• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 7mm WSM vs. 6.5x284

M4-Pilot

Private
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2008
IN
I am kind of interested in these little hot rods and I was wondering what experiences good or bad everyone here has had? Rifle would probably be built by G.A. Precision or the like and would be used for some of the tactical competitions or REALLY long range coyote hunting. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!

Re: 7mm WSM vs. 6.5x284

I don't own a 6.5x264 but the 7WSM I have is pretty tough to beat. I chose the 7 for a number of reasons, but the 6.5 is not that bad either. Both are accurate, both move high BC bullets at about the same speed. About the same bbl life as well.

I've Been Shooting a 6.5-250 AI for years.And Had a Spare 700. I Had It Punched out to a 6.5-284.So far I've Been Impressed with it.I Carried it a few weeks ago on a Elk Hunt To Wyomming.Couple of fellow with Me Had The Big Thumper Mags Got a Laugh out of the Little Round.But I Got The last one. It Drew First Blood and One Shot, One Kill. Feed Mine Plenty Of RL-22 And a 120 TSX and It Flat Kills.I Think You'll Like One.

6.5 less recoil. 7WSM with 168 and 180 Bergers thumps it in wind drift. Both are great cartridges. You can just stretch the 7s legs further.

The 6.5-284 will let you shoot all day. Try shooting all day with a 7mm WSM. You will wish the 6.5-284 would have been your choice. Plus the 6.5 bullets are so good you get great BC's out of those bullets.

hey m-4pilot, i have both. my opinions as to the pluses and minues of the 7wsm v. 6.5 284 are as follows:
7wsm:
+'s-my 7wsm from longshot rifles with a badger brake [i added the brake to improve accuracy with reduced recoil-also with the brake i can shoot it all afternoon...]shoots very accurately with 180 gr berger vld's and 66.7 gr of h1000 at 2950 ps from 300 out to 100 yards [havent shot it farther yet]. at 300 yards it will consistently get 3 shot groups [below i explain why i say 3 shots, not 4 or 5...] under 1" [usually 3/4", 3 shot groups] & out to 1000 yards it holds 1 moa. also the 7mm bullets have amazing bc's and do shoot very well at long distances and berger makes vld's for the caliber.

-'s of 7wsm-to get this accuracy required alot[and I mean alottttttt] of work on the winchester brass. in my opinion, the limiting factor for accuracy with this caliber is the winchester brass [only winchester makes 7wsm brass]. not to say the win brass is bad but i believe compared to lapua it is a much lower quality product in many aspects that effect accuracy.

i tried shooting the win brass with several different levels of brass prep [but not full prep] and discovered that accuracy was relatively poor [even with this rifle-and by poor i mean 1-2 moa [3-5" inch groups] at 300 yards. however with full accuracy brass prep I get the 1/3 moa groups at 300 & 400 yards and hold 1 moa out to 1k. the win brass requires all accuracy prep steps you will find on the 6mmbr sight for accuracy brass prep [weighing, sorting, measuring and trimming length, turning necks - [i do turning 3 times], etc...].
another issue to consider, this caliber heats up the barrel quickly, i have found it shoots best/most accurately in matches if i shoot 3 rounds quickly, let the barrel cool2-3 minutes, and repeat the cycle. if i try to put out 15 rounds, say 3-5 shot groups in 5-8 minutes the groups spread due to barrel heat up. i suspect not as great a concern for hunting applications, possibly a limiting factor for tactical matches. still i really like the caliber and the rifle.

6.5x284:
+'s-lapua brass, lapua brass, lapua brass..cant say that enough times. i am shooting 6.5 in a benchrest rifle and tactical setup and the lapua brass makes accuracy reloading a breeze. all i do is work the flash holes, primer pockets and weight sort [NO NECK TURNING REQUIRED]and I get the roughly same or better accuracy as i do with the 7wsm [unless the wind is really blowing]. the 6.5 bullets do have high bc's, just not quite as high as the 7mm's. the 7mm bullets do seem to buck the wind a bit better than the 6.5's at longer distances.

-'s of 6.5 x 284-barrel life, i shoot roughly 50 rounds per rifle per weekend so at that rate i will go through a 6.5 x 284 barrel once a year. the 7wsm will last about twice as long [or so i have been told/led to believe-idont know for certain as i havent shot out a 7wsm barrel yet]

at the end of the day they are both great calibers. my advice is that you buy/try/shoot both.

have fun...

Used the same way, barrel life in a 7 WSM isn't going to be double a 6.5-284 but much closer to same same.

Lapua brass is a big "advantage".

Both are great rounds, barrels are cheap.

