• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm WSM

deadeyeky

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2008
with all this talk about the 300 WSM, 300WM, all the .338 cartridges, has anyone forgoten about the 7mmWSM, my bonestock factory browning a-bolt with a pencil thin 20" barrel, will shot 3/4 moa at 1000, put a dent in the disc blade also so it must still have something in the tank after 1k....

Re: 7mm WSM

There are lots of people that shoot that caliber well beyond the 1000 yard mark. It is an awesome round for long range shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadeyeky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">with all this talk about the 300 WSM, 300WM, all the .338 cartridges, has anyone forgoten about the 7mmWSM, my bonestock factory browning a-bolt with a pencil thin 20" barrel, will shot 3/4 moa at 1000, put a dent in the disc blade also so it must still have something in the tank after 1k.... </div></div>
Pictures!!?? So, how big were those groups at 1K?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadeyeky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">with all this talk about the 300 WSM, 300WM, all the .338 cartridges, has anyone forgoten about the 7mmWSM, my bonestock factory browning a-bolt with a pencil thin 20" barrel, will shot 3/4 moa at 1000, put a dent in the disc blade also so it must still have something in the tank after 1k.... </div></div>
Pictures!!?? So, how big were those groups at 1K?</div></div>

yeah I wanna see video of you doing this with that setup.

video would be sweet. 3/4 MOA would be 7.5 inches at 1000 yards. That is very good considering that rifle and set up. Pics and video please. I want to build a 7WSM so bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">video would be sweet. 3/4 MOA would be 7.5 inches at 1000 yards. That is very good considering that rifle and set up. Pics and video please. I want to build a 7WSM so bad. </div></div>
Don't tell him the answer! LOL! I would also like to know the scope and what was dialed to make these hits.

Yeah I'm curious too. Deadeye, could you tell us what kind of scope you are running? Did you dial for that range or did you hold over? I'd also be interested in your load specs. I'm interested in building a 7 whizzum for myself soon so I'm trying to learn all I can from experienced shooters such as yourself.

Marc

Chalk one up for the great 7.I've got one I bought used,bartlin 1;8.5 no.7 mcmillan camo m40 stock wyatt etc.I shoot the 162a-max and 180 berger vld.It's a shooter.

The 7wsm is a great cartidge. I love mine. My next project is a 300wsm not as good ballistically as the 7, but should give me better barrel life. On the 7wsm, the throat started moving forward (enough to notice with change in ballistics) at a little over 1100 rounds. I chased the lands for a while but now I'm using 168 JLK's and jumping (accuracy is still excellent but giving up some velocity. I've shot my 7 out to 1400yds, it kept up with my 338 Lapua to about 1000yds.

raton015.jpg

the scope is a leupold 4-12 AO, burris rings with a 20 moa set up front orientated so its - in front, anoth 20 moa set + in the back, i still had about 5 or 6 moa left so 1400 is out of the question. last time i shot 1k was about a month or two ago, my groupd was about 8 3/4 inch, so bigger than 3/4 moa, guess internet makes everything bigger
wink.gif

the load? 168gr VLD, 66.5 grains of RL-25, WLRM, winchester brass, painstakenly prepped and sorted... next time i get to a 1k range will be in january, i will post a pic of my best group then, but for now, a shilen select match barrel with 1-8 twist, standard palma contour is on the way... also building a .338 Edge.
I do have access to a ranch with 14" target at 1440 yards, and a 26" target set at 1940 yards, out of about 75 shots with my wsm i only hit my plate at 1940 once,(barely). i literaly have to aim at the mountains on the otherside of the valley.

9 twist is plenty for even the 180's. Nobody's forgot about the 7's. I can't help but click on any topic with 7wsm in the title and i ve owned one. The 7 is a great all aound rifle. Lots of guys on this site love them.

Let me know how many shots it takes you to hit the 1940 with the edge and 300smk. I'll bet it's half as many

I shoot a 7wsm. 61 of RL17 with a 215M in Winchester case gets me 2970 with the 180 VLD 21.5 MOA elevation and 3.9 MOA wind at 1k
41 and 6.6 at 1500.
If I could keep only one I think this would be it. It hits so hard but recoils so mild with a 30 cal can on it. I've gotten hits at the mile mark with it and it's a little lighter than my 308
What a great round

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadeyeky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
raton015.jpg

the scope is a leupold 4-12 AO, burris rings with a 20 moa set up front orientated so its - in front, anoth 20 moa set + in the back, i still had about 5 or 6 moa left so 1400 is out of the question. last time i shot 1k was about a month or two ago, my groupd was about 8 3/4 inch, so bigger than 3/4 moa, guess internet makes everything bigger
wink.gif

the load? 168gr VLD, 66.5 grains of RL-25, WLRM, winchester brass, painstakenly prepped and sorted... next time i get to a 1k range will be in january, i will post a pic of my best group then, but for now, a shilen select match barrel with 1-8 twist, standard palma contour is on the way... also building a .338 Edge.
I do have access to a ranch with 14" target at 1440 yards, and a 26" target set at 1940 yards, out of about 75 shots with my wsm i only hit my plate at 1940 once,(barely). i literaly have to aim at the mountains on the otherside of the valley. </div></div>

I thought you said that you had a 20" barrel on that Browning?

