• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm/WSM-SAUM

Jon Lester

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2004
Tazewell . Virginia
Looking at a build in one of these. How long of a COL can be made to run in an AICS? I know that mags are modified but I dont know how.
How many rounds in a 10 rd.mag?

Re: 7mm/WSM-SAUM

I dont think that you can use standard aics mags. I think seekina makes a Dbm just for the wsm.

In order to extend the length of an aics Mag you have to remove the plate in the mag. It's simple just drill out 3 spot welds. You'll also have to modify the feed ramp in a factory rem 700 action to allow these to feed

everything I've read says the 10 rnd mags can't hand oal like the 5 rnd

and my vot goes for the rsaum. There's a couple great articles about this that explain why. It's a future build of mine

On my WSM with the plate taken out, I can get 2.965 on the OAL. The 10 round mags will hold 7 rounds and 3 rounds if you use the 5 rounds AICS mags. I think the AW can get a little longer, but not much longer on the seating depth. No feeding issues for me using either mags. Just make sure the opening is wide enough and it should feed fine.

My 7WSM isn't that sensitive to seating depths, even with the VLDs. Last time I measured to the throat, the OAL would have been around 3.14 or so well over 1500 rounds ago, I am sure it's the throat has lengthened some since then and it still can shoot .25 to .5 groups at 100 yards, which is rare nowadays. It's such as waste on ammo.

Does anyone have LA 10 round mags?
Are the accurate short mags the same in lenght?

Dont know about bulding on a short or long action.

IF you can find 10 round LA mags,they are going to be pretty spendy. Last time I saw one for sale it was 250+. AI stopped making them a couple of years back. There was talk about making them again, but no new news on that front.

I use the Seekins WSM DBM, mags hace a OAL of 3.165" The best DBM for any WSM/SAUM build IMHO.

AW mags will not work with the WSM/SUAM mag rounds. Accurate mags are the way to go. (3 and 7 round) They work well for the these rounds. I would go with the Short action. I am not a big fan of the single stack long action magazines.

The Accurate mags are the same outside dimension as the AICS mags, so they are gtg.

The SUAM will work very well in the SA and you get the extra case capacity with 175 ish bullets. The WSM is still great as well. Better available brass.

Both should be able to push the heavy 175's at 2900 fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does accurate make a 10 (7) round WSM Model for the AICS?</div></div>

Yes. Triad used to carry them, but stopped due to a few complaints. IIRC CDI will modify AI mags for you, but I could be wrong about that.

Jon,

Short AICS mags can easily be made to run the wsm rounds.

to remove the plate just drill out the 2 holes and then weld them up then adjust the feed ramps. Apa, Surgeon or Gap can do this easily and might have mags ready to ship already modified.

Surgeon also will mill out the side ribs of the mags for improved feeding and they can wire edm out the front plate but it is not cheap and i feel easier to do yourself.

i was running my last 7wsm at 2.930in out of the short aics mags. i ran it at 2925fps out of a 25in barrel.

while yes setting up a long action wsm might be "ideal" i would run a short action and have it chambered accordingly