• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7MM Rem Mag reload results

MD2Colo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2011
Littleton, CO
Rifle- Rem 700 BDL 7mm Rem Mag
scope- cheap bushnell duplex

Throwing this stuff up for anyone who has the same and maybe to help them out for a good load.
Rounds were seated just off the lands.
CCI 250 primers for all, Winchester virgin brass.
No signs of pressure with any load.

IMG_0170-1.jpg

First round
IMG_0168-1.jpg

Second Round.
I shot load #5 as fast as I could by single loading...shoulder got a little sore and the range was closing lol.
IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

I think that's the one for this rifle. I pulled that one high right...dude next to me had a 300 WM semi auto...threw me off a bit lol
H 4831 SC, 60.0 gr
Hornady SST 162
3.349"

Picking up a new DPMS SASS in a few days, worked up some test loads that should be ok based on reading some threads (hopefully).
IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

Thanks for looking and thanks for the great forum!!
Mike

Re: 7MM Rem Mag reload results

Make sure the 2.815 will run in your sass mags. I would just make it 2.800 and not worry. I am also running a 7mmMag right now. Haven't loaded for it yet as I'm wait on it to be rebuilt. Your 162gr SST's look good #5 and #3. But your 168SMK show promise but just need some work..little less-little more powder to tighten things up. Good luck and post some pics of your SASS when you get it.

When working up loads for my 7mm mag I had a promising combination with H4831sc and the 162g SST's. I weighed a bunch of the SST's and they varied quite a bit so I abandoned them as a choice and the H4831sc didn't show good results with the berger 168's so I moved on to H1000 and didn't look back. Good luck

Yah, I'm liking the H4831SC but I'll give H1000 a shot, why not.
I think I'll back off the powder with the Sierra bullets to see if the groups tighten up.

I chose 2.815 as a length for the 308 rounds because I measured a bunch of M118LR lying around( 07-09 ) and the average was around 2.810-2.817.
Since the DPMS mags and KAC SR-25/M-110 mags are compatible, I figure if the LR can work through my (the Army's) M-110 they can work through my SASS.

I might go back and seat them to 2.800, which was what my FGMM 175SMK measured to (+/- .005).
Thanks for the advice and insight, guys.

So, what is the point of this thread? I honestly can't make out what your intention is.

Are these the results you obtained after load developement? If so, you have more work to do.
OR
Is this the example of your load developement? If so you have more work, and alot more reading to do.

Seriously, you are throwing 4 different bullets with 4 different powders. What are you trying to show?

Way too many variables to obtain anything useful.

Teggy has a good point. Too much to do at once, you can't get any real useful data from all those variables. I think if you get a decent scope, you may be done experimenting. A couple of those loads show real promise. That is the first thing I would fix, then shoot those good groups again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teggy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, what is the point of this thread? I honestly can't make out what your intention is.

Are these the results you obtained after load developement? If so, you have more work to do.
OR
Is this the example of your load developement? If so you have more work, and alot more reading to do.

Seriously, you are throwing 4 different bullets with 4 different powders. What are you trying to show?

Way too many variables to obtain anything useful.</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark42quin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone try H1000 and 168 bergers yet?</div></div>

H1000 is a great powder. I ended up using Berger 168 vld's over 72g Retumbo, CCI-BR2, +3200fps, factory savage. Be careful that is a hot load. Primer pockets loosened up after three reloadings.

Just try one thing at a time.

Three shot group at 1009 yards.
IMG_20101101_100535.jpg

64.6 g 4831sc and 168 vld works for me.

Skyking, Nice shooting. What is that three shot group size at 1009 yards? Sometimes your photobucket picture is not displayed so would be good to have accuracy information here with your well thought out load information when picture doesn't show up. Yes agree with your warning to be careful and change one thing at a time. That is one hot accurate load you did a great job working up to. Great job! Please tell us more about your rifle, barrel, twist, etc?

Nice website and products by the way. Tired of walnut shells and other crap that doesn't work myself when cleaning brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oregon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skyking, Nice shooting. What is that three shot group size at 1009 yards? Sometimes your photobucket picture is not displayed so would be good to have accuracy information here with your well thought out load information when picture doesn't show up. Yes agree with your warning to be careful and change one thing at a time. That is one hot accurate load you did a great job working up to. Great job! Please tell us more about your rifle, barrel, twist, etc?

Nice website and products by the way. Tired of walnut shells and other crap that doesn't work myself when cleaning brass.
</div></div>

Hey Thanks,
It sure is a lot of fun. I never did measure the group, but the black dot is the size of the bottom of a paint can that's 2.5 inches. That is not my gun but my uncles, that I just reload for. I help him get all setup to shoot long range accurately. It is a factory Savage 116 Flhss 1-9.5 twist 24 inch, that I put a 20 moa base on with Nightforce rings and a scope. 5.5-22x50 NP-2DD. Adjusted the trigger down to 2lbs, and put a Holland Muzzle break on it. He took his cow elk this year at 998 yards.

Here it is in action.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NWd1YYouuNQ&feature=channel_video_title"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NWd1YYouuNQ&feature=channel_video_title" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

You rock, thank you for the additional information and video even. With the circle 2.5" that group in the picture seems about or under 5" at 1009yd with a 7mmRM from here.

Nice to hear got an elk at the same distance, practice makes perfect!

To both of you ..... Congratulations on those successful successive 1000yd shots! Not every person or gun can do that.

For all readers of this thread, there is another similar 7mm reload discussion going on at:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=220604&Number=2492034

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MD2Colo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yah, I'm liking the H4831SC but I'll give H1000 a shot, why not.
I think I'll back off the powder with the Sierra bullets to see if the groups tighten up.

I chose 2.815 as a length for the 308 rounds because I measured a bunch of M118LR lying around( 07-09 ) and the average was around 2.810-2.817.
Since the DPMS mags and KAC SR-25/M-110 mags are compatible, I figure if the LR can work through my (the Army's) M-110 they can work through my SASS.

I might go back and seat them to 2.800, which was what my FGMM 175SMK measured to (+/- .005).
Thanks for the advice and insight, guys.
</div></div>

I load the exact same thing in my savage. 64.0 gr of h4831 is max load for the 162sst's. I found that mine liked it best at 63.5 grains. You might consider increasing your powder charge a little more and see if you get some better results. Good luck