• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm WSM long action vs 7mm RUM

sideshowbob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2007
in, USA
I am in the process of designing a rifle for use in hunting as well as long range tactical matches. But, the primary use will be for hunting. A tactical hunting rifle.

I settled on 7mm WSM for the caliber, shooting 180 grn Bergers. However, my gunsmith highly recommends that I go with a long action to fully take advantage of the 180 grn Berger bullet. If I go with the long action, then I might as well go with a suitable long action 7mm cartridge. The 7mm Remington Ultra Mag comes to mind. I don't want the standard 7mm Remington mag or even a STW.

What are your thoughts? I would like to still go with a 7mm WSM in a long action, but how do I justify it in light of a 7mm RUM in a long action? Help.

Re: 7mm WSM long action vs 7mm RUM

Is your smith just trying to have you accomodate his reamer selection? You should be able to get away with having the chamber cut with a short throat, enabling you to feed the 180 VLD's from a magazine shouldnt you? If you already have a short action for this build, buying yourself a finish reamer with the demensions you want from PTG for the throat would be a good investment.

I have a 7wsm on a SA Stiller Predator with Seekins DBM. The ejection port is elongated a little and the DBM will accept a 3.15 COAL. The ejection port modification could be done to your action and the bottom metal could be purchased to make an awesome set up.

Look here

LR WSM does have a very nice 7 WSM

A short action or long action will work fine. But diffrent strokes for diffrent folks

if you want a short action go for it.

A long action is best for the big 180 grain bullets so you can get the bullet seated on out where it needs to be. Meaning up out of the powder column. This will give you more case capacity but it will take slightly more powder to reach the velocity/ pressure of a 7 WSM in a short action. That being said I have seen way more 7 WSMs built on short actions than long and they have all shot lights out.

La Precision and APA are 2 smiths that reccomend a long action
GAP has a great short action reamer.

But most smiths will chamber the round exactly how you want it.

Me personnaly. I would get what you want deep down. They both work

as for going bigger than 7 WSM in a long action for a tactical rifle. Why??

You don't need to have a huge magnum to kill animals and you may want to consider barrel life, component cost, and recoil for both hunting and tactical shooting

I am having a 7 Wissim built in a couple monthes. I'm going long action. Why??? Because I'm going to listen to what my smith reccomends. He has built and shot way more Wissims than I have. I trust him!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sideshowbob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am in the process of designing a rifle for use in hunting as well as long range tactical matches. But, the primary use will be for hunting. A tactical hunting rifle.

I settled on 7mm WSM for the caliber, shooting 180 grn Bergers. However, my gunsmith highly recommends that I go with a long action to fully take advantage of the 180 grn Berger bullet.

What are your thoughts? I would like to still go with a 7mm WSM in a long action, but how do I justify it in light of a 7mm RUM in a long action? Help. </div></div>

Bob,

I'd build it in a LA so you can run the freebore out where it needs to be, .180" minimum will work for 168/180's just fine. I'd run the Surgeon LA DBM with 338LM magazines and let it eat. As for your caliber choice, I'd opt 7-300 WSM or the 7SAUM over the 7 WSM for two reasons.

#1 Less powder will equal same results, 2,900+ fps with ease
#2 Much better brass is available since Norma has 300 WSM and 300 SAUM brass

I run a 7-300 WSM right now in a LA with 180 Bergers and an internal box, no problems. When the barrel goes south I'll either leave it as a 7-300 WSM or change it to the 7 SAUM for the reasons I listed above.

I noticed you were from NY.

When I was in the Walmart in Pembroke Ontario last week on a fishing trip, they had: .243, .30-30, .308, .30-06, .270 Win. 7mm RM, .300 WSM, .300 Win mag but no 7mm WSM. Availability of ammunition on a trip may be a consideration for a hunting rifle. May places in the boondocks do not have much of a selection beyond 'common' calibers. Selection of ammunition in gas station - general store I visited in Quebec is about the same.

Good luck

Jerry

I went through this same dilema about 6 months ago. I have an STW and it is by far my favorite round to hunt with, but it's way too much for tactical matches and you cannot have a repeater with the 180's.
I settled on the 7 RSAUM on a long action. My reamer was throated for the 180's and I'm using surgeon bottom metal (300 WM not 338). I am pushing the 180's at 2900. I got them up to 3050, but they didnt shoot as well as 2900. I cant see the WSM doing much better than that with more powder.
As far as the 7 RUM and tactical matches, good luck. It's like the STW, awesome round for hunting but when you start rackin em back, you will need a new barrel after 500 rounds if not sooner.