ballistics with 180+ bullets, then I would be looking into 7mm RemMag or 7mm PRC with a 26+” barrel.

Agreed with above post. My load isn’t hot by any stretch of the word. But I doubt I could see that speed out of a 24” Broughton 5C barrel. Running 54.5 grains of Reloader 17

1. Could well be, but I think that`s far from a " guarantee ".

That’s asking a lot for a .280 Ackley to get a 180gr bullet to 2,900 FPS…Even in a 30” barrel. That’s getting into the upper range of the 7mm RemMag velocity for a 180 with a 26” barrel.

If you’re wanting those kind of ballistics with 180+ bullets, then I would be looking into 7mm RemMag or 7mm PRC with a 26+” barrel.
Reason why I'm looking for something that can push a 180gr bullets at about 2900fps is that I want it to cut through winds. I've experimented with 6.5 CM reloads with a 127gr Barnes OTM bullets, and for area where I do my LR shooting (mountain areas) it seems to just get taken away by the winds. I am always holding another 3 MOA left or right depending on the wind speed.

As soon as I switched over to 150gr SMK, it was def easier. I notice that the bullet does in fact drop faster, but it was left affect by winds.

Theres just too many variables, could be my barrel burn-out causing my rounds to lose velocities. But as soon as I started experimenting with 150ge SMK, I was RAILING a 24x24 plate that's 563yrd away.

Reason why I'm looking for something that can push a 180gr bullets at about 2900fps is that I want it to cut through winds. I've experimented with 6.5 CM reloads with a 127gr Barnes OTM bullets, and for area where I do my LR shooting (mountain areas) it seems to just get taken away by the winds. I am always holding another 3 MOA left or right depending on the wind speed.

As soon as I switched over to 150gr SMK, it was def easier. I notice that the bullet does in fact drop faster, but it was left affect by winds.

Theres just too many variables, could be my barrel burn-out causing my rounds to lose velocities. But as soon as I started experimenting with 150ge SMK, I was RAILING a 24x24 plate that's 563yrd away.
Have you explored the weatherby or 28 nosler?

Reactions: Ronws
Have you explored the weatherby or 28 nosler?
I think 28 nosler is out of the question, the barrel life esp for a LR is just too short. I've shot one the recoil is similar to a 7RM, but 600 rounds barrel life? yikes... Weatherby I haven't seen it yet, I've been looking at 280 Sherman. It's pretty much a 280AI AI.

Possibly, you will always be changing barrels. The performance rounds use up barrels and I don't think it's all about the heat. I think it is a matter of use. A hunter normally is not shooting 100 rounds in a day. Lucky if he shoots once, maybe twice.

That being said, I do have a 7 PRC and I expect it will be my every hunt rifle. From whitetail to elk and mulies, maybe even a moose. Primarily because of the energy at target and the wind performance. From what I am seeing, even though it is the mid point between 6.5 PRC and .300 PRC, I think it has wind performance similar to the .300 WM. Essentially, at least out to about 600 yards, you can dial elevation and you hold left or right edge of target zone into the wind direction.

So, I like the distance of the round, but mostly from a hunting perspective, as opposed to a competitive platform. But maybe someone will do great with that, if they can manage the recoil. 7 PRC with 175 gr at 3k fps and a 1:8 twist has a sharper recoil impulse than my .308 with 165 gr at 2700 fps and a 1:12 twist. That's a butterfly kiss.

And I am sure I know less than you about this stuff, so listen to these other guys.

I think 28 nosler is out of the question, the barrel life esp for a LR is just too short. I've shot one the recoil is similar to a 7RM, but 600 rounds barrel life? yikes... Weatherby I haven't seen it yet, I've been looking at 280 Sherman. It's pretty much a 280AI AI.
If you're running the 185+ bullets at 2900+, you're going to have short barrel life. Besides, no one says you have to run it at max pressure. If you run a 30" barrel, you can get the 185 class to 2900 with the starting load of several powders, thus extending the barrel life.
There is no free lunch.

If you're running the 185+ bullets at 2900+, you're going to have short barrel life. Besides, no one says you have to run it at max pressure. If you run a 30" barrel, you can get the 185 class to 2900 with the starting load of several powders, thus extending the barrel life.
There is no free lunch.
Yeah I was thinking of getting a 28"-30" barrel. But honestly I think I will be redling the 280AI at this point. I might just look else where.

I think I need to just wait for the 7mm PRC, lets see how those specs are. Maybe 7mm-300 WM might be an option? Seems that people are loading 7-300 WM to 2800 with 71.1gr of H1000 no problems, max pressure of that build was 74.5gr @ 3086. I would be happy with 180gr 2900fps~ 190gr@ 2800fps~.

Yeah I was thinking of getting a 28"-30" barrel. But honestly I think I will be redling the 280AI at this point. I might just look else where.

I think I need to just wait for the 7mm PRC, lets see how those specs are. Maybe 7mm-300 WM might be an option? Seems that people are loading 7-300 WM to 2800 with 71.1gr of H1000 no problems, max pressure of that build was 74.5gr @ 3086. I would be happy with 180gr 2900fps~ 190gr@ 2800fps~.

7RM and 7WSM have approx 4-5 grains more capacity than 7 PRC, which itself has 3-4 more grains capacity than the 280ai. If you are OK with a long barrel and want to keep your boltface, there's my initial recommendation of a 284 Shehane, with the same capacity as the 7 PRC. 284 is a very efficient case...

Reactions: BLCT
7RM and 7WSM have approx 4-5 grains more capacity than 7 PRC, which itself has 3-4 more grains capacity than the 280ai. If you are OK with a long barrel and want to keep your boltface, there's my initial recommendation of a 284 Shehane, with the same capacity as the 7 PRC. 284 is a very efficient case...

I think 284 Shehane might be my choice. I may just keep my standard bolt face.