• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

7mm rm load way off please help

7mmVertigo

Private
Minuteman
Sorry I posted this in wrong forum first I believe this is where it should be:

Hey hide I need some serious counseling here. Here is what's going on. I have a rem sendero 2 action and factory barrel mounted on top of a jae700 chassis and it sees through a swfa 5-25x50 HD. I took out for load development sat. Took with me an ocw test. Sighted rifle in with factory hunting ammo yes I know oops. Then proceeded with the worst ocw test ever. Every shot was off paper very scattered And there was no discernible grouping. So I figured okay dumb ass let sight it in with the right ammo. The ammo I'm shooting/loading for this gun is the berger 168 with RETUMBO .010 off lands. Okay so I took it today with a new ocw test in hand and sighting in rounds with 69 grains. Got it on paper and proceeded. This time 85% hit paper but again no good grouping and not discernible! I really need help with this one! Is anyone experiencing these problems with the 7mm. Here is some more pertinent facts.

I'm seeing pressure signs at load 3 with 69gr and still have 70.6 and 71.3 to go.
I have checked ALL likely suspects. Everything is tight and torqued with lock tight scope is level with rifle.
Keep in mind this is a stock remington 700 sendero II in the chassis until I can get either a re barrel or the stiller/shilled combo I want.

My loads are as follows:
Sighters: 64.1, 65.4, 66.7
Load 1: 67.5
Load 2: 68.2
Load 3: 69.0
Load 4: 69.8
Load 5: 70.6
Load 6: 71.3

Dan if your out there please toss me a bone here :)

I know it's NOT the shooter as after this second fail I got behind my buddies 300 and put 3 rounds sub moa. His gun is identical in every way except caliber and optic.

PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP ME?
Am I seeing too much pressure? Or what?

Here is the today's target:
attachment.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm no fan of factory guns, but people get them to shoot. The group on the lower left had something going on, why not try that charge and adjust your seating depth?
I've never taken the time to understand the OCW method, but I've never needed it, I just find a velocity I can live with, and mess with seating depth, and wa-la, a bag of skittles just falls into ones lap.

I'm a little surprised that you are seeing pressure signs at 69 with Retumbo but that is why we "work loads up". Every rifle is unique. What are your pressure signs? Heavy bolt lift?
I agree with Milo that the 68.2g load is where your focus should be and mess with seating depth and see if there is a sweet spot then adjust charge in 0.1g at a time up and/or down.

Sorry I posted this in wrong forum first I believe this is where it should be:

Hey hide I need some serious counseling here. Here is what's going on. I have a rem sendero 2 action and factory barrel mounted on top of a jae700 chassis and it sees through a swfa 5-25x50 HD. I took out for load development sat. Took with me an ocw test. Sighted rifle in with factory hunting ammo yes I know oops. Then proceeded with the worst ocw test ever. Every shot was off paper very scattered And there was no discernible grouping. So I figured okay dumb ass let sight it in with the right ammo. The ammo I'm shooting/loading for this gun is the berger 168 with RETUMBO .010 off lands. Okay so I took it today with a new ocw test in hand and sighting in rounds with 69 grains. Got it on paper and proceeded. This time 85% hit paper but again no good grouping and not discernible! I really need help with this one! Is anyone experiencing these problems with the 7mm. Here is some more pertinent facts.

I'm seeing pressure signs at load 3 with 69gr and still have 70.6 and 71.3 to go.
I have checked ALL likely suspects. Everything is tight and torqued with lock tight scope is level with rifle.
Keep in mind this is a stock remington 700 sendero II in the chassis until I can get either a re barrel or the stiller/shilled combo I want.

My loads are as follows:
Sighters: 64.1, 65.4, 66.7
Load 1: 67.5
Load 2: 68.2
Load 3: 69.0
Load 4: 69.8
Load 5: 70.6
Load 6: 71.3

Dan if your out there please toss me a bone here :)

I know it's NOT the shooter as after this second fail I got behind my buddies 300 and put 3 rounds sub moa. His gun is identical in every way except caliber and optic.

PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP ME?
Am I seeing too much pressure? Or what?

Here is the today's target:
attachment.php

A few things that stand out

1. Since the action has been placed in a chassis have you checked the torque of the actions screaws, ensured free float, etc.

2. What kind of bore conditions did you start the test with, clean, fouled, etc

3. Has the gun ever been consistant in your limited testing ? If not you may have something else going on that needs to be fixed first. Most factory Rems should be within 1-2 MOA with good hunting ammo.

4. What kind of cool down do you have between shots, 7mm gets things warmed up fast !

5. My understanding is the gun is a new build with all new stuff. All must be looked at to ensure there isnt something going on that is NOT load realted otherwise your wasting time and money. Go to a consistant factory ammo, swap scopes, check everything twice.

Last edited:
Rprecision thanks for your thorough response. Here some answers to your questions

The chassis was checked and free float verified all screws torqued to spec with blue loctight

My bore conditions where clean bore with 6 fowling shots prior to

My cool down time between shots was approx a min to min and a half.

As far as grouping with hunting loads it grouped as I'd expect rem hunting loads from this gun to group... Like you said 1-2 moa but good enough to get on paper to start sending more quality loads out( so I thought)

This Sunday I will be taking it out and conducting these tests before proceeding with load development:

I'm putting my buddies sendero 300wm in the chassis and see it there is an issue with the chassis (his gun is identical to my mine in every way except for caliber and optic)

I'm putting the scope on a known tac driver I own in 22-250 and box test it.

Then if they rule out I will put my build back together and shoot factory ammo to see If it groups if it does great, if not ill be on the phone with remington. And bartlein.

I will let you with a post update that evening what my findings are.

Last edited:
I load and compete with the Berger 168 grainers. My first inclination is they are jumping too much to the lands. My rifle likes the Bergers ten thou INTO the lands. Just remember that jamming bullets will cause a pressure spike, so back off on your charge as you get closer to the lands.

7magsavage thanks for the heads up. The paper that has a shotgun style grouping was shot at .010 off lands. Everything I'm reading from others like yourself especially using factory barrels is saying to touch the lands or jam into lands. I'm not doing anymore load developement until everything equipment related is rules out. But what's your take on coal? You have good results jamming the lands huh? Maybe ill give that a try.

I started loading the Bergers at the same jump to the lands as my SMK load for the 7mag. which is 0.042". Seemed like a logical place to start. That load shot terrible. It was something like 2+ inches at 100 yards. I noticed the closer I moved to the lands the better it grouped until finally I decided to put them in there. I made sure the bullets wouldn't get stuck in the chamber and would eject, since it would suck to not be able to unload a rifle without spilling powder everywhere. Never had the first issue with pressure signs or anything of the sort either.
It would be worth trying I believe.