• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm SAW

Temper

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
May 29, 2011
FL
Anyone reloading for this cartridge? What kind of velocities and accuracy are you getting? I saw it while perusing West Texas Ordnance's website looking for info on the Switchlug and it's caught my interest as I'm interested in switching calibers and I have plenty of the brass used to make this cartridge.

These numbers seem a little too good to be true to me for just a modified 308 case.

https://westtexordnance.com/7mm-saw-barrel-length-and-power-tests/

Last edited:
Reactions: Sil17sd
How different is it to 7-08 AI?

No fireforming, no neck turning and ability to shoot the 16Xgr pills out in the 2900 range acording to their tests. What really caught my attention about this round is that it carries roughly 950ft lbs energy out to 1000 after running some similar numbers.

Looks like marketing to me. Just eyeballing the pics on their website, I would opt for a 7-08AI.= Simplicity.

This option ends up being simpler for me. I already have everything but the releoding dies and the bullets. Every other option but the 260 is more of an investment or work on the reloading bench for me(I'm a novice reloader).

Last edited:
Reactions: Three57 and hseII
And yet, they're willing to put their money where their mouth is. Clayton Smith (WTO's owner) ran 7 SAW last season in PRS, and shot it at the Finale. Just FWIW...

Glad to hear it. Does nothing to change my opinion, as I see nothing that would indicate a marked improvement over a 7-08 AI. I have no experience with Mr. Smith hence no opinion on Mr. Smiths ability nor talent. I likewise have no axe to grind nor any skin in this particular game. Simple observation posted.

Glad to hear it. Does nothing to change my opinion, as I see nothing that would indicate a marked improvement over a 7-08 AI. I have no experience with Mr. Smith hence no opinion on Mr. Smiths ability nor talent. I likewise have no axe to grind nor any skin in this particular game. Simple observation posted.

no fireforming on the 7 SAW

The key to the performance seems to lie in the Lapua Small Primer case, allowing it to run higher pressures. Eyeballing it looks very similar to what would be a 7mmSLR.

Can someone provide case capacities for 7-08 , 7SLR , 7-08AI , 7SAW !.
Also does the SAW's design reduce case stretch like an AI ?
I'm considering the SAW for a target/ hunting SA project .
Thanks !

Anybody ? , 7-08 & 7-08 AI aren't hard to find but SLR & SAW seem non-existent . The SAW has piqued my interest !

I had WTO hang a 26" Bartlein chambered in 7mm SAW .150 freebore on my BigHorn TL3 and it has been outstanding so far. I am not running Lapua Palma brass like they recommend, I am using Hornady TAP once fired brass since i have a bunch of it. I planned on shooting the 162's but my buddy at Hornady told me to give the 180's and Alliant Reloader 16 a shot. To say I'm impressed with this combo would be an understatement! My node put me at 2724fps with the 180's! At this velocity the numbers are really impressive and can't wait to test them at some extended ranges.

The guys at WTO are great to talk to and more than willing to answer any questions you may have.

Neat concept thou not sure if they are improving shoulder
Not hard to do 708 AI die, 40' would be my choice
push shoulder back ala SLR
for sure better option cost wise than 7CM

Reactions: mpwolf
Just sent my action down to have WTO hang a Krieger 1:8.5 on with the .150 freebore. Been very interested in this chambering for awhile now but there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of end user reviews or info floating out there.

I planned on shooting the 162gr eld-m's. 2900 on those looks great but if I top out at 2800+ I think ill be happy. Too bad Berger isnt marking a 150-16x grain hybrid. That would be sweet.

Last edited:
Please post your results when possible , I'm contemplating a re-barrel with WTO on my FN SPR with a Proof Carbon barrel when funds allow it !
Thanks !

I am going to stick with loading the 180 Eld-m with reloader 16 at 2724fps. I gave the 162's and Varget a try and they shot really well but I ran into pressure before I could get enough velocity to out run the 180's. I am not sure if the Lapua Palma brass would have helped with pressure or not, but I just wanted to use the Hornady brass I had on hand. I may play with the 150 Eld-x at some point as I am told they can be pushed around 3000fps and possibly faster in the SAW.

I have only had a chance to take the 180's to 600 yards to date and using Hornady's new 4dof app, they were spot on and held under .5 moa. They hit the steel with authority!! Hopefully I will have an opportunity to take them further in the near future. I was shooting the 7mm SAW side by side with my 308 and the SAW definitely has less recoil.

As mentioned above it is essentially a 7SLR, simple pass through the die and your loading SAW ammo. I will look through my odds and ends brass bucket from comps and see if I have a piece of SLR brass to take a side by side pic.

Left to Right

6.5 Creed, 7mm SAW, 6 SLR

Attachments

• photo82094.jpg
    photo82094.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,936
Reactions: Evlshnngns
Interesting, they do seem very close in design. From my understanding from talking with WTO, the Lapua Brass with the small primer does handle more pressure than the large primer counterparts. Might also be able to get some more speed out of a different powder too, maybe H or IMR 4350 or Reloader 16/17.

Interested in those 150 ELD-X's now that you mention them as well, might give those a try too.

