• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm WSM vs 7mm SAUM

wfpack14

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2008
West Fargo, ND
I did a search and could not find anything on this, so if I missed a topic please let me know.. Is there a difference in these two calibers? Is one better then the other? I am looking at building a new 7mm over the winter. Thanks

Re: 7mm WSM vs 7mm SAUM

The differences are subtle. Without modifying the mag box, and just generally speaking, Remington short actions fit the SAUM rounds somewhat more readily, and WSM's are probably a better fit in Winchester short actions (just because of COAL). Makes sense, doesn't it, considering which companies designed each round? Ballistically, the 7mm SAUM and WSM are fairly similar, with the WSM having slightly more case capacity. Either one is a fine round.

You're going to have to do a better job of defining "better". Maybe it's a pet peeve of mine, but "better", to me, is a concept that is vague and lacks focus, until it is clearly delineated. "Right tool for the right job", right? But, it's hard to choose the right tool until you define what the intended job is...

Ive had 7wsm in both type of action, M70 WSM and Rem700. Both feed from AICS mags modified to shoot WSM and chambered around 180gr VLDS. Both work fine. Take your pick eather round you will be happy with. I happined to pick WSM for winchester brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfpack14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did a search and could not find anything on this, so if I missed a topic please let me know.. Is there a difference in these two calibers? Is one better then the other? I am looking at building a new 7mm over the winter. Thanks</div></div>

I agree better is a vauge term. What I should have said, is there an advantage that one has over the other. Such as case capicity, neck length, do they feed reliably, availabilty of brass. I am looking for some information on either round so I can make an informed decision. Thanks for the posts so far.

The SAUM has longer neck, but lower case capacity then the WSM. Notwithstanding this diffference in case capacity, I've seen the 7SAUM run 180 Bergers every bit as fast as my 7WSM using 180 Bergers.

Brass availability heavily favors the WSM; I've not seen the SAUM brass in some time. Most manufacturers stoped making the SAUM rifles a few years ago.

Both will fedd from a magazine, teh SAUM a tiny bit easier, as the shoulder is a bit shallower.

I would not avoid the SAUM based on the case capacity, as I said above, she runs every bit as fast as teh WSM, except possibly out of a short barreled hunting rifle where the case capacity in a short tube would potentially make a difference. If you go SAUM, buy as much brass as you can up front, so you will eliminate any problems finding brass.

JeffVN

Capacity is capacity and in broad brushstrokes the SAUM is a 280AI,the WSM a 7Remmie Mag. The WSM will always win a speed trial,at like pressures.

That being said,the differences in performance aren't enough to shed a tear over. 100-150fps on the outside.

R/P SAUM brass has been exceptional in all lots I've procured,since inception. While not a W/W fan,their 7 and 300WSM stuff has been great,for a like length of time.

In pure ballistic terms,the WSM has more ass. Despite having three 7WSM's currently,I'll build another on Glen's DBM in an A5...for distant mayhem and giggles.

I have a 7saum build on a Tac 300 action with a Shilen 30 inch tube. With 64gr H-1000 I can send 180 Hybrids at 3050fps. I only use Nosler brass which can be alittle hard to find at times but it is the best I've found so far. Accuracy is impressive.

7saum is my choice

7wsm mostly seen as 270-7 or 300-7 because neck on 7wsm brass is very short

7Saum IMHO better case design, brass is very good for RP product
difference in performance is nominal

My choice is the 7-300 wsm, a 7 wsm with a longer neck and slightly less case capacity.
The best of both worlds in my opinion.
One more good reason is that I get Norma brass for it, pretty much eliminates the need for case prep,weight sorting etc.
Sure it's more expensive then Rem and Win brass but superior in quality too.

Can't go wrong with any of you're options really, do some more research and pick the one you like the best.

7SAUM was my choice for the improved cartridge design.

My SAUM is a beast. Short action, 26" barrel, 62grains of H4831sc = 2960fps at muzzle with 180gr Berger Hybrid. Also have developed a lighter load with the 162gr Hornady that saves some barrel.

I've had 3 saum's, and 1 year ago would've recommnded one. Had one shooting 180 hybrids at 3160fps, now I have 2 that barely run over 2900fps.
The 7wsm, or 7mm-300wsm would be an easier build.
Face it, you'll be fighting to find saum brass forever, unless you pay the inflated price for the nosler shit!

Wow.....How very four years ago.
smirk.gif