+1 on getting both!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inalabama</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. . . -'s of 6.5 x 284-barrel life, i shoot roughly 50 rounds per rifle per weekend so at that rate i will go through a 6.5 x 284 barrel once a year. . .</div></div>
YMMV, but I'd suggest that's optimistic and I fried a Hart 6.5-284 barrel in substantially fewer than the 2,600 rounds you expect. . .

My first barrel on this rifle saw nothing but moly bullets, the first 800 of which were BH/Norma factory 142s, and most of the rest were 140 Bergers over 53 grains of H4350SC. I shot it carefully, seldom quickly and tried to get the most out of it I could. It started tossing undeniable fliers well out of the group at 1,700 or so, and was frustrating to shoot by the 2,037 I had on it when I had GAP rework it. When I finally sent it in, it was running 1-1/2 moa as an average, and some fliers were *really* out there. Strictly speaking, "match accuracy" was probably gone at around 1,500-1,600, but for the modest requirements of field positions and banging steel, I had another couple hundred relatively useful shots. I sectioned the pull-off barrel for the first 4" and the fire cracking and wear was visible and severe.

Are you kidding me, win brass is less accurate, and makes a round less accurate. I have 2 7wsm now. Ive owned 3 at one time. It doesnt get much better then those suckers shooting 180gr VLDS. They straight out kick ass, they shoot as good as I can. Never EVER had any problems with win brass or anything!

I've had and shot both; they are excellent choices. You'll likely get better barrel life on the 7WSM, but it does recoil more then teh 6.5x284.
I'm currently shooting the 7WSM for F-Class at 600 yards and 1K. Although the brass is not as uniform as Lapua, its also 1/2 the price. I prepped and sorted my cases, and have no problems with accuracy using Winchester brass. I anneal my brass every thrid firing, and it lasts for about 9 loads before I toss it in the recycle bin.In F-Class I put 55-60 rounds through my 7WSM in a day, 22-25 rounds at a time in less 15-18 minutes. Even then, I have 925+ competition round through her and she looks good at the throat and shoots like crazy.

I've got another 7WSM - this one tight necked - coming. This is a great chambering.

JeffVN

Which caliber would be more accurate assuming all things are equal at 600-1000 yards? Barrel, action, etc. And how much more recoil would a 12 lb gun have if chambered in 7wsm.

7 with a 180 berger will be pushed less by wind and get out there with a bit less elevation. Put a break on the 7 and its nothing. I have both and they both bet to 1000 with lots left over.

the lapua brass i have bought has had more consistent neck wall thickness and better factory neck annealing than winchester and therefore more consistent neck tension than winchester brass, that will/does improve accuracy [you can-and i do-turn the winchester necks and after enough work it shoots well enough] , you may want to read the excerpt below from the 6mmbr web sight. i consistently get 1/3 - 1/2 moa groups with my LSR 7wsm out to 500-600 yards and it shoots very accuratly out to 1k, i routinely do better out to 600 yards with my 6.5 x 47 running lapua brass [both using berger vld's];

the nice thing about opinions is that everyone gets to have one...

Neck Variation in Brass -- Why You Need to Measure
Extreme accuracy demands consistent case necks. If your case neck walls are thicker on one side than another, your bullets can be positioned off-center in the chamber, or tilted slightly off the bore axis. That means your bullets can actually start off crooked as they enter the barrel. (And "jamming" bullets into the rifling won't necessarily correct the problem.) If some of your case necks are significantly thicker than others, it will be difficult to maintain consistent neck tension from one round to another. That can kill accuracy in a number of ways. Likewise, widely varying neck tension can cause nasty swings in cartridge pressures and velocities.

Take any two cartridge cases out of the box, and you will see variations in neck wall thickness and uniformity, even with superior brass such as Lapua. With low-quality brass, the variations may be extreme. We've seen Remington brass vary up to .004" in wall thickness within the same box.

The illustrations at right show the two basic problems with neck walls. First, the neck walls on some cases, even if they are uniform all the way around, will be thicker than on other cases. This hurts accuracy because it is virtually impossible to maintain consistent neck tension with brass of varying neck wall thickness. Yes, you can try to adjust tension using different bushings, but it is much better to start with brass that has the same wall thickness.

Even if a batch of brass has the same average wall thickness, give or take a thousandth, you can still have problems if the neck walls are not uniform. This is illustrated in the second diagram. Neckwalls can be thick on one side and thin on another. The only way to "cure" this problem is to turn the necks.

Of course, in a given lot of brass you will probably see a combination of these variations--both case to case differences in average wall thickness and lack of uniformity on individual cases. That is why it is so important to measure your case necks, even if you shoot no-turn necks. With a good case neck wall measuring system you can cull the worst offenders, and then segregate your brass according to neck thickness.

