• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm Rem Mag vs. 6.5 Creedmoor

jasonostermiller

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2017
I've come to the decision that I will be buying a Tikka T3x for this upcoming deer and elk season. The only problem is that I can't decide between a 7mm Rem Mag, or 6.5 Creedmoor. I have been very successful on elk hunts with the 7 mag, but have not had the opportunity to shoot a 6.5 Creed. I don't see myself shooting past 500 for the time being. There is potential to see a big elk, so I want to feel like I have enough gun to make the shot. Would the Creed carry enough energy at distance? Or should I stick with the 7 RM?

Elk arent bullet proof but i have hit a few with 300WM 200gr partitions in the boiler and they were still on the move. my friend and i couldnt believe it. 1 elk a few years ago i hit with 3 shots at about 325 yards, 2 passed through and one got caught in the far side rib. thing wouldnt die, it was just hanging around staring at me for a good 20 min. when i opened it up, there was nothing left. the guide said it must have had 2 hearts, never seen a elk take that amount of lead and not drop.
id go with the 7mm..more horse power.
also 7mm ammo is everywhere, if you forget your ammo or it gets busted up in travel you can just hit the local store. creed not so much.
if you are buying the rifle for hunting in general go with the 7mm, you can go from deer to black bear and moose no problem.
youll never need another hunting rifle again.

For a dedicated hunting rifle i say 7 mag. If you said it was more for range time with the occasional hunting, then i would say creed

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I'm kind of in the same boat as the above poster; I'd go with the 7mm RM. I have no doubt that the 6.5CM is entirely capable of doing the job, but I think that the Rem Mag may be a bit more forgiving of less-than-ideal shot placement.

Considering the environments in which elk are found (read: mountains), I'd want to go with whatever increases my chances of NOT having to hoof several hundred pounds of dead animal uphill for any length of time. The other thing to consider is that the T3x in 7mm RM won't be any heavier or bigger than the same rifle chambered in 6.5 CM, since T3 actions are all the same length.

Thanks for those replies. They further solidify the idea of getting the 7mm RM. It seems like a pretty good all around hunting cartridge. I won't be shooting it much other than during hunting seasons and practicing for my hunts. I leave the majority of my heavy shooting to my pistol and AR, much cheaper. The Tikka sure does seem light for a magnum rifle though!

Elk arent bullet proof but i have hit a few with 300WM 200gr partitions in the boiler and they were still on the move. my friend and i couldnt believe it. 1 elk a few years ago i hit with 3 shots at about 325 yards, 2 passed through and one got caught in the far side rib. thing wouldnt die, it was just hanging around staring at me for a good 20 min. when i opened it up, there was nothing left. the guide said it must have had 2 hearts, never seen a elk take that amount of lead and not drop.
id go with the 7mm..more horse power.
also 7mm ammo is everywhere, if you forget your ammo or it gets busted up in travel you can just hit the local store. creed not so much.
if you are buying the rifle for hunting in general go with the 7mm, you can go from deer to black bear and moose no problem.
youll never need another hunting rifle again.

Creedmoor ammo is everywhere, and most of what's out there is decent quality stuff. I bet you I could have 300-500 rounds of the same (Hornady 140 or 143 ELD M/X) stuff if I went to all of the local stores here.

At any rate, either is going to work within 400-500yd. Neither is wrong, really personal preference.

I've shot elk with a 300WM in the boilerroom and seen them stay on their feet far longer than I thought possible, with good terminal performance. If I were thinking elk rifle, anything 6.5 would be out of the question. I would rather increase diameter and even give up velocity. Frankly for me elk rifles start at .3 and go up from there, not that the 7mmMag hasn't proven itself.

I have been blessed with having an abundance of elk about 45 minutes from my house. I have killed quite a few through the years with various calibers, including 6.5 cartridges like 6.5 CM and 6.5X55. The 7mm Mag or something like a .280 Improved, .284 Win in a long action loaded to modern velocity, etc., have given me better results at 400+ yards than the 6.5 CM.

I'm kind of in the same boat as the above poster; I'd go with the 7mm RM. I have no doubt that the 6.5CM is entirely capable of doing the job, but I think that the Rem Mag may be a bit more forgiving of less-than-ideal shot placement.

Considering the environments in which elk are found (read: mountains), I'd want to go with whatever increases my chances of NOT having to hoof several hundred pounds of dead animal uphill for any length of time. The other thing to consider is that the T3x in 7mm RM won't be any heavier or bigger than the same rifle chambered in 6.5 CM, since T3 actions are all the same length.

Good advice.

I love the 7RM round for hunting, but I think you'd be GTG with either of those rds. It's just all about good shot placement. I've taken the majority of my elk with the good ol 308 win, and will be taking it out again this season for more elk, and my 6.5 grendel for mulies.

One thing to remember is that if slow is smooth and smooth is fast then less is accurate and accurate is more.

If I take a 50 bmg and just close my eyes and jerk the trigger and hit the elks smartphone he will be more pissed of and less dead than if I calmly breath down, squeeze the comfortable round and put it into the vitals.