• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm short magnums.

Michael Glenn

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2022
Boyers USA
While there are many 7mm short mags to choose from, Id like to point out and discuss a few that are worth looking into.
The three I'm comparing are; 7RSAUM the 7WSM and the 7SS (Sherman short) This basically is an on paper head to head battle for those looking into building or buying a hunting/ Long range precision rifle in any of these calibers.
All calibers mentioned will be compared using 180gr factory ammo with the exception of the Sherman wildcat using data from their website, there will not be any load data posted for liability reasons, velocity as advertised will be compared, all rifles and loads are different.

I'm not at all a subject matter expert, and there are many calibers to choose from, what I'm hoping to achieve is shortening the "shopping phase" for anyone getting into the market or undecided on this subject, and if this takes off I'll start posting articles on other calibers in "head to head" comparisons.

For starters the 7mm Remington Short Action Ultra Mag (RSAUM)
Remington introduced the 7Saum in 2002 to compete with the 7WSM (Winchester short magnum) and was intended for long rage use, the differences between the two cartridges as far as velocity differs by barely 50FPS with both calibers achieving optimal balistic ranges with 120-160gr bullets. Remington was a day late and a dollar short with this cartridge, resulting in the 7WSM being more popular with more options from the factory and reloading supplies becoming more available faster and cheaper this resulted in the 7SAUM becoming the more costly cartridge as of mid 2014 with the lower demand for factory ammunition. The 7 SAUM is a popular cartridge in F-class competitions and holds many records in this discipline, the 7SAUM is also a popular choice with long range shooting competitions inside the 1200 yard range but with experiments in hand-loading can be taken out further.

The 7 SAUM is a .532 bolt face rimless bottleneck cartridge that with load development and tuning can easily handle 180gr bullets at velocities around 2,850fps and still have room in the magazine without exceeding the maximum COAL. The biggest cons to the 7RSAUM are factory availability and price per round, while the pros are that with some tweaking you can get it to run heavy for caliber bullets with little to no issues and once you can find the components to reload its fairly easy to reload for.

Next we have the 7mm Winchester Short magnum (WSM)
As stated in the previous paragraph the 7wsm was released prior to the 7RSAUM in 2001 in a partnership with Browning arms company, of the original WSM family it was the least popular due to the shorter case neck making it difficult to load heavy for caliber bullets making it less suitable for large game, cost was another downfall for the 7WSM being that the 7RUM and 280 Rem had already gained a foothold ahead of it the 280 having a touch less muzzle velocity and the 7mag being about equal.

The 7WSM is a .532 bolt face bottle necked cartridge that serves its purpose for large game like Mule deer, Elk, Black bear ect, but prefers the shorter lighter bullets due to case design however it is capable of launching a 180gr bullet at velocities around 2,850fps like its Remington rival, but comes in much more cost effective at $40-60 lower in cost to the 7Saum per box of 20 rounds. The 7WSM also is more available with factory ammunition being found online and in some local stores where the 7SAUM is difficult to find even online.

And last but certainly not least the 7mm Sherman Short.
The 7SS was designed by Richard Sherman as a laser shooting 7mm short magnum with as much as 10 grains more of case capacity than its factory competition, the neck is lengthened and a 40 degree shoulder is formed while maintaining the same COAL with the 7SAUM at 1.920. The 7SS boast its ability to shoot 180gr bullets at velocities of 3,000fps and even sending the 195 EOL bullets at velocities over 2,900FPS. The biggest drawback to the 7SS is that while and incredible round it is a wild cat, with reloading components such as brass and dies only being available from ADG for brass and Hornady for dies both can be purchased from the Sherman wildcats website. The Sherman family of cartridges are fairly new to the market but hold impressive records in F-class and long range competitions competing with the best of them.
The 7SS is a .532 bolt face bottleneck cartridge that boast a tremendous ability to handle heavy for caliber bullets and handle them well with the cons being extremely limited components for it and a heavy price tag for brass/dies along with the only source for load data being published on their website in an "experimental" list
Published load data for the 7SS can also be found on the Sherman wildcat website and the discussion forums to see realistic results from those experimenting with the Sherman wildcat family.

Hope that assists in some way or another I did not get as deep into a comparison as I would've liked to but hopefully I've been able to assist in the decision making process....Thank You to all who took the time to read!

Last edited:
I’ve known Rich Sherman since about 2008 from over on LRH. He’s a good dude, and his wildcats are legit. I’d go 7mm SS, or, if you want simple and less specialized, you could go with a 7mm-6.5 PRC, and just buy 6.5 PRC bushing dies, and a proper sized bushing and 6.5 PRC brass.

