• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm Rem Mag

oneshotmike

Private
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2017
N.E.
I am not seeing a lot of information about reloading for this caliber...… I guess its kind of old and not highly sought after caliber. At any rate, I am building a 26 inch barrel 7mm Rem Mag with 8.7 twist rate Bartlein SS barrel, trued SS Remington action, MPA BA Competition Chassis and am working on the scope now, just haven't decided. A friend that reloads is going to help me make some handloads for the gun.. Am considering 168gr and 175 grain and am looking at the Sierra Match BTHP, Federal 215m primers, but am having some trouble with brass selection and powder selection. Norma seems like winner for brass, but seems like no one has it available. I would like some advice from the guys that shoot this caliber. Mostly used to punch holes in paper or ping steel, may long distance hunt from a stand eventually. The goal is to hit 1500 yds this spring with it on steel.
Thanks in advance for any help.

I shoot a 7mm RM. It's a Sendero SF II, 26" barrel, 1x9.25 twist. Very accurate. I hand load using Norma Brass, 168 Berger VLDs, CCI BR2, and H1000. Norma brass seems to be out of stock as well as the H1000. I shot steel out to 730 yds so far. What advice are you looking for?

I shoot a 7mm RM. It's a Sendero SF II, 26" barrel, 1x9.25 twist. Very accurate. I hand load using Norma Brass, 168 Berger VLDs, CCI BR2, and H1000. Norma brass seems to be out of stock as well as the H1000. I shot steel out to 730 yds so far. What advice are you looking for?

There seems to be some bullet weight vs. barrel twist info that may not relate book spec to reality...… I would like to stay in the 168-175 range, but want to make sure 26 inch barrel with 8.7 twsit rate is acceptable. As far as powder, I see some use Retumbo, some H1000, some RL22, some RL25... what's the difference ? or has there been powder development recently? I am new to reloading but not shooting, been using factory ammo on my .308. For primers I see Fed 215M, Fed 210's and the CCI as well....any differences or is this like a Chevy v. Ford argument?

Best to experiment and see what happens?

Am I headed in the right direction with Sierra 175's, Fed 215M, RL 25's and Norma brass?......just cant find available Norma brass? Suggestions?

You should be fine with your twist rate using 168-175 gr bullets. The powders have different burn rates. I'd suggest getting a reloading book and beginning there. You can also go to Hodgden' s website and look up some loads. If you can't find Norma brass, you might try Nosler brass. I'd stay away from Hornady or Winchester (pretty soft brass).

I can't find Norma 7 mag in stock. I checked all my normal places online. Plenty of nosler out there though.

I have had my 7mag out to a mile several times. Load is 70.5 grains of Retumbo with a 162 eld-m in Remington brass and Federal 215 primer. It's doing 3075 fps out of a 26" Mullerworks. I have used Nosler brass in mine and it is very good but almost twice the price of Remington. The Remington has been very consistent in weight.

I have a 7 mag with a 24” 1:9.5 barrel. I called Berger when their new 150 classic hunter came out and ran 69.3 of RL26. If your going run RL25 I suggest RL26.

I know I am out of your weight class, I ran 160 accubonds but the 150’s perform better

I have a 7 mag with a 24” 1:9.5 barrel. I called Berger when their new 150 classic hunter came out and ran 69.3 of RL26. If your going run RL25 I suggest RL26.

I know I am out of your weight class, I ran 160 accubonds but the 150’s perform better

Whats the difference between the RL25 & RL26...….in simple terms?

28" krieger 8.5 twist 700 trued 180eld 2950-3000 4350 7828 H4831 <--wasting powders from last season of testing . Accuracy .3-.5 MOA using Remington brass annealed weight sorted sinclair neck mandrel all single digit sd . Consistant 1700 yards . This year focus h1000 testing berger sierra doing neck turning try for sub .25 -.10. Take it past 2000

Can anyone explain the difference in RL25 and RL 26 in simple terms? Just trying to get a handle on the powder differences.
Thanks in advance

worked up loads for the last two 7 rem mags I worked with . 7828 was what the rifles wanted

I believe Norma supplies Nosler with brass, Nosler just preps and sorts it. I use Nosler brass in my 7mm rem mag, tikka t3x in an mdt chassis. I load Hornady 162 match with 71.5 grains of ADI 2225 which I believe is retumbo here in Australia. Been out to 1250 yards with great results.

You may have some issues stabilizing the 175 eld x (if you try them) depending on where you are located. My old 1:9 would not shoot them. They have a slightly longer bearing surface than the 180s. Unless you are neck sizing brass, it’s kinda pointless to spend a lot of money on belted magnum brass. If you bump the shoulder back, eventually you will end up with a bulge just above the belt. Only real advantage to expensive brass with the belted magnums is primer pockets. Anyone that says they aren’t getting the bulge, aren’t bumping shoulders back or they only have 2-3 firings on the brass. There is a collet die to prevent the bulge and push it back out but my primer pockets don’t last long enough to worry about it. Winchester brass is going to give you the most case capacity. Unfortunately PPU is going to give you the better primer pockets. It is better than Norma or anyone else. I was quite surprised at the quality. It’s really good brass but with shitty case capacity. I was running a 180 eld at 3040 with RL26 and a 26” barrel. My new barrel is being spun up now. It will finish at 30”. It is a 1:8. Let me know if you have any questions.

