• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm SAUM vs 280 Ackley Improved (280AI)

St. Michael's Armory

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2020
I am putting together ideas for a versatile hunting / fun range gun. I already have a 6.5 PRC production rifle. This build will use a Ruckus long action receiver, likely hinged floor plate with Wyatt's extended box, #4 barrel. I am not as concerned about weight and am fine with ending up with a bare rifle in the 8lb range. The chambering will either be a 7 SAUM or 280 AI. What are advantages/disadvantages between these two cartridges? I have read just about everything on the forums but most of the posts tend to be older. Seems that most of it comes down to the ability to chamber the 7 SAUM in a short/XM action vs. needing the long action for the 280. That is not in play here. I am a handloader so availability of factory ammo is unimportant. A big plus is that ADG makes brass for the 7 SAUM (when it is available). I am in the late stages of planning this build and the decision point comes down to the chambering, tending towards the 7 SAUM. Thank you for your thoughts and feedback.

I’d go .280ai, or actually straight .280, and neck it to run Lapua 30-06 brass. It leaves the brass window wide open and slick feeding is a given.

Lapua just announced 284 win brass for Q1 2021. That would be easy button. Very high quality brass with identical capacity to a straight .280. Also the cartridge that dominates F-class. Something to think about.

284 is another great option.
280AI and 7 saum basically do the same thing.
7 saum has ADG brass.

I love my 7 saum and shoot Berger 190’s at a 3.090 oal.
Brass life has been excellent and it’s really forgiving to load.

If you value barrel life, the 280AI will live longer. A shame also to not use the long action when you have got it.

Brass. Who cares. 😉

I would go saum because of the case dimensions. Short fat cases are more efficient and more consistent. It makes them easier to load for.

I run the 7 Sherman Short which is basically an 7 saum ackley. It is stupid simple to load up a 180 vld and shoot tiny groups.

I would go saum because of the case dimensions. Short fat cases are more efficient and more consistent. It makes them easier to load for.

I run the 7 Sherman Short which is basically an 7 saum ackley. It is stupid simple to load up a 180 vld and shoot tiny groups.
A11815DB-FA3E-4203-86D2-27FF59DEE006.gif

Love my 280AI, I heavily considered the SAUM but it seemed like wasted space in a long action and the AI fits 4 down in the mag box. Both are great cartridges regardless. Mine shoots 155 hammers at 3k comfortably from a 24 inch proof barrel.

I bought a 7SS reamer and gauge, cause I found the "perfect" magnum cartridge for what I do...