How much does weight effect recoil on the 7 WSM? A stock with lead injection and a 28 or 30" MTU barrel should make it pretty reasonable I would think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A.O.R.G.S-Hassey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much does weight effect recoil on the 7 WSM? A stock with lead injection and a 28 or 30" MTU barrel should make it pretty reasonable I would think. </div></div>

That shouldn't be too bad IMO. It's all what you are willing to put up with. I shot out my last barrel with the 7.55 Broughton contour with no brake. I have on multiple occasions put 100 rounds through the rifle in a afternoon of shooting. It didn't bother me or my shoulder at all. My friends 100lb GF even shot several rounds through it and didn't think it was that bad. But then again, another Hide member shot it and thought it had way too much recoil... but then again he shoots a 223AI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But then again, another Hide member shot it and thought it had way too much recoil... but then again he shoots a 223AI.</div></div>

Soon to be .308 with 155 smk's at 2900...but a braked one at that!

I shoot my GAP 7wsm with both badger thruster brake and a can. Either I can shoot all day with almost no recoil. It is a great round. I am limited to 1000yds so I can't speak to anything beyond that but this sucker just shoots. 180 vld's, 62.0 gr 4831sc, 215M primers and shoot. Stop the recoil worries, load up and fire!

Best of both worlds 284!! I shot the barrels out of a couple f 6.5x284s and loved them. I just think they are to hard on barrels. I am currently building a 284 and hoping it will be a shooter.

These 2 calibers are the go to rounds in F class open right now it seems. You may want to talk with some of those guys and get some feedback from them, although the info posted here has been very good.

No experience with the 7 wsm but I'm looking to have one for my next build job. Currently shooting a 6.5-284 and IMO it is one of the best all round calibers ever made. Lapua brass actually makes reloading fun.

Im looking at a 7saum for my next build... almost same as the 7wsm but uses less powder and has very similar ballistics.

The 7mm projectiles from Berger are total win! They kick so much ass I look at my .30 cal and just shake my head.

The 7 WSM/RSAUM/BAT/280Rem when loaded with the 168 Berger and 162 Amax are not much improved over a 6.5-284 or 6.5-06 when you load those with the 140gr Berger, 140 JLK, etc. class bullets.

The speeds gleaned from the short magnum familty and the 160gr class bullets is almost identical and the BC's are almost identical.

In fact, For my 6.5-06 and my 7/300 WSM they shoot the 140 and 168 Bergers (respectively) at virtually the same speed when I push them both hard. At a MILE the wind drift and drop are within single digit inches of each other. I figured they would be close but when I actually did the numbers I was a little surprised that they were literally on top of each other.

Trajectory twins.

If you slow the 7's down a touch and stuff the 180gr class VLD's through them the wind prowess of those bullets comes through and it's a no brainer going to the short mags with heavy heavy 7mm's in there.

To go up another notch and run the Cautericco 187's or the fabled 200's would be quite the step, I would probably elect for something a little beefier than the 7 WSM to spit them out, but the paper analysis says that it should smoke just about anything shy of the big 338's and other ultra-mag type chamberings.

Can't disagree with what Bohem says. My brother's F-Class .284 (30" barrel) runnning the Berger 180s at just under 2,900 fps holds significantly less wind than a competing 6.5x284 using 140 Bergers at 2,950.

My F-Class 7WSM (30" barrel) running the Berger 180s at 3,050 or the 189 Cauterucio's at 2,950 fps. are significalty better then the any 6.5 bullet at 2,950 fps.

JeffVN

The two big differences in the equation are barrel life and recoil. The 6.5x284 is a great round for 1000yd work. (I shot the barrels out of two of them.) They are hard on barrels though.

I have not played with the 7MM mags only the 300WMs but I know they shoot well. Recoil would be a concern for most shooters but then you can go with a good muzzle brake to help with that. So that leaves barrel life. The 6.5s and mags are both hard on barrels. Its just a fact of the performance you get.

I am looking to the 284 because I am hoping I will get the best of both worlds. Great ballistics and barrel life that is double that of the 6.5s. Time will tell, my Broughton is on its way here.

Raptor99 how many rounds you get from your 6.5x284s? I have burned one 7WSM barrel, but it died early from F-Class competition shooting...as in 25 rounds in 18 or 19 minutes and the barrel is too hot to grab... repeat 2 and sometimes 3 times in a day. That barrel lasted 1,685 rounds.

I know that George at GA Precision thinks his 7WSM will go 3K before it needs to be rebarreled. No F-Class for george, at least not with that particualr rifle.

My brother figures to get 2,500 - 3,000 rounds from his .284 Winchester, based on its curent status with nearly 1,500 rounds through it, and he uses it for F-Class in California and here in Vegas.

