• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm Rem Mag loads for Long Range Shooting

aoisdff8a7ytuigh

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2020
United States
Hello forum,

Just recently I bought a Howa 1500 in 7mm Rem Mag, with a 3-12x44 MOA Reticle scope, and a bipod. The thing shoots like a dream and it only took about 4 shots to sight it in after the bore sighting.

Currently it’s just zeroed with some cheap Remington Core Lokt 140 grain bullets, stuff that kicks less than a 270 on this rifle. O shot a few 175 grain core Lokt loads, and they pushed the rifle back a little bit more than any of the others I’d shot but I could manage probably 7-8 rounds of those loaded hot.

I’m a semi experienced reloader, granted I’ve only reloaded .30-06 and .45-70, but I’ve used many different bullets and loads for the .30-06 and I know what my preference is.

I was researching into Barnes TTSX 120 Grain bullets for long range because you can load them to 3400 FPS and they have a decently high BC, but recently I stumbled across 162 grain ELD-X loads that have an amazing BC and are factory loaded at 2940 FPS, but I checked my reloading book and you can load them up to 3045 FPS with IMR 4350 powder.

Which one of these two options would be good for long range shooting up to about 800 yards?

1584545991718.png

1584546030136.png

The 120 is flatter elevation-wise over the 162 until 600 yards at which point the 162 carries its momentum better further out.

But the wind... the 120 takes 3 moa of at 400 yards where at the 162 can go to 600 for a matching wind call. At 800 yards the 162 is only 4.2 moa vs 7.4 moa for the 120, thats only 60% of the wind call required.

So for long range the 162 is going to make it much more forgiving to actually use with any wind (which there always is). You can adjust your scope for elevation, once thats known its easily compensated for. Its the wind that will get you.

I agree with the above.

I would find bullets above 160 for long range. The weight/bc beats out velocity where it counts. I like Berger bullets, and had great luck with 168s. If you are hunting too, maybe consider the 175s. I loaded my 168 vld hunters above 3000 fps with H1000 out of a 26" barrel. I ran 180 VLD hunters at 2950ish.

Never shot the Hornady ELD bullets, but they should be good, and the 162 should go above 3000 fps if you work it up. Inside 800, the extra velocity will make up for lower BC of the lighter bullets. I think you'll have fun with them and enjoy them.

Thanks for the information.

Just ordered 100 rounds of 162 ELD-X's, and looking into Berger bullets as another option.

Thank you for disproving the myth that velocity is the most important thing for long range.

Long range, wind resistance trumps elevation in my opinion. 168 Berger classic hunters or some of the 175-180 options are where I’d look.

I was shooting the 168 classic hunters to 1525 yards yesterday.
They did fantastic, really impressed with this bullet.

Newbie here. Just began reloading for 7mm. At short ranges my rifle (stock R700 Sendero) loves the Hornady 139 grain bullets. Good info about the wind.
The Sendero has a 1:9 twist. I just read an article in Guns n Ammo Precision Rifle magazine. It was about BC. My takeaway was that super high BC bullets do not achieve their full potential at a 1:9 twist. So basically I would be wasting money on a higher BC bullet. Thoughts?

Yup. 1-9 is enough, even at sea level according to Berger for the 180's. Anything above that elevation is insurance.

I'm beyond stoked! Just waiting for the heat to die off a bit here in AZ. I also have decide on the target size at a mile and how much I intend to torture myself in that regard.

New member here, the Howa 1500 is what Weatherby uses in their Vanguard line. Mine is also a great shooter.
Yochram it sounds like you may have fired some of Remington 140 Gr Managed Recoil ammunition, which Is only rated @ 2710 FPS. The original loading for the 7MM Remington Mag back in 1962 was a 160 @ 3150 FPS, that was from a 26 inch barrel. The powder used then was IMR-7828, the 160 Gr Soft Point was chosen for use on the larger bodied deer, such as Mule & Red, out to 500 yards.

Last edited: