• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 7mm WSM barrel problem

jetlyting

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2007
Weatherford,Texas
Got a custom build back, 7mm WSM, Krieger MTU, surgeon action. I shot it , reloaded by neck sizing only, shot some more, then sent the brass to Warner Tool so he can make me a custom insert for my warner die. He said that it definitely was not a standard 7 WSM chambering after carefully measuring the shoulder angle on the twice fired cases I sent him. Should I just bump the shoulder with a FL die and keep shooting it? I wonder if this will overwork my brass? Do I need to just shut up and shoot it anyway? Thanks ya'll

Re: 7mm WSM barrel problem

I have never had good luck neck sizing my WSM brass. I just FL size it and it always works great.

I have a 7mm/300wsm and all I do is neck size. I am up to 7 times fired brass so far. Keep neck sizing unless you start having problems.

I FL everything, every time, from my 6BR to my 7-300wsm. I try to just bump the shoulder .0015" using a gauge I made to measure with. If the brass feeds fine neck sizing is fine but, I've found for consistent feeding and bolt closure, FL sizing is required. YMMV