• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm twist rate

longbow308

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2008
Louisiana
Hi

I am going to build on my 7mm mag.
I will go with 168 gr. bergers VLD'S
what twist would ya'll say go with.
And has anyone ever built a 7 wsm
on a mag L/A.OR would it be any better.

Thanks

Re: 7mm twist rate

have you thought about using the search function and putting in "7wsm"???

Thanks,
i was thinking 1/8.5 or 1/9.
Didn't find anything in search function
that i could use.

i went with a 1-8 for my rem short 7 mag . i wanted the option to shoot thte 180s .it shoots the hornady 162s and berger 168s great . havent tried the 180s yet , but like having the option .

1-9" or if you find a 1-8.5" is good for those bullets. On the offhand chance that you may buy some custom bullets in the 190 gr. ULD range. Then a 1-8" or at least 1-8.5". Wildcat makes those. The original owner, Richard Graves, sold his operation to a guy in Elko, NV. Who for whatever reason has yet to get his website up and running so as to sell some bullets. I had some frustration loading these and what I came to figure out was that even with somewhat light bullets for caliber they are hard to stabilize and therefore hard to make accurate. When I bumped back down to his 115's in .257 cal my 1-10 stabilized them. Jumping back up to 7mm, if you want to stabilize the super-heavy bullets a 1-8" is for sure a 1-8.5" will most likely work for a 190 ULD.

Thanks for the info fellows.

the 168 to 180 range is what i'll be shooting.
i hope one of those will get me to 1500 yds.
that is my intention's.i'll go with a 7 wsm.
i have two 7mm mag.i might even try a 300wsm.
but one will be a 7mm 8.5 twist. thanks everyone

I really wanted to shoot Berger 168's or Berger 180's in my 1-9 twist 7mmRM. Interestingly though, my gun loves Sierra 168 SMK's, 70.7gr H1000, GM210M primers, necks turned to .120" and 2.7875" OAL with Stoney Point comparator. Of course your throat is probably different but I am about .015" off the lands. I'm still testing the Bergers though.

I recommend 1/9 twist for a 7mmRM but I shoot a 7mmSTW and 180gr Bergers with a 1/8.5 twist at 3000fps very accurately.

Next time I replace the barrel, I will switch to a 7mmWSM.

Regards.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thelubiaks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really wanted to shoot Berger 168's or Berger 180's in my 1-9 twist 7mmRM. Interestingly though, my gun loves Sierra 168 SMK's, 70.7gr H1000, GM210M primers, necks turned to .120" and 2.7875" OAL with Stoney Point comparator. Of course your throat is probably different but I am about .015" off the lands. I'm still testing the Bergers though.

I recommend 1/9 twist for a 7mmRM but I shoot a 7mmSTW and 180gr Bergers with a 1/8.5 twist at 3000fps very accurately.

Next time I replace the barrel, I will switch to a 7mmWSM.

Regards.
grin.gif
</div></div>

Run those Bergers into the lands. .010" or .015" That's the best way to make them work. I did the same thing with one of my rifles. I started jamming them .015" into the lands and that worked great. That's one of the reasons VLD's don't alway work so well in magazine systems. They have to be loaded short. Many cases not all. In my AR-30 there was plenty of room in the mag to get 210's into the lands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wildcat Bullets</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bullets
I'm happy to announce that we are taking orders for our 7mm 200 grain bullets. That's the only bullet we'll be producing until we can keep up with the demand for it. If we can't make them fast enough, we'll buy equipment and hire people to increase our production capacity. Once we can keep up with the demand, we'll re-introduce another bullet. We'll continue this cycle until we we've re-introduced most of Richard Grave's (original owner) bullet lineup. We are doing this to ensure the continued availability of a bullet once it's released.

Price increase.
We've increased the price of the 7mm 200 grain bullets to $38.50/50. This is a big increase that I feel deserves an explanation. Given the rate at which we can produce these bullets, our overhead, and the increasing cost of materials, we simply wouldn't be able to keep our doors open selling them at the prices that Richard was charging. Please realize that in order to make these bullets available long term, they'll have to be profitable. With this in mind, we had no choice but to increase the prices. Even with the increase, we are on the low to middle end of the cost spectrum for custom bullets and are priced about the same as or less than a few mass produced bullets such as A-frames, Partitions and Triple Shocks. We feel that the new prices are appropriate for today's market given that our bullets are field proven, custom made, and include the heaviest and highest BC's hunting bullets available for most calibers.

New Website
We have a new web address: www.wildcatbullets.com. The site will be up very soon. Once it's up, you'll be able to order online.

How to order now
Until we get our website up, just email me at [email protected]. You can always order this way even after our e-commerce site is up.

Thanks,
Paul</div></div>

Here's a C&P from LRH.

All you have to do is send him an email. He's been selling them since August. Enough that he's already moving into a larger manufacturing facility. He hopes to start adding more weights and calibers as soon as BATFE approves his move.

FYI, the published BC's on the 168 Bergers are lower than the 162 Amaxes, and you can run the Amaxes a little faster, so it's flatter overall.

If you get the chance to look at 180 JLK's you'd probably love them. The BC is out of this world for a 7mm bullet.

With all the powder capacity in the 7 Mag you should be able to get them over 3100 fps, it'd be a laser with .7+ BC's and that kind of muzzle velocity.

I'm having a 7mm rem mag built right now and 1:9 will be very happy with the 160 up to 180 without any issue

I have a 1:9.25 and it is marginal with 175's depending on length of the bullet. I
would say 1:9 is the ideal but bullets keep getting longer.

My 7 WSM has a 25" 8.5 and it loves the 180 VLDs at 2970 fps I've hit 18" plates at the mile mark.

I love the 7s