• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm Target / Hunting Rifle, Bullets, and Cutting weight

JBM_DC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2011
OKC, OK
www.facebook.com
So I just received my Sako TRG 42 back from the smith with a new Rock Creek 7 Twist 7mm Remington Magnum barrel. (I will try and get pictures uploaded as soon as I can.)

Right now I am looking at a few bullet options that will double for hunting and target work to practice out to about 2000 yards. I am looking at 180 class bullets such as the Berger Hybrid / VLD, Hornady ELD-M and Sierra 180 / 183 SMK. Has anyone used the Hornady or Sierra bullets for hunting out to about 700 yards?

The rifle came in a bit heavier than I hoped for, and I may have to look at other options to lighten it up a bit. Where would you guys cut the weight? The obvious places I see are the folding stock, scope, bipod and adapter, but not exactly sure where to start or even what scope to move to while still being able to play at ELR distances.

Rifle Specs:
Sako TRG 42
NEAR 45 MOA Rail
KRG folding stock and spiggot
Atlas Bipod
5-25F1 Tremor3
Rock Creek 1:7.5 27" 7 Rem Mag
Benchmark 1:8 27" 338 RUM
SAS Arbiter

ETA: Pic and that this is a 7mm Rem Mag / 338 RUM switch barrel setup. I will try to upload a better pic when I can make time to use a real camera.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i57.photobucket.com\/albums\/g211\/jared87\/3D68297D-A59C-4AE6-8FEE-608CE0A89F45_zpsh25buslz.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
If you're not stuck on the 180 class, there is the Berger 195 EOL made for LR hunting. Very high BC on it too.

ETA: missed the twist rate, I see 1:7 now.

If you're not stuck on the 180 class, there is the Berger 195 EOL made for LR hunting. Very high BC on it too.

ETA: missed the twist rate, I see 1:7 now.

I would like to try the 195, but not sure I can push them fast enough to out do the 180s. I will be trying RL 33 to start with so maybe that powder can do it?

I used to have a TRG42 with a 8 twist 27" benchmark chambered in 7 mag. Main load was 176 Cauterucio's going 3040 fps with Retumbo. Barrel contour wasn't much different than the factory so I thought the rifle would have been fine for hunting but a bit light otherwise.

At a mile it did fine but no so well past that with those bullets.

180 hybrids work great for me in my 7 SAUM, but I don't shoot 2000 yards. It's primarily a hunting rifle and our local range has steel to 1100 . 180's cover all of my needs .