While there are many 7mm short mags to choose from, Id like to point out and discuss a few that are worth looking into.
The three I'm comparing are; 7RSAUM the 7WSM and the 7SS (Sherman short) This basically is an on paper head to head battle for those looking into building or buying a hunting/ Long range precision rifle in any of these calibers.
All calibers mentioned will be compared using 180gr factory ammo with the exception of the Sherman wildcat using data from their website, there will not be any load data posted for liability reasons, velocity as advertised will be compared, all rifles and loads are different.

I'm not at all a subject matter expert, and there are many calibers to choose from, what I'm hoping to achieve is shortening the "shopping phase" for anyone getting into the market or undecided on this subject, and if this takes off I'll start posting articles on other calibers in "head to head" comparisons.

For starters the 7mm Remington Short Action Ultra Mag (RSAUM)
Remington introduced the 7Saum in 2002 to compete with the 7WSM (Winchester short magnum) and was intended for long rage use, the differences between the two cartridges as far as velocity differs by barely 50FPS with both calibers achieving optimal balistic ranges with 120-160gr bullets. Remington was a day late and a dollar short with this cartridge, resulting in the 7WSM being more popular with more options from the factory and reloading supplies becoming more available faster and cheaper this resulted in the 7SAUM becoming the more costly cartridge as of mid 2014 with the lower demand for factory ammunition. The 7 SAUM is a popular cartridge in F-class competitions and holds many records in this discipline, the 7SAUM is also a popular choice with long range shooting competitions inside the 1200 yard range but with experiments in hand-loading can be taken out further.

The 7 SAUM is a .532 bolt face rimless bottleneck cartridge that with load development and tuning can easily handle 180gr bullets at velocities around 2,850fps and still have room in the magazine without exceeding the maximum COAL. The biggest cons to the 7RSAUM are factory availability and price per round, while the pros are that with some tweaking you can get it to run heavy for caliber bullets with little to no issues and once you can find the components to reload its fairly easy to reload for.

Next we have the 7mm Winchester Short magnum (WSM)
As stated in the previous paragraph the 7wsm was released prior to the 7RSAUM in 2001 in a partnership with Browning arms company, of the original WSM family it was the least popular due to the shorter case neck making it difficult to load heavy for caliber bullets making it less suitable for large game, cost was another downfall for the 7WSM being that the 7RUM and 280 Rem had already gained a foothold ahead of it the 280 having a touch less muzzle velocity and the 7mag being about equal.

The 7WSM is a .532 bolt face bottle necked cartridge that serves its purpose for large game like Mule deer, Elk, Black bear ect, but prefers the shorter lighter bullets due to case design however it is capable of launching a 180gr bullet at velocities around 2,850fps like its Remington rival, but comes in much more cost effective at $40-60 lower in cost to the 7Saum per box of 20 rounds. The 7WSM also is more available with factory ammunition being found online and in some local stores where the 7SAUM is difficult to find even online.

And last but certainly not least the 7mm Sherman Short.
The 7SS was designed by Richard Sherman as a laser shooting 7mm short magnum with as much as 10 grains more of case capacity than its factory competition, the neck is lengthened and a 40 degree shoulder is formed while maintaining the same COAL with the 7SAUM at 1.920. The 7SS boast its ability to shoot 180gr bullets at velocities of 3,000fps and even sending the 195 EOL bullets at velocities over 2,900FPS. The biggest drawback to the 7SS is that while and incredible round it is a wild cat, with reloading components such as brass and dies only being available from ADG for brass and Hornady for dies both can be purchased from the Sherman wildcats website. The Sherman family of cartridges are fairly new to the market but hold impressive records in F-class and long range competitions competing with the best of them.
The 7SS is a .532 bolt face bottleneck cartridge that boast a tremendous ability to handle heavy for caliber bullets and handle them well with the cons being extremely limited components for it and a heavy price tag for brass/dies along with the only source for load data being published on their website in an "experimental" list
Published load data for the 7SS can also be found on the Sherman wildcat website and the discussion forums to see realistic results from those experimenting with the Sherman wildcat family.

Hope that assists in some way or another I did not get as deep into a comparison as I would've liked to but hopefully I've been able to assist in the decision making process....Thank You to all who took the time to read!
Thx for the ad Wolf. I'd like to make a correction and comment. The case capacity on the SS is only 72 grains with the new /B chamber which is about a grain less than the saum and maybe 9-10 short of the wsm depending on brass.
Also, if handloaded, the saum will come pretty close to SS velocity if loaded in a long action and the wsm will beat it by 100' likely. The best quality of the SS IMO, is the case design. It allows full performance in a short action and the short burn column is a little more efficient. It has a better neck and the low body taper reduces bolt thrust and handles pressure better. Also the 40 degree shoulder and longer neck help reduce throat erosion, IMO, and reduce case stretching.

