• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7MM Rem Mag Problem

kimberyote

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2010
madison county illinois
I am reloading for a rem 700 in 7mm rem mag. I am having problem with extraction with my reloads. Factory cycles fires fine. Mine load smooth. Only after firing I am getting stiff bolt lift. Loads with 100 grain sierra and 140 bergers. Sent 5 fired cases to redding. I am using type s full length sizing bushing dies. These are once fired reloads. Checked my distance from lands and it's all good. Redding sent 3 back and they fed ok. My problem is bolt lift and extraction. No flattened primers. Chrony numbers are good. The 140 load with n560 is on the low side from berger info. The sierra is close to max, but it is accurate as heck. I measured above the belt and it looks ok. What could I be missing? Thxs hide!

Why handloads don't fit correctly . . . and how to solve the problem.

kimberyote .......

When you measured above the belt, did you use the knife edge of your calipers or the wide part of your calipers? You'll get two different measurements. Using the knife edge tight against the belt shows the diameter of the case head (solid brass). A measurement with the wide part of the blades will show the amount od case bulge that is so common with handloads.

My website is mostly devoted to solving the unique problems with handloading belted magnum calibers.