• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm wsm Owners?

CarbonOne

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2010
Utah
So, I'm having a tough time making up my mind on a new longrange hunting rifle. I'll admit I'm probably making things more difficult than they really are. I have a safe full of rifles from 17hmr on up to 338rum.

I think I'm getting it narrowed down to gap nontypical in 7mm wsm, 300 wsm, or 300 rum.

Gun will be used mainly on game out west. Shots average 200-700 yards, but I want enough gun for elk out to 1000 or so.

One concern with the 7mm wsm is I kind of feel like I'll be limiting myself to one bullet and load-the 180 Berger. Which isn't really a huge deal as I'll need one load dialed in for a custom turret.

What say you? What are the pros and cons of the 7mm wsm?

Re: 7mm wsm Owners?

Don't know about the 7wsm at 1k for elk ......... But I wouldn't get any special turrets made. Make yourself a set of DA cards so that no matter what the temp, station pressure and humidity combination are on that day, you will know your dope.

Good luck and hope you get a shot at a big bull.

i own 2 7mm wsms. i have shot 160 accubonds and 180 bergers out of mine. they both perform extremely well. when i go hunting i carry a wsm. 2 years ago a buddy of mine and i went shooting with my 7mm wsm and his 7mm-300 wsm. we shot them out to 1917 yards with decent success. theres a write up and photos on longrange hunting. go with the 7mm wsm. i have built all of mine on long actions so i can utilize the long berger bullets.

160 accubonds at 3000+fps are great for elk! or 175 TSX, 150TSX at 3250 fps, etc, etc....

For elk I'd rather have something in the 30cal family. I own a 7mmRM, and I know people have shot and killed more than I'll ever see with 7mm's but I think more energy is better.

This article says to take Enough Gun. I agreed before I read it, still do.

That said, your initial post says you've got a number of chamberings to choose from I'd say get the 7wsm and enjoy it.