• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm SAUM at 1000?

KPK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
Oklahoma
How does this round perform at 1,000? Say loaded with 168 Bergers or 162 Amax? I have a Sendero I'm working on now. Got the stock and bottom metal on the way. Just getting some info.

Thanks,
Kyle

Re: 7mm SAUM at 1000?

It works very well from what I have seen. Scored an F-class where someone using a 7mm SAUM won a modified F-class at Quantico.

Good luck

Jerry

Thanks guys. I've done a ton of research on it and it seems to kick ass. I just hope the factory Sendero barrel will do well. Got an A5 headed to CDI for bottom metal and It'll be on! I think I'm going to start with 168 Bergers and 162 Amax's...

mine did very well running the 162 a max @ 3200 . never shot past it past 1k but it did very well .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does this round perform at 1,000? Say loaded with 168 Bergers or 162 Amax? I have a Sendero I'm working on now. Got the stock and bottom metal on the way. Just getting some info.

Thanks,
Kyle </div></div>

Mine is built on a 700LA with Badger bottom metal, mine son's is on a custom SA. His has shot a 8" group of 5rds at 1750yds, there's a post somewhere here on the hide. 180 VLD's or 180 JLK's work very very good, he dropped a 800# cow elk this year with his at 700+ yds.

im currently working on a 7 SAUM myself. and going to try the 168-180gr's Id only be able to test to 750 but I cant wait to try it out.

using 160grn accubonds in mine with rl 17 and it shoots bug holes killed a little blacktail at 489 last year. love it she runs neck and neck with my brothers 280AI in a nice little short package

Danny Biggs just set the F open record with the 7 RSAUM at 1K using the 180 Berger Hybrid bullets, H4350, and Rem brass. He shot a 200, 15X not once but twice.

Welp boys got my stock and CDI bottom metal back. Stuck the MK 4 scope on and ready to shoot. Got a few 168 bergers and 162 amaxs ready for the weekend! I'll report back on accuracy, etc. From all I'm reading and your comments this thing outta perform!

IMG_0977.jpg

man, that gun should be a hammer, should shoot easily to 1K, i was considering a 6.5X284, but the more reading i do about this cartridge, the more i lean twards this type of build. give us a follow up on the range report.

KPK, Can't wait to hear your results I have a stiller Tac 300 coming from the group buy then my 7saum will be done as well. KPK what twist is your saum I went with a LONG Shilen select 1-9 twist. I've got some 162 A-max, sierra 175s and Matrix 168s to test as soon as it is complete.

Skinney, I like this cartridge solely on the fact that it can chunch heavier bullets for long range hunting, and supposedly should have a longer barrel life. I contemplated the 6.5x284 as well. I'd like a .260 though!

beretta I'm going to try and get out today to do some shooting. We'll see how that goes. Got a 2 year old and may be keeping him today. I'll get on asap and post results. The rifle is a Sendero barreled action so I'm not exactly sure what the twist is. I would assume 1:9.5". Sounds like you will have a great rifle! Lots of bullets to test too.

Great caliber.Be aware that is caliber is prone to copper fouling in the last 5 or 6 inches of barrel.

Danny Biggs just set 2 F-Open records at 1k with that chambering 2 weeks ago in Phoenix. I guess it works okay at a grand.

A buddy of mine who I shoot with, and is also on this forum, put together a 7SAUM for 1K yd comp/hunting.

I believe he is shooting 180 Bergers, and this thing is a hammer out to 1K.

IMO it seems like with the 7SAUM pushin the heavy's you get the best of both worlds - Super high BC projectile, with plenty enough ass behind it.

with mine the amax tops out at 3050 but accuracy is at 2950
not so impressive
however yesterday i shot 190 vld at 2830-50 annd really accurate
so im giving up on the amax and going to concentrate on the 180 and 190 vld

poor me hahahaha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Heavy Haulin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Super high BC projectile, with plenty enough ass behind it. </div></div>
damn straight on this, i have a buddy who brough over his 7mm STW, and was damn near punchin holes through 1/4" steel plates at 1100yds!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great caliber.Be aware that is caliber is prone to copper fouling in the last 5 or 6 inches of barrel. </div></div>

Im curious as to how cartridge case dimensions can effect a bullet depositing jacket material 20inches from where it left the case... do you mean this caliber fouls worse in comparison to other 7mm`s of similar performance such as the 7mm WSM for example?

Sounds like another wives tale... you more than likely have witnessed a barrel issue, not a caliber issue...

You may want to do some research....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: groper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great caliber.Be aware that is caliber is prone to copper fouling in the last 5 or 6 inches of barrel. </div></div>

Im curious as to how cartridge case dimensions can effect a bullet depositing jacket material 20inches from where it left the case... do you mean this caliber fouls worse in comparison to other 7mm`s of similar performance such as the 7mm WSM for example?

Sounds like another wives tale... you more than likely have witnessed a barrel issue, not a caliber issue... </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great caliber.Be aware that is caliber is prone to copper fouling in the last 5 or 6 inches of barrel. </div></div>

I believe you, but can you explain how/why this caliber? OR point me in the direction of a good read? I can't really find a why on the net just that it happens.

Works great at 1000 yds my shooting partner cleans up in F class, High Master open matches. He is running 180 gr at 2850-2900 fps.

On the down side he is on his third barrel, two barrels went out around 700 rounds. He is going to try one more after this after Meldonite process to extend life.

Welp went out today and put a few rounds through it. Didn't really get to shoot groups much, but fired quite a few rounds. Zero'd at 100 with terrible shooting Remington ammo. Didn't have many handloads so didn't get to really test 'er. I did get some steel hits at 850 with the Remington loads! Pretty damn fun! Here's some pics of our farm...

IMG00181-20110213-1537.jpg

IMG00182-20110213-1537.jpg

IMG00183-20110213-1537.jpg

short action for single load is a touch more rigid, long action will give any possible COL from a magazine, I went with short, single shot target action, a single shot is also a touch stiffer

Thanks vman. I need to get some targets setup from 100-1000, if I can ever get that far...