• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

7mm wsm vs. 7mm rsaum

chefpierre

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2010
UP of michigan
I am planning a build on savage action for target shooting. I plan on shooting 162 amax, 168 berger, or 180 berger. I also plan on building this off of a brux barrel. Probably a 9 or 8 twist. If you had your choice of these two which would it be. Thanks in advance for the input.

Re: 7mm wsm vs. 7mm rsaum

Go the 7SAUM route. 1-9 will easily stabilize the 180'a and 2,950fps is a reality. I run a 7/300wsm with the 180's at 2,920fps, very easy on brass. I built a 7SAUM for a guy out west, 180's at 2,950fps with less powder than mine. He emailed me a pic of a three shot group at 1 mile he shot with it. All three shots could be covered easily with the palm of his hand.

While this is not the norm, it shows the accuracy to be more than acceptable with this round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go the 7SAUM route. 1-9 will easily stabilize the 180'a and 2,950fps is a reality. I run a 7/300wsm with the 180's at 2,920fps, very easy on brass. I built a 7SAUM for a guy out west, 180's at 2,950fps with less powder than mine. He emailed me a pic of a three shot group at 1 mile he shot with it. All three shots could be covered easily with the palm of his hand.

While this is not the norm, it shows the accuracy to be more than acceptable with this round.
</div></div>

Pretty impressive.

Remington is no longer supporting 7SAUM, so expect brass to become harder to find in the future. Go 7BAT (7/300WSM)

7saum brass is not hard to find

But if it were me plain jane 284 win

I am by no means an expert but went through this about 2 years ago when I ordered a rifle. I went with the factory 7mm wsm. In retrospect I probably wouldn't have done either. Don't get me wrong I think both are great but here is my issue. I have a 6.5/284 in a long action. I can seat bullets so far out the fall out of the case if I wish. Feeds great from a AI 300 WM magazing no issues. I had to wait for ever for Seekins DBM to become available to be able to seat 180s far enough out to make the WSM worth it. I like the 404 jeffery brass idea no belt but if I had it to do over again a long action 7mm would be my choice. 7/300 Weatherby, 7mm STW, 7mm Dakota, hell a regular 7mm Remington magnum with 180s is damn hard to beat. I also have to admit I do have a prejudice against short actions for the magazine length issue. I guess a wyatt box or go with a winchester action gives you more room but in a DBM it really limits you to seekins and right now just 3 round magazines. The SAUM helps with this but you are still seating a 180 pretty deep to get it in a AI magazine. But that is my on paper opinion as I have no personal reloading experience with the SAUM. Hopefully some one that loads that round can chime in. These are all just things I have considered since going that route. If I have misspoken someone chime in and correct me. It would help me as well cause I'm thinking of taking the barrel off of a 300 WM to convert to a long action 7mm maybe STW. That 180 7mm BC is just way to nice not to take advantage of. To get close in a .308 your talking 210 or 240 and even the .338 is 300 grainers.
JMO
Rad

7x300 WSM would be a good choice due to the Norma brass. We have had really good success with the 9 twist 3 groove barrels for the 168-180 Bergers. I would also consider the straight 284 using 6.5x284 Lapua brass. If it is a target rifle only barrel length should not be an issue thus velocity would not be an issue in just about any 7mm configuration (32" barrel if you have to, why not?). For a tactical rifle i like the 7 WSM on a short (or long) action.

for a tactical match type rifle, i'd be looking at a straight 284 win. i should see a seekins 7wsm bottom metal in the next couple weeks. once i see how that works out, i think a tactical match type 284 win should be a reality in a short action.

if you are trying to squeeze every bit of long range performance out of a 7mm, the 7wsm is a good choice at the cost of barrel life and powder consumption.

i am not big on brass prep and have been satisfied with the real world performance of winchester brass. personally, <span style="font-style: italic">for the type of shooting i do</span>, i don't think the difference between norma or lapua brass and winchester brass will be the difference between a win or loss at a match.

I have a wsm action already. My choices are limited to wsm lineup. The other choice I have is to go the 300 wsm route, but the whole BC thing. I always hear about the 308 being quite regular out to 800 - 1000. I figure the 300 wsm can do whatever the 308 can and then some. If it wasnt for the whole BC thing Id go with the 300 wsm.

Do you think that you gain that much from the 7mm class.

Your right about the 308 Win Vs. the 300 WSM. The 300 WSM gets better barrel life than the 7. One thing to consider is that you will get alot of recoil with the 300 if you shoot the heavy bullets that compete with the 7. And yes you gain that much. 208 A-max at 2,900fps Vs. 180 Berger at 3000fps favors the 7mm with 7.5" less wind drift at 1,000yds than the 300 not to mention alot less recoil.