• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm WSM Resource List?

TAC READY

Private
Minuteman
I'm hoping someone might have a list of links to discussion threads related to the 7mm WSM rifles that seem to be quite popular. I'm just starting the research phase of potentially ordering up one of these rifles but the search engine seems a bit challenged for finding topics that might be on point.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Best,
David

Re: 7mm WSM Resource List?

I am looking to find conversations where topics like best action to build off, barrel twist and length options, brass, bullets and the rest are discussed and debated.

Thanks,
David

Best action? Open for debate
Barrel twist? 9-8 twist for the heavies, length are going to vary from 22-28". 26 seems to be the most popular
Brass? Only Winchester makes 7WSM brass. You can do WSM variants that will give you more options
Bulllets? The 180gr Bergers seem to be the standard. Others have had good luck with the Sierras, JLKs and Hornady too. Pick one that shoots best in your rifle. Mine won't shoot the Hornady worth a shit.

You can also neck up Norma 270 WSM and use it instead of the crappy Winchester brass<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best action? Open for debate
Barrel twist? 9-8 twist for the heavies, length are going to vary from 22-28". 26 seems to be the most popular
Brass? Only Winchester makes 7WSM brass. You can do WSM variants that will give you more options
Bulllets? The 180gr Bergers seem to be the standard. Others have had good luck with the Sierras, JLKs and Hornady too. Pick one that shoots best in your rifle. Mine won't shoot the Hornady worth a shit.</div></div>

best action, IMHO the Surgeon WSM action, either round or 1 piece, your pick.

Barrel Length, I went with 28" so I can have some room for set backs in the future when i burn out the throat.

Brass, well if you dont want to neck up or neck down, Winchester is the only game in town. But if you are ok with necking up/down and fireforming, then Norma cant be beat.

Heres specs on my 7Wizzer, for conversation...

Action: Surgeon WSM 1pc.
Barrel: 24" Broughton 5C, #7 contour, fluted, 1:9". Thruster brake
Stock: McM A5 Edge w/ Wyatt's extended mag box (2+1 capacity)
Badger M4 bottom metal

Bullets: 162gr AMAX or 180 VLDs. The 9 twist spins them both at darn near sea level & I can touch lands from the belly with either. Have yet to try the 168VLDs since those AMAXs fly so well at ~2980fps

Brass: Winny, as I can't find anything to complain about? I FL size & fully prep before loading...

This rifle is a friggin' hammer...
7Wizzer011.jpg

I think you'll easily find some love for the 7Wizzer too. Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">best action, IMHO the Surgeon WSM action, either round or 1 piece, your pick.

Barrel Length, I went with 28" so I can have some room for set backs in the future when i burn out the throat.

Brass, well if you dont want to neck up or neck down, Winchester is the only game in town. But if you are ok with necking up/down and fireforming, then Norma cant be beat. </div></div>

Thanks,

I was already leaning towards the Surgeon offering. With regards to burning out the throat, have you done that yet, have you run into the barrel life threshold yet?

On brass, I don't really want to turn necks so from the article posted above it looks like necking down the 300 WSM might be a good route for me to take.

Thanks,
David

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knockemdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heres specs on my 7Wizzer, for conversation...

Action: Surgeon WSM 1pc.
Barrel: 24" Broughton 5C, #7 contour, fluted, 1:9". Thruster brake
Stock: McM A5 Edge w/ Wyatt's extended mag box (2+1 capacity)
Badger M4 bottom metal

Bullets: 162gr AMAX or 180 VLDs. The 9 twist spins them both at darn near sea level & I can touch lands from the belly with either. Have yet to try the 168VLDs since those AMAXs fly so well at ~2980fps

Brass: Winny, as I can't find anything to complain about? I FL size & fully prep before loading...

This rifle is a friggin' hammer...
7Wizzer011.jpg

I think you'll easily find some love for the 7Wizzer too. Good luck!

</div></div>

Wow, nice rifle! It looks very similar to what I have been considering (all OD) with only a few different details.

Have you had a chance to stretch its legs at distances past 1k?

David

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFC Carpentier jr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">David, give Jacob a call at RO. He will help you out. </div></div>

Yeah, he's the root of my new problem....got me started down this road. :)

Hoping to edumacate myself a little bit so my next conversation with him can be a little more productive.

Wished I could have joined you guys at the Bash this year, looks like another great time in TX.

David.

Thank you! No sir, not much over 1K. Truth be told, I'm lucky to get that distance as open places are tough to come by in my AO. Hence, my preference for the loading the 162AMAX. I'm sure some other fans will chime in who are using the 180s out past there...

When you get yours figgered out, get some pics up!

There's an FN SPR action on the classifieds right now.

i have two 7mm WSM rifles to feed, and brass is hard to get right now. i may have to go the 300 WSM necked down route.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1sikpupi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have two 7mm WSM rifles to feed, and brass is hard to get right now. i may have to go the 300 WSM necked down route.

</div></div>

Well, at least you can use NORMA brass if you do, which is like comparing a Mercedes to a Hundai.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TAC READY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFC Carpentier jr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">David, give Jacob a call at RO. He will help you out. </div></div>

Yeah, he's the root of my new problem....got me started down this road. :)

Hoping to edumacate myself a little bit so my next conversation with him can be a little more productive.

Wished I could have joined you guys at the Bash this year, looks like another great time in TX.

David.
</div></div>

Yeah, Jacob started corrupting Brent and I last year, so we each have a new 7wsm sitting in the safe currently waiting on some ammo. "You have to get one. They're lasers" he says.

Missed you at the Bash.

Sean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Yeah, he's the root of my new problem....got me started down this road. :)
</div></div>

I hear you David. He had me shoot his and I almost got talked in to one.

This question might be more appropriate for the reloading section but since 7wsm shooters have already posted here I'll continue.

If I'm going to neck-down 300wsm brass what is the method most recommended? Would I use something like this product, "Redding Form and Trim Die?"

Also, on barrel twist where have folks sorted out 8 or 9 twist (intending to shoot Berger 180 or SMK 175)?

Thanks,
David