Wouldn't the 708ai offer more performance do to the increased case capacity? I can't argue any of the other benefits but the ai increases case capacity over the parent case where it looks like the saw would actually decrease capacity. Just curious how they are getting these stout velocity numbers over a plain Jane 708

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I would like to know also , I suspect it is the stout case head on the Palma brass and forgiveness of pressure ! either way I'd still appreciate first hand information on this cartridge before I sink any $$$$$ into one .
Thanks !

As has been stated give Clayton a call he will be more than happy to answer any questions you have, he put a 6.5SLR barrel on my gun and it hammers as well as a buddy’s. WTO are GTG

Just started playing with mine, very promising so far. Cases are easy to form, though a bit of a learning curve getting it right for the first couple as I zero other experience with necking anything down or wildcats in general. Working through fire-forming my first 200 cases and breaking in the barrel with 162gr ELD-Ms and 39gr Varget, getting about 2700 fps 1/2 moa 5 and 10 shot groups. Recoil between that load ,which is fairly mild for it, and myolder 6.5 CM are negligible.

After I get through these I'll do some work up with some Reloder 16, H4350, and maybe some IMR 4166 or Varget if I the first two somehow don't work well, see what it likes best. I see no reason why pushing the 162s up to the ~2850-2900 would be any issue.

I will add that Clayton and WTO crew are pretty awesome. I have zero previous experience with them but their customer service overall and ability to answer my dumb email questions and giving me some great pointers and details on how to form the brass with really quick responses was terrific.

Reactions: winniedonkey
I'm considering this round for hunting. Do you think 2700 is possible with 162 eldx and a 22" barrel?

Reactions: MOshooter
Mines 24" plus a silencer and gets there pretty easy. I'd think 2700s with a 22" shouldnt be out of question with the right load.

Did my first work up after a bit of break in with h4350, 162gr ELD-Ms and CCI 400 primers. 24" barrel with a silencer. I could have gone up another half grain but things were already getting pretty compressed. Nice little node at 46.3 though, need to try some varget or maybe reloder 16 soon and see if I can't get the velocities up a bit. 2800s not too shabby though.

Last edited:
I sent them a message yesterday, asking how I would go about having a 7 SAW spun up in a Proof CF for my AX. Seems to be a great option for a bit more down range energy out of a SA for hunting.

1000 ft lbs out to 800 or 900 out of a shorter barrel would be great for hunting for sure

Reactions: Covertnoob5
I sent them a message yesterday, asking how I would go about having a 7 SAW spun up in a Proof CF for my AX. Seems to be a great option for a bit more down range energy out of a SA for hunting.
Let us know what they say... 'cause this is the same thing I want to do for my AT.

Reactions: goneballistic

Anything ever happen with this in an AT/AX308?

This is the response I received from WTO:

You could go either way. We do rent out the 7 SAW reamers, and can easily send one to Proof so they could build your barrel. We don't currently offer AI prefits, but could certainly build you a barrel in house from a Proof blank as well. Our barrel installation cost is $350 including muzzle threading with a blind fit thread protector, or $375 if you want to install a shouldered brake that requires indexing. Current turnaround time is 90 days. Thanks!
Clayton Smith

West Texas Ordnance, Inc.
17801 N FM 2230
Ackerly, TX 79713
Sales: 432-312-6132
Gunsmith: 432-517-0592

Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2018 5:27 PM
To: [email protected]

I am not sure if I will go that route or not. My 6.5CM is shooting great and I think it would do just fine for hunting.

123 scenar 20” Proof 1:8 44.4 H4350 Peterson SRP brass CCI450 (no pressure signs at all)

One 3 shot group at 100 yards after an ocw

067852AA-EE0B-4931-8F7F-D974EA19061C.jpeg0565E57E-1E35-4ED1-83EE-AE40B483AB55.jpeg

Did my first work up after a bit of break in with h4350, 162gr ELD-Ms and CCI 400 primers. 24" barrel with a silencer. I could have gone up another half grain but things were already getting pretty compressed. Nice little node at 46.3 though, need to try some varget or maybe reloder 16 soon and see if I can't get the velocities up a bit. 2800s not too shabby though.

Are you planning on trying the 150 ELD-X at all? Just curious as to real world results compared to number crunching. Both seem GTG

That feel when you realize you put the wrong set of data in the spreadsheet, edited with the CORRECT velocities from the H4350 test. I need to test a few more hopefully this weekend, over the chrono and see what they do at longer range but 46.6gr of H4350 and a CCI400 average velocity of 2816 SD of 6 seems very promising.

I hadn't planned on doing much with the 150 ELD-X's, I caught a good deal on the 162s and snagged 600 or so I still need to work through. I wouldn't mind trying out the 150gr Scenars at some point though, even if the posted BC isn't as high I think , I've always just had good luck with Scenars.

Reactions: XTREM HTR16
I may have missed it but could you provide your twist rate , number of grooves and barrel manufacturer ?
Thanks !
I'd like to shoot the 168's or better .

Its a 24" Krieger 4 Groove, 8.5 twist. Does 160s and 180s fine.

Last edited:
Hi fellas, I have a 7SAW reamer and need to load a few dummy rounds to go with it when I send it off. I'll be using the ELD-Ms. For those of you using the ELD-M, what OAL have you loaded to? I remember reading 2.880" before but can't find the information again. The rifle I'm using is a Tikka CTR so there will be plenty of mag space at a max of 2.950".

Which type reamer? If youre doing the long throat ive had good results with a 2.945 coal on 162gr eldm's.

Reactions: mustang-cars