• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm Rem. Mag Weatherby Vangard, what can I do with this gun?

stradibarrius

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2017
I have 2 guns that I never use, a 7mm rem mag Weatherby Vangard and a Remington 700 30.06 bath are extremely accurate guns but I don't hunt anymore and hate having "stuff" I don't use. The 7mm mag is built on a Howa 1500 action from what I understand. Should I just buy a new barrel to a heavier barrel and maybe a new stock or just sell it? The same question on the Rem 700 30.06? The Remington 700 30.06 is a wonderful hunting rifle with a walnut stock and a Leupold scope but the recoil is worse than the 7mm mag????

There are any number of fun and interesting chamberings that you could use on that Vanguard; I recently had a 7mm RM rifle re-barreled to 338 WM, but there are plenty of options (including a faster-twist 7mm RM barrel). It'd also work well for something like 6.5 PRC.

Also to throw this out there. Mcgowen now offers barrel nuts for the Weatherby/Howa rifles. So you could have them spin you up a barrel in about anything and install it yourself.

Would it have to be some caliber that is long action since the 7mm RM is long action?

What's the value of the rifles? They sound like older and "nice" rifles. Before spending money by throwing on new barrels. I would try and sell them. With all the new actions out, you could probably build a long range rifle to your exact liking with the proceeds if the sales. Plus you make a couple hunters happy with nice hunting rifles.

What's the value of the rifles? They sound like older and "nice" rifles. Before spending money by throwing on new barrels. I would try and sell them. With all the new actions out, you could probably build a long range rifle to your exact liking with the proceeds if the sales. Plus you make a couple hunters happy with nice hunting rifles.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. They are both really nice guns, I just don't hunt any more or I would keep them.
What would be the best way to sell them without breaking the law?

Every state has different laws. Checking your specific states guidelines would be where I'd start. If you have a local gunshop you use and they would be nice enough to answer questions. I'd call and ask them a few.

The easiest way would be to sell directly to a gun store. Keep in mind they will low ball you. They are buying your gun to turn and sell it to the next guy. They have no idea how long there money will be tied up in your gun or when the right buyer will walk in and want that specific rifle. You could put it on consignment as well. They just take a specific percentage right of the top. Selling privately will put the most money in your pocket.

NEVER ship to an individual. No matter what they say. Always ship to a verified FFL.