• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

7mm WSM

Re: 7mm WSM

jjt,

A lot of people here in the Hide really like them. Use the Google search link in my signature. It only searches within the Hide. You can find all kinds of great stuff.

Good luck,

-Pat

1500 rounds of hard use through mine. I might have to go back to my old bullet and powder combo to make sure it's still shooting well and maybe it's just the new powder that is not shooting like it should.

My buddies got 1200 down the tube. His standard load was giving him 3100fps with 168 Bergers. He has had to recently chase his throat and tweak the load. If it was mine I would rebarrel after that started happening. He runs it pretty hard.

I don't load mine hard and get nearly the velocity as others. After 650 rounds through it, it looks nearly new. Again, I'm not pushing it either with the loads or on the range. Accuracy is running .5-1 MOA in mine. FWIW, I don't push my .280 Ackley that hard either. It runs about 100-150 fps behind the 7 WSM on about 4-5 gr. less powder. Get a 1-9" twist minimum, load 180 Bergers or JLK's and let the bullet do the work.

I've watched this round closly for awhile and after shooting one I really had alot of respect for the round. I watched them really becomming more popular the last two years though. The 7WSM is a great caliber for North American hunting. For me I would use it on everything up to ELK. I read about people shooting moose and black bear with them personally, I would step up to a .338 or bigger. If punching holes at long range is your game the 7WSM will awnser with authority. Read the 1000yd and beyond thread about it. Mine is a GAP 26", in a AI stock,templar action and w/nightforce 5.5x22 with NP-R2. I have not shot mine because I'm deployed, but have shot a couple of my friends. Mine is a tank I am actually looking to get another lighter one right now for next years mule dear and white tail hunts. Hope this helps.

I have heard that the barrel life isn't great but if you take care of her there is no reason you shouldn't be able to shoot 1500-1700 rounds min before you rebarrel. Or setting her back earlier will probably give you a few hundred more rounds before you rebarrel. In the big game of long range shooting a rebarrel here and there isn't that expencive.

Also you will need to reload. Unless there is match ammo out there that I havn't heard about. Get a fast twist rate to sling 180 bergers.

This is just what I gathered from studing and speaking with alot of people that own them. Like I said I have a couple months left here. Then I will give you a range report of mine when I get home and get load buildup completed.

Hope this helps

Jesse