• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm Rem Mag hunting rifle

at4rxj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I'm looking for a new hunting rifle. I like the 7mm rem mag. I'd consider a 300 if a particular rifle was only available that way though.

The one I keep coming back to is the Rem 700 Sendero SF. Are there any others I should consider? I prefer stainless, heavy barrel, and fluted where possible. Search results on the sendero all seemed good, but again, want to make sure I'm not overlooking another option.

I did see a 7mm Winchester M70 Laredo... Matte black but fluted. I just don't know much about the M70's...

Thanks in advance!

Re: 7mm Rem Mag hunting rifle

The 7mm is a great choice but so is the a 300WM. The Remington has a ton of aftermarket support, not so much on the 70. I would also look at Savage's heavy barrelled rifles, you will likely have to go with a .300WM with Savage.

My go to hunting rifle has been a 7mm Mag and has been since 1995. Never had to even track a deer/pig with it, they have all been DRT.

It's hard to be a Sendero in 7mmRM. Buy it, put some good glass on it, practice practice practice... Then fill that freezer!

The Sendero might be a little heavy if you do any hunting outside of tree or blind stands though.

I have lighter and shorter rifles I'll take if I'm going to be walking...
I'm specifically looking for a heavy barrel setup.

cant go wrong wit a sendero in 7mag. Or a Remington 300 mag in their new long range hs precision

I developed a hunting handload for my buddy's Browning A-Bolt in 7mm REM MAG.

I was seeing .5 MOA at 200 yards with 165-grain Sierra GameKing HPBT.

I am not a Browning guy at all ... but that rifle was lights-out.

I have an early Sendero in 7mmSTW. It's an absolute hammer. 7mm Rem Mag would be a great choice as ammo is readily available. I recently acquired a first year 700 ADL (same birth year as me, we both turn 50 later this year!) and it likes the WalMart blue box Federal stuff. At less than $20. a box, it will make great whitetail ammo! CKruse

As you probably know the 7mag came from the 300 win mag, they are both great cartridges for long distance shooting with good knock down power. If you are not going too Alaska to hunt griz stay with the 7mag. The 300 gives you a better weight selection in bullets where the 7mag is limited. Weapon selection is user preference there are alot of good weapons in 7mag and 300.

You won't go wrong with either a Sendero or Laredo. I prefer the Winchester for the safety, the foolproof trigger, extractor, ejector, bolt release, flat bottom receiver and integral recoil lug, but that's just me.

I really like my Rem 700 Long Range XCR II in 300WM. It makes a great elk rifle. Combined with a 200 Accubond...I am in heaven.

Both the 7mm an 300 solid choices, my dad has hunted everything smaller than big bears with a 7mm RM for as long as I can remember. I hunted with a 7mm RM for several years also, but then bought a Remington sendero in .264 win mag a couple of years ago and have hunted with it since.

The sendero is a pretty sweet rifle out of the box, and mine shoots really well. My only complaints about my sendero are its throated very short and the feed ramp wasnt polished very well. The feed ramp issues has sorted itself out by cycling rounds over it and the short throat isn't a major issue since I reload all my ammo.

Only thing I've changed so far is swapping the x-mark trigger for a timney. I'm going to swap the stock out when I have funds available, but that's gonna be about it.