JeffVN

I just put together a 7SAUM on a long action. 26" Krieger. I'm seating 180 JLKs out in the neck with an overall length just shy of 3.1". Shot a ladder test last weekend. Looking at a node around 2875 to 2900. Loaded up some loads in this range and will try to test this weekend. Highest velocity obtained during the ladder test was 3010. That was definitely a max or close to max load. The primers weren't flattened. BTW, shooting Remington brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6.5-284 will let you shoot all day. Try shooting all day with a 7mm WSM. You will wish the 6.5-284 would have been your choice. Plus the 6.5 bullets are so good you get great BC's out of those bullets. </div></div>

Except the the barrel will go south quicker on the 6.5-284 Norma. It's a barrel eater.

Gents,

If you looks at F-class where this sort or cartridge is wrung out the 7's are 'it' they won the previous World Championships' and were pretty much the top ten places of the last WC's. The 6.5-284 did not figure in the last WC's.

Barrel life of both when pushed to these limits are the same(ish)

FYI the current WC used Win. brass and 180 bergers in a 270-7WSM chambering. If you looked at his scores they were not exactly 'shabby'
smile.gif

Brgds English

I have a GAP built Surgeon in 7WSM. It was set up to shoot the 180s and it does it well. 1/4 MOA off bags with 180 Bergers in Win cases with no case work done. 61 of RL17 and a 215 get me 2970. I use my Thunder Beast 30P-1 30 cal can on it.
It's a bad ass set up. I've hit out to 2k with it. Inside 1500 it's just awesome and it's the same weight and size as my 308.

English

Nice to see you still come around and post from time to time. Let me know when you are next this side of the pond, and I'll try to drag you out to the desert here in Vegas and shoot some very long ranges (as in to and beyond a 1,800 yards) with the 7WSM and my 338 LM Improved.

The British team chamberings did not escape my notice or that of lots of my F-Class friends. Sadly, I now face more then 1/2 the F-Class line up on my range shooting a .284, 7 SAUM or some sort of wsm version using the 180 Bergers in every match I shoot.

JeffVN

In regards to shooting all day with the possible choices:

I have some decent time behind a 6.5x284 and a lot of rounds downrange with a 7wsm. I dont find either one to be hard on the shoulder. I have fired all day with the 7wsm and it was no problem whatsoever. It is the same configuration and weight as my 308 (24" tube, no flute, A5 stock, etc) and with a muzzle break (surefire) or a suppressor it does not recoil noticeably more than the 308 does. Positional, slung, and poorly supported shooting is just fine as well. I dont think my shoulder has been sore from running the 7wsm that I can remember. That includes several 2 day RO matches, one of them with the train up right before.

So in my opinion, I wouldnt let recoil be a major factor in the choice.

As for barrel life.....we'll see. I run fairly conservative loads, so I have some hope. However, I also love to shoot the mover stages at RO and that puts a hurtin' on the poor throat. This last match we had 20 rounds at the 500yd mover in 2 passes. That barrel was quite hot after that one. Not to mention the 100yd mover. That burns a few rounds in a minute. There is about 1k through it now and it still shoots lights out.

Love my 7wsm, but mileage may vary

Jeffvn,
My 6.5x284 went at around 1500+ rounds. I had it bore scoped by JR at H&S when he worked there. I had just came back from the D&L shoot in Wyoming and had right at 1200 rounds though it.
He told me it was starting to show some throat then but should be good for another 1000rds if I didn't abuse it to bad.

I got hurt the following year training for the shoot so I sent it with my son with the stipulation that he not get in the man on man matches with it. He did and the rest is history. The barrel was toast in less than 300rds. It went from .3s to .7s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeffvn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Raptor99 how many rounds you get from your 6.5x284s? I have burned one 7WSM barrel, but it died early from F-Class competition shooting...as in 25 rounds in 18 or 19 minutes and the barrel is too hot to grab... repeat 2 and sometimes 3 times in a day. That barrel lasted 1,685 rounds.

I know that George at GA Precision thinks his 7WSM will go 3K before it needs to be rebarreled. No F-Class for george, at least not with that particualr rifle.

My brother figures to get 2,500 - 3,000 rounds from his .284 Winchester, based on its curent status with nearly 1,500 rounds through it, and he uses it for F-Class in California and here in Vegas.

JeffVN</div></div>

If I remember correctly George shot his 7WSM last year at the Nationals in CA?

Owning and shooting both a 7mm WSM with 180 VLD's and a 6.5x284 140 VLD's.

The 7 has considerable more recoil than the 6.5.

And the 6.5 is a lighter rifle.

As far as down range to 1000 yards, there is no difference.

I'll take the 6.5 and if it's a windy day the 300 WSM gets the nod.