I think that the prc brass will be available for a very long time. If the 6/5/7 doesn't have quite enough speed the 7FCP designed by F-class products out of AZ will get you to the 2920-2980fps (30" tube) with the 180 class of bullet. Not as fast as the wism or sherman but quite formidable. It and the straight 6.5/7prc have proven to be world class accurate.

I don’t see any component of the 7 short actions being cheap, at least not for quality components.

I think it depends on what you want to do. If you like to tinker and play around with different calibers then it doesn’t really matter cause you’ll probably change anyways down the road.

If you want the most options for pre fits and components then 7SAUM probably makes the most sense.

7SS seems to take the short action 7 magnum idea and essentially make it as close to the best efficiency without giving up the true short action length. For my purposes it makes the most sense. I want maximum performance in strictly a short action. I’d prefer to keep barrel life as good as possible and I hate trimming cases lol.

I'm setup for 7SS just haven't had a barrel spun up yet. Making mock up rounds with 180gr and 190gr rounds was impressive to see how well they fit in a short action. I don't plan on pushing it hard, I'll be happy with medium pressures. If I need more performance I'll bring my 300NM.

I don't like rounds where I feel I'm fighting mag length constantly. Plus brass was easily available, those are my main reasons for starting down the 7SS path.

180 in a 7-6.5prc loaded to 2.950. Just shy of 2800 from a 22” barrel
1F6DA431-3F09-481B-9A3D-41A383B96CE4.jpeg

Geno has his turned.

I know him quite well, so figure there is a good reason, though I haven't asked him about it.

Another reason I’m going 7SS. I also don’t shoot out multiple barrels in 7 so the extra cost of brass isn’t a problem to me as it’s not a volume rifle. Seems like the perfect niche filler for my needs.

I’m only turning necks because I got a reamer that needed it. I would spec .320” neck diameter and a .535 base if I were to design the reamer

Reactions: powdahound76
The 7-6.5 PRC needs neck turned. Especially in a short action.

With all reamers?

Due to donut that will form and where the bullet sits or what?

Details to support a statement helps people understand.
Seems most LR shooters are details people.

He specifically said his specific reamer requires it.
So unlikely he would try, a wise man could deduce.

And then stated that not all do.

Reactions: northern50
It's not about Wall thickness. It's the doughnut from the shoulder becoming neck material. Not sure how you'd figure a chamber would fix that.

I did a skim pass on my brass and it clearly cut a doughnut off.

It's not about Wall thickness. It's the doughnut from the shoulder becoming neck material. Not sure how you'd figure a chamber would fix that.

If there’s clearance and you’re not seating below the donut, then it’s like it’s not even there

Reactions: cornhusker86
component availability is my biggest concern when selecting a new cartridge to go with. Perhaps the 6.5 PRC will be the exception, but there just doesn't seem to be widespread adoption of short magnum cartridges.

Reactions: FredHammer
component availability is my biggest concern when selecting a new cartridge to go with. Perhaps the 6.5 PRC will be the exception, but there just doesn't seem to be widespread adoption of short magnum cartridges.

That would be silly considering you wouldn’t get the bolt closed
That's why I asked. You're going to have donuts after the first firing. You won't see them in initially necking up. It will take a firing. So if you haven't fired any yet or you've been neck turning for another reason, then you probably don't realize that you do have to neck turn in a short action because you will have donuts. Regardless of the neck clearance of the chamber.

Still wrong. A donut that isn’t restricted by chamber neck diameter and is allowed to fully release the bullet isn’t a problem at all.

Still wrong. A donut that isn’t restricted by chamber neck diameter and is allowed to fully release the bullet isn’t a problem at all.
Am I? Maybe it's just the angle of the photo but at the longest possible COAL you're still in the donut area.
1000005528.jpg

Reactions: Jackomason
Boxed into a narrow seating depth margin on one side by the mag and the other by a donut. Sounds like a great setup. Hope your barrel happens to like that seating depth and you don't need to tune accuracy.

You can be seated past the donut and it has no effect on target if the chamber neck is large enough to allow a clean release

Reactions: 907Lapua
Boxed into a narrow seating depth margin on one side by the mag and the other by a donut. Sounds like a great setup. Hope your barrel happens to like that seating depth and you don't need to tune accuracy.
Must have missed where my necks are turned because of a tight neck chamber

Funny I’ve been shooting my 7wsm all summer with 190 atips seated to mag length in a short action. No doughnuts, no neck turning, bertram brass with no weight sorting. Must be defying physics over here….

Yeah, but yer like brand new to this whole shooting thing and its just beginners luck!

Wait till you have actually shot a lot, like at a world championship or work in the industry.
Until then, yer just a poser and likely just lucky and lack knowledge and skill.

