• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm SAUM Dead? 7-6.5 PRC the answer?

fdkay

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 27, 2009
    Ingleside, Tx
    Oddly, with quite a few folks begging for 7mm SAUM brass, it seems extinct, shame, as it is an excellent cartridge.
    I started a medium action build, my plan was to start with the 7-08AI for most things (pigs, deer etc...) and purchase a bolthead and have a barre spun up for 7 SAUM.
    I see there are at least three 7mm wildcats on the 6.5 PRC, which, for the time being, has several different companies producing brass.
    Eric Cortina has one, I believe @orkan has one and there is one more floating around.
    I know the performance isn't identical, but it should be close.
    Should I go the wildcat route to get the performance I want?
    I hope to someday, do an elk hunt and I wanted to drive the 180's to a respectable velocity in a 24" barrel.
    I've already purchased the parts for the 08 build, I really wanted a dual purpose, lightweight rig.

Oddly, with quite a few folks begging for 7mm SAUM brass, it seems extinct, shame, as it is an excellent cartridge.
    I started a medium action build, my plan was to start with the 7-08AI for most things (pigs, deer etc...) and purchase a bolthead and have a barre spun up for 7 SAUM.
    I see there are at least three 7mm wildcats on the 6.5 PRC, which, for the time being, has several different companies producing brass.
    Eric Cortina has one, I believe @orkan has one and there is one more floating around.
    I know the performance isn't identical, but it should be close.
    Should I go the wildcat route to get the performance I want?
    I hope to someday, do an elk hunt and I wanted to drive the 180's to a respectable velocity in a 24" barrel.
    I've already purchased the parts for the 08 build, I really wanted a dual purpose, lightweight rig.
    Actually there has been a bunch of ADG 7 SAUM brass available lately. I'm on my 3rd 7 Saum and wouldn't think of looking back. Great round, tunes easy , and kills dead. Just got done neck turning 200 pieces. Scheels had it and also I believe Bullet Central and others.

Reactions: hseII and Bradu
    Actually there has been a bunch of ADG 7 SAUM brass available lately. I'm on my 3rd 7 Saum and wouldn't think of looking back. Great round, tunes easy , and kills dead. Just got done neck turning 200 pieces. Scheels had it and also I believe Bullet Central and others.
    I've been searching, unable to find any. I'd like to have a stash before I order the barrel. It's going to be a hunting rifle, so 50 pieces would likely last me years.
    I'll check those names you threw out though, thanks
    I've put my name on the list for ADG and several vendors, as no one has it in stock.
    Again, it's odd, as it seems fairly popular and I know there are quite a few F class shooters that run it.

The 7-6.5PRC was likely conceived due to the issues with the 7SAUM brass AND its availability. The 7-6.5 runs a little slower but you start with Lapua brass which is a big plus. It’s not immune to clickers as some have seen but it gets you in a similar performance range

Reactions: 3rdfocal
    The 7-6.5PRC was likely conceived due to the issues with the 7SAUM brass AND its availability. The 7-6.5 runs a little slower but you start with Lapua brass which is a big plus. It’s not immune to clickers as some have seen but it gets you in a similar performance range
    From what I understand there is more to it than just running a 7mm mandrel through the neck of 6.5 PRC brass and loading. Is this correct.

Hornady now offers a 7 PRC, but it is much different than the one used in F-Class which is a 7 PRCW. Erik an a few others are making dies for this variant and reamers are also available.

From what I understand there is more to it than just running a 7mm mandrel through the neck of 6.5 PRC brass and loading. Is this correct.
    I've been searching, unable to find any. I'd like to have a stash before I order the barrel. It's going to be a hunting rifle, so 50 pieces would likely last me years.
    I'll check those names you threw out though, thanks
    I've put my name on the list for ADG and several vendors, as no one has it in stock.
    Again, it's odd, as it seems fairly popular and I know there are quite a few F class shooters that run it.
    Brunos was showing Norma 7 SAUM brass available yesterday, someone else had it that I was looking at before I got the ADG. I believe it was Arm or Allay. Good company, I've bought from them.

Thanks for all the replies, I was able to find some in stock at bullet central and ordered 1 box.
    That part of my build isn't going to happen till next year, I'm still waiting on my barrel for the 7-08.
    I'll keep my eyes open for the occasional times the brass is on sale and pick up another box.

Pick up another box from bullet central right now if you can so you have 100 pieces of same lot number….

Bullet central also has Norma 7saum brass in stock right now as well. It’s definitely becoming more available than it was. ADG makes a run of it twice a year. So there are periods when it will be harder to find

I've been shooting 7 saum for a while now and have also had excellent results with norma brass. I think the saum will be around for a very long time.