You may have some issues stabilizing the 175 eld x (if you try them) depending on where you are located. My old 1:9 would not shoot them. They have a slightly longer bearing surface than the 180s. Unless you are neck sizing brass, it’s kinda pointless to spend a lot of money on belted magnum brass. If you bump the shoulder back, eventually you will end up with a bulge just above the belt. Only real advantage to expensive brass with the belted magnums is primer pockets. Anyone that says they aren’t getting the bulge, aren’t bumping shoulders back or they only have 2-3 firings on the brass. There is a collet die to prevent the bulge and push it back out but my primer pockets don’t last long enough to worry about it. Winchester brass is going to give you the most case capacity. Unfortunately PPU is going to give you the better primer pockets. It is better than Norma or anyone else. I was quite surprised at the quality. It’s really good brass but with shitty case capacity. I was running a 180 eld at 3040 with RL26 and a 26” barrel. My new barrel is being spun up now. It will finish at 30”. It is a 1:8. Let me know if you have any questions.

I would be keen to here how your 30” 1:8 barrel goes. I’m currently at 1000 rounds in my factory tikka 1:9 barrel so I’m starting to look at new barrels. I was thinking 28” 1:8 but 30” certainly wouldn’t be a hindrance for me.

Reactions: clcustom1911
I would be keen to here how your 30” 1:8 barrel goes. I’m currently at 1000 rounds in my factory tikka 1:9 barrel so I’m starting to look at new barrels. I was thinking 28” 1:8 but 30” certainly wouldn’t be a hindrance for me.

I should be picking it up in the next two weeks. I will let you know what kinda velocities I get. I am expecting at least 3075 maybe a touch more. We shall see.

My 9.25 twist 40X barrel shot the 175 SMK very well. You should look at a twist calculator for 'very long' VLD bullets to see if they will work.

26” hart 1/9 on a trued Remington 700 I have used 4831sc for years and have had great success with the 168 nosler cc, 168 Berger vld and the 168 ablr for a hunting bullet

I have a load that works great for me. Specifics are at home. Consists of Berger 175 gr EH, Nosler brass, Fed 215 GM, and RL26. This combo was so forgiving and easy. MV avg is 3,056 fps with a 26" Bartlein. My better load was 3, 112 fps but I toned it down for a Mexico hunt. Both loads would provide 5 shot 1/2inch groups time and time again. Oh, and I use a Labradar doppler chronograph and verified down range. Any questions and I'm happy to help.

I’ve had good luck with 62.2gr of RL-23 with the 171gr Barnes Match Burner at about 2900fps.
I was able to hit at a mile for the first time with that load.

Following for interest in 7mm magnums.

I have a couple 7rm's and I love them both! I use Nosler brass almost exclusively, with a Wolf LR-M primer and 71.7gr of Retumbo under a 162ELD-M/X.. Gets me to 3170fps and half minute groups all day.

It will thwack anything in N. America dead with ease and will smash steel at extended ranges without issue. One of my favorite rounds out there.

Reactions: Zeroit
I LOVE my 7mm RemMag. Tikka T3x is what I'm running with a factory 9.5 twist barrel.... soon to spin on a 8 or 8.5 twist 26" barrel. Your 8.7 twist will do fine and dandy with everything up to and including the 183 Matchkings. The 168 and 175 Matchkings are fine bullets and will be fantastic with H1000, Retumbo, Ramshot Magnum, WC857, Reloder 25, Reloder 26, Magpro, Norma MRP, and others in that slower burning category.

I use R-P brass and ADG brass with 215m primers. I shoot 168 MKs, 168 Berger VLD Targets, 175 ELD-x's, and even 183 Matchkings... yeah my 9.5 twist doesn't fully stabilize them to take best advantage of the BC, but, hey, it's still accurate and fun enough. I have about 1500 of the 183 Matchkings taunting me to get a new barrel.

How is the new ADG brass?
Badass. You need it.
client_PART_1556947002243_IMG_20190419_134922_01.jpg

Reactions: SporterII
Can anyone explain the difference in RL25 and RL 26 in simple terms? Just trying to get a handle on the powder differences.
Thanks in advance
26 has better temp stability over 25. And 26 has a bit of a velocity advantage and burns a tick slower than 25 as well.

I'm at least 1000 rounds deep into a T3x Lite 7mm RemMag as well. AWESOME RIFLE. I'm still torn between 8.5 and 8 twist when I rebarrel. I'm likely going to go no longer than 26".

Cheers