So there! 😁

7 WSM is the best of the bunch in a short action, brass definitely being the limiting factor. Love me some 7 WSM.

It’s always seemed oxymoronic to run a short action cartridge in a long action just for bullet seating length IMHO.

The 7-6.5 PRC is interesting but the new 7 PRC is going to bury the others performance wise and with Peterson and ADG on board the deal is probably sealed.

Why do you say that?
Base performance without having to do a bunch of extras to get it there. Yes you can outperform it by going long action a la 7 SAUM but then you could just do the same to the WSM..... Factory style reamer out of a standard SAAMI chamber, I like the WSM. Brass offerings for the 7 WSM are the weak link but its useable. If you're going to push performance, you end up in a long action and then your best choice is the 7 PRC.

Base performance without having to do a bunch of extras to get it there. Yes you can outperform it by going long action a la 7 SAUM but then you could just do the same to the WSM..... Factory style reamer out of a standard SAAMI chamber, I like the WSM. Brass offerings for the 7 WSM are the weak link but its useable. If you're going to push performance, you end up in a long action and then your best choice is the 7 PRC.
I've been shooting a wsm for about 12 years. Luckily I have about 600 pieces of virgin Winchester brass that I haven't even dug into yet. But I do shoot it in a long action. I considered building a seven PRC, but when you look at the velocities you're talking about a difference of about 50 - 100 feet per second. Just wasn't worth it in my opinion. If I was starting out fresh I would do the PRC.

I would say the best short action 7 mm magnum in my opinion would be a 7 SST. But you will probably have to inside neck ream the brass because you have to mandrel 6.5 SST brass up to 7 mm. So then you're going to be dealing with donuts again after the first firing. Assuming you're smart enough to spec your reamer so you don't already have to neck turn anyway.

As far as calling a 7 WSM short action cartridge, I guess technically you're right. But it it's also like calling the 284W a short action cartridge.

Reactions: Long Range 338
I would say the best short action 7 mm magnum in my opinion would be a 7 SST. But you will probably have to inside neck ream the brass because you have to mandrel 6.5 SST brass up to 7 mm. So then you're going to be dealing with donuts again after the first firing. Assuming you're smart enough to spec your reamer so you don't already have to neck turn anyway.

Why not just the straight 7SS?

Brass is in stock on their website. Unless I’m missing something but I haven’t heard anyone complain who shoots a 7SS.

PVA and Preferred Barrels both make pre fits

Why not just the straight 7SS?

Brass is in stock on their website. Unless I’m missing something but I haven’t heard anyone complain who shoots a 7SS.

PVA and Preferred Barrels both make pre fits
Same reason I shoot a 6.5 SST instead of a 6.5 SS. It is a shorter case so you can seat bullets farther out in the neck and not be up against the front of your magazine.

I've been shooting a wsm for about 12 years. Luckily I have about 600 pieces of virgin Winchester brass that I haven't even dug into yet. But I do shoot it in a long action. I considered building a seven PRC, but when you look at the velocities you're talking about a difference of about 50 - 100 feet per second. Just wasn't worth it in my opinion. If I was starting out fresh I would do the PRC.

As far as calling a 7 WSM short action cartridge, I guess technically you're right. But it it's also like calling the 284W a short action cartridge.
Shooting a 7wsm in a long action is some monkey pox shit. Why shoot a short action case in a long action instead of a long action case ?

Shooting a 7wsm in a long action is some monkey pox shit. Why shoot a short action case in a long action instead of a long action case ?
Because it's not actually a short action cartridge. It was a short action cartridge in 2003 when it was loaded with 130 grain bullets. My case overall length with 180 grain bullets is 3.150. Stuffing that bullet 200 thou deeper into the case is the monkey pox shit. That's when the fact that it's a 7 wsm doesn't matter anymore. You just start eating up that case capacity with bullet and the difference between a short action SAUM and a short action WSM is negligible. And I know you know this, which is why you are trying to do a 7-6.5 PRC. You're just salty you let yourself get boxed into saying something stupid.

• Haha
Reactions: Geno C.
Aren't we all salty?

I really love making the most of an existing short action and I don't see a huge gain in the standard long action calibers over what you can stuff in a short action (though, there is a gain).

With this in mind, If I'm going to choose a long action then I'll choose a long action caliber. So, Why choose a 7 WSM over any other 7mm that would require a long action?

This is the reason I'm building a 300 Norma mag... I'm really quite happy with the 7-6.5 PRC for my needs.

Reactions: 907Lapua
I’m not salty at all. If I had a long action, I should wouldn’t neuter it with a small case. The only way a wsm makes sense is a short action. The 7wsm makes the most use out of a short action 7mm.

Long action, there are so many better cases out there. The new thought that you have to have all the bullet hanging out of the case mouth is dumb.

I mean not the most use out of a short action 7mm😏 a Norma shorted and necked down is about the most use