That said. I'm switching to the 7-6.5 as we speak 😆. Lapua brass

What is the cheapest neck turning setup that produces decent results? I have several hundred pieces of unfired 6.5 PRC Lapua brass and wouldn’t mind giving a 7-6.5 PRC a try. Neck turning isn’t going to be my new hobby so i don’t want to invest much. Really don’t want to invest any. 😂

What is the cheapest neck turning setup that produces decent results? I have several hundred pieces of unfired 6.5 PRC Lapua brass and wouldn’t mind giving a 7-6.5 PRC a try. Neck turning isn’t going to be my new hobby so i don’t want to invest much. Really don’t want to invest any. 😂
    I'd just go with a no turn neck reamer and skip turning necks.

Some people may be turning donuts out of their necks. When you neck up brass, often times it would create a donut after the first firing. Well known when converting Lapua 6.5-284W brass to 284W (ironic, right?). It would create a donut every time. There's a thread on this site by @Jackomason where he discovers the same thing in his 7-6.5PRC converting Lapua brass by necking up.

Is there really any issue finding ADG Saum brass at this point?

The 7-6.5PRC seems like a replacement for .284 Win for F-Class. No .284 Lapua brass, but plenty of Lapua 6.5 PRC. It doesn't seem like a replacement for the SAUM.

Why do you say that?

People who were shooting .284 with 180 Hybrids in F-Class now shoot 180 Hybrids in a 7-6.5 PRC. It fits a niche cartridge size/powder capacity. I don't think it has anything to do with being better than the SAUM, or even competing with it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231116_203348_Firefox.jpg
      Screenshot_20231116_203348_Firefox.jpg
      130.9 KB · Views: 147
    People who were shooting .284 with 180 Hybrids in F-Class now shoot 180 Hybrids in a 7-6.5 PRC. It fits a niche cartridge size/powder capacity. I don't think it has anything to do with being better than the SAUM, or even competing with it.
    I shot 284W in Fclass.

Are they shooting the 7-6.5PRC in short actions or long?

F-class barrels seem to be getting about 1500 rounds of match level accuracy out of the 7-6.5 prc (these are fairly long and hot strings of fire). The saums are shot out well before then. If you're shooting a few hundred rounds per month, there's an advantage there. If you're gonna do a couple hundred rounds a year, won't matter much.

Reactions: oldnewguy
    I belive lapua suspended production of 6.5-284 during covid. Not sure if they've changed that but 6.5 PRC is usually available.

I'm launching 180's at 2825fps~ with a 26" barrel. Compare that to what ever you want to. I could go a little hotter but I don't see another 50fps changing much for my application.

ADG has had 7 SAUM brass popping up lately, if I didn't enjoy screwing with brass then I'd probably just do that.

If you want to get hung up on nuance, go join F-class.

If your needs require you to push a caliber to or beyond its limits, then you might want to look at a long action... IMO there aren't many NEEDS that require a long action but I don't care what you do with your money...

To answer the original question. 7 SAUM is an excellent cartridge and it seems like in recent years it started making a come back. ADG caught up to the many requests and pumped out some brass. However about that time (ish) 7 PRC was released. I kinda think the 7 PRC is going to damper the momentum the 7 SAUM was gaining now. Couple that with Cortina pumping the ease of 7-6.5PRC and 7 saum may fall back to previous demand. It works best in medium length action or maybe tweaked mags in a LA and at that point why not do 7 PRC in a LA?

At this point I’d look at 7 SAUM as a great SA hunting round that you you shoot 160-170 class bullets out of or build a specialized medium length semi elr rig with it. Get brass now as I’m not sure the demand will remain.

What I'm finding interesting is that one of the top calibers chambered in some customs is 7SAUM, I'm on my 3rd one and in the process of finishing a barrel for a friend that shot mine. What impresses me is it's ability to shoot a wide variety of loads very accurately with a whole lot less powder, which in turn is less blast & recoil. I'll give up 50 fps for that. Critters don't seem to notice the difference. I have enough ADG brass to last me and my buds the rest of our lives.

There was a guy out on my land deer hunting with a 7-6.5prc loaded with Berger 180's. IIRC it had a 26" barrel w/8t. I believe it would be a good solution to a brass problem? I've noticed Hornady has pumped out 6.5orc and 7saum brass lately, but not sure the quality?

There is a reason you don't see a lot of Hornady brass listed in load recipes. Can you use it? Yes, but there are better options. I know guys who have no issues but if you're loading anywhere near the top charge it doesn't hold up.

• Sad
    Reactions: Top O' Texas
    F-class barrels seem to be getting about 1500 rounds of match level accuracy out of the 7-6.5 prc (these are fairly long and hot strings of fire). The saums are shot out well before then. If you're shooting a few hundred rounds per month, there's an advantage there. If you're gonna do a couple hundred rounds a year, won't matter much.
    Is 1500 rounds from the 7-6.5PRC accurate?

I have been hearing all kinds of different numbers (800 and up)