• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm RM, how many reloads from brass do you get

RobG

Douchebag Hauler
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2007
W. Sac, Kalifornia
I am using Rem brass that was new, FL sizing, custom chamber to space off shoulder, 67 gr of R22. I am at 8 reloads and found a few of the primer pockets to be looser than most. The rest of the case looks fine. How many reloads is everyone getting out of their brass, and what brass are you using?

Thanks

Re: 7mm RM, how many reloads from brass do you get

I use Rem brass as well and most of my rounds have 5-6 reloads on them and have no signs of any problems. I run 60 gr of 4831 in them.

You are probably nearing the end of their life at 8. From my experience you have done pretty well if you are loading hot.

After 5 or 6 I just toss mine out and buy new. This caliber seems to be rough on brass. I'm running 66 grains of RL-22.

Im runnin Winchester. Some have 10+ loadings on them. Generally neck size only. If they get a little tough to chamber, Ill bump the shoulder. PPs are still tight. I anneal them about every 4th firing. 71.5 Retumbo with 168VLDs.

6 to 8 reloads is about right for commercial brass which is all you are going to find for non military calibers.
You can get some Wolff primers (Russian made) which are a tad wider than US production and get more loads out of a case when the primer pocket opens up.

On the other hand using military match brass for 308/30.06 you can get plenty of reloads with the right chamber. For instance I have one 30.06 LC63 Match case I have loaded 157 times and pocket is still tight.

Case life is like gas mileage, the faster you go the shorter the distance you can drive.

"How many reloads is everyone getting out of their brass, and what brass are you using?"

I don't know about everyone but my cases fail due to neck or body splits due to cold working. Without annealing I probably average maybe 8-10 cycles in several cartridges. Annealing the necks after 5 cycles, and neck sizing, doubles and triples that.

I generally use Federal, Remington, WW, Norma, Star and GI surplus cases.

Great info, thanks. I will keep an eye on the primer pockets on my next loading. If I can get 10 loadings I will be satisfied.

Well looks like 8 is about where it ends. I got some sooty shit around some primers and a couple actually burnt the edges of the primer/pocket. The rest of the case looks fine which is a bummer. Most still look alright and do not have the soot/burning but, I am thinking it may be a good idea to scrap them before they get to that point to be on the safe side.