• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 7mm RUM too much for me??

WEM

Private
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2008
MI
Have the opportunity to purchase a Remington 700 KS mountain rifle in 7MM RUM that weights in at 6 LBS for less than $1,300. I usually shoot a 308 exclussively, am I right that this will kick like a mule on fire?

Re: 7mm RUM too much for me??

Are you recoil sensitive??

you are the only one that would know if you can handle it, they do kick like a SOB! and in my opinion the 7RUM is not a very good round, it is pretty inefficient as far as powder charge VS. velocity goes, I don't know if you reload so that might not matter, but i'd stick with a 7WSM or remmy mag

JMHO

Steve

Recoil would be rough in a standard weight rifle. Lose two pounds of it and its plenty worse.

Kinda what i thought. Never really enjoyed shooting my 338 WM which has stayed in the safe for the past 7 years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WEM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have the opportunity to purchase a Remington 700 KS mountain rifle in 7MM RUM that weights in at 6 LBS for less than $1,300. I usually shoot a 308 exclussively, am I right that this will kick like a mule on fire? </div></div>

The only RUM I would purchase / build would be the 300RUM. The 338 Edge is another good one to build as it uses the 300RUM case necked up to 338. Either would have to be on a 27"+ barrel with a brake though. The 7mmRUM in a mountain rifle will never drive the 168/180's to a velocity that'll trump the 7mmRM. Save your money for something better, the 7RUM isnt it.

Yes, I'd say it would kick like a mule with a branding iron on it's ass. Which is pretty hard if I remember correctly. Nothing wrong with adding a bunch of pounds to that rifle if you wanted to shoot it.

Honestly, that's a lot of money for a rifle that you may not want to shoot much. I would personally look for a used 7mm Rem mag and re-barrel and re-stock it. When you load for it neck size only and save on brass.

I personally shoot a 7WSM for a 7mm Mag and it's plenty of cartridge to power out 180's to necessary velocity. It generally runs about 7-9 gr. less than the 7mm Rem. If going for all out velocity the 7mm Rem mag will edge the 7mm WSM. But I don't load for all out performance.
Once you get off the magnum kick and think about a 7mm-08 or 7mm-08AI or 7x57(AI) then you've got some efficiency and the ability to launch a bullet a long ways.

P.S.

Slayer,

Doesn't Roger, who runs the shoots up in Princeton, shoot a 7mm RUM?

Yep, I think so

i'm not a fan of the 7RUM at all, I love my 7wsm, thought about an STW, but the difference isn't big enough for me to jump on the bandwagon, not that its a bad round, just not my cup of tea...

Steve

That's right, he shoots an STW not an RUM. It still kicks pretty hard from what I saw. My WSM has a brake on it or I wouldn't shoot it. My thought is that when you even start thinking about recoil...it's going to affect you.

I don't care for recoil, my WSM's got a brake on it too, I can stay on target very easily with it, and it only weighs about 7lbs
i'd say the recoil is comparable to a 243 with heavy bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WEM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kinda what i thought. Never really enjoyed shooting my 338 WM which has stayed in the safe for the past 7 years. </div></div>

Then you most likely will not like a 7RUM either. That cartridge is best defined as too much of a good thing. A lot of powder to get a little more performance. I'd get a 7RM, 7wsm or 280 if you want a good 7mm.

One of my buddies bought one of those 7RUMs right after they came out.....Barrel was gone after only 500 rounds. Your giving up a lot of trigger time based on that.

I've blasted the crap out of stuff with a 7 RUM and a 160gr Accubond. Along with a 7mm Mag and a 7X57. Everything thing I've shot with all three cartridges couldn't tell the difference but the 7 Ultra sure is FUN! I had a Vais Arms brake on mine and it was screwed into a Remington KS kevlar stock, super light and kicked like a pussy cat. I had to wear hearing protection or it would ROCK my world and everyone elses for that matter. Hard to find fault with the flatest shooting factory cartridge out there. Who cares if it uses a TON of powder and smokes barrels, they will make more powder and barrels. Hell, if it weren't for cartridges like the 7 Ultra there would be allot less work for the gunsmiths out there.

Buy it and BANG AWAY!!!!!

Richard Simmons called and asked for you to man the fuck up! 36 lb of recoil should not bother you, if it does you need to not shoot over one hundred yards. Stay with a 308 or less. It’s also a lot cheaper.

I love my 7mm ultra my o3a3 kicks harder than the 7 ultra dose it ain't bad bad is my 378 weatherby with no break