Hi i use a 7mm Rem DSAUM and it uses less powder to get the same velocity it is actualy a better option. as comparing it to a 30 cal the 7mm short mags will beat the 300 short mags hands down at the long ranges during the last MatchRifle championships 1000,1100,1200 yards i won the state title in F Class with only 7 shots out of 95 out of the 18" bull with 54 of them inside the 9" centre bull. the next shooter was 33 points behind with a 300WSM. Now if a breaked 338 was allowed it would win hands down but in the 7mm to 30 cal race i was using a 175gr matchKing in 7mm and the only commercial 30 cal projectile with a higher bc is the 240gr matchking so you would have to run the 240 nearly the same speed to match the performance or a 210 gr projectile at 3100fps to match it. i am running a 28" match Lawton 9 twist barrel with over 2000 rounds down it and it is running over 3000fps with a long drop tube and retumbo.

The 7WSM is an awesome cartridge. Looky here: http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek071.html

2.67" group at 1000............not too shabby I'd say.

If you run any numbers through Exbal or any other ballistic program you'll see that the 7WSM shooting 180 VLD's at a respectable velocity holds up pretty good against the 338 Lapua......and it's doing this with less powder and a smaller bullet.

If I were to build another rifle today it would be a single shot - heavy bench rifle in 7WSM.

7WSM is very capable. I have had nothing but great luck out of the WSMs....especially the 7s.

I've got a 7WSM that I was shooting out in the desert a few days ago well beyond 1,000 yards in pretty high winds (20-25mph). You have to love the high velocites you can get with the high BC 7mm projos. Supersubes was calling it a "cheater rifle" and it really is.

Great caliber for long range, pity it's a barrel burner!

To stay competitive you may only get two seasons before the barrel needs replaced.

Dirty Harry in the big scheme of things a rebarrel every other season isn't that bad. This is considering the cost of ammo, scopes and acc's. Just my opinion

I have 1300rds. down my benchmark barrel,still going strong.

I have a jug of 4831sc, now I need to get me some 180 Bergers. I am currently shooting 162 A-Max at 3050.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KQguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 1300rds. down my benchmark barrel,still going strong. </div></div>

Nice. What load and velocity are you using? Benchmark makes a sweet barrel!

The 168 Berger's aren't bad either. I think it's a .617bc and can be pushed in the neighborhood of 3100fps.

I just decided to do a 7/300wsm for a hunting rifle. The reason is I still have all the brass and dies from my 300wsm but just want that 180 berger so I figured all I would have to get is a neck die. The b.c. on that bullet is unbeleiveable. Looking at the energy compaired to the 30 cal 190 at the same speed at 1000yds the 7mm has about 250#s more knockdown energy.

The straight 7wsm has .030" more case capacity. You will probably get a little more velocity out of the straight 7wsm. I had the 7x300 and liked it though, mainly for the Norma brass.

Sorry for the dumb arse question - but can you run the 7 SAUM out of a short action? I've got a Surgeon SA repeater and I'm thinking of rebarreling. I'd like to be able to use AICS 308 mags with it though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KQguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 1300rds. down my benchmark barrel,still going strong. </div></div>

Nice. What load and velocity are you using? Benchmark makes a sweet barrel!

The 168 Berger's aren't bad either. I think it's a .617bc and can be pushed in the neighborhood of 3100fps. </div></div>
I am shooting 162gr Amax's,with 69.2gr. of H1000,215M primer.I am getting 3030fps.My barrel is 27"

If you long throat the WSM (seat the bullet so that the shoulder/boat tail junction is at the neck/shoulder junction), I'm not sure it will give up any velocity to the 7 Rem Mag (assuming that we are talking about the Berger 180s).

If you go mag length for both, then the 7MM will win the velocity game virtually every time because of its larger case capacity and longer magazine seating length.

JeffVN

I agree with Jeff, I built my 7wsm on a long action and was getting identical MV's as 7mm rem mag we went shooting with (his loads actually had slight pressure signs and mine did not), I believe both were 26" barrels. It was easy to figure out the drop chart for his rifle as we were using identical bullets, he just used more powder to get the same MV. It's only one example, but obvously the cartridges are very close velocity wise without short action restrictions.

This often gets confused with the 300wsm vs 300 win mag. In that case the standard belted mag has more than enough extra capacity to ensure higher MV's even if the WSM is not restricted to 2.8"

Guys, you will never need to seat any 7mm bullet out further than 3.160" because even the 180 bergers dont have much room to be sat out further than that, there wont be anything left in the neck. At 3.150" the bearing surface/boattail junction is already above the neck/shoulder junction of the case. So what Im trying to say is, Glens WSM DBM is all you need to seat them out as long as you possibly can. No need whatsoever to go with a long action for 7 or evem 300WSM.

BTW, Glens WSM mags will let you seat the bullets out to 3.165" max.

i use the rem SAUM and it seems to push the 180 vld's at the same speed as the larger WSM case does but all things being equil you should be able to get a bit more velocity from the WSM case but the rem SAUM case just seems to be a better balance. Glen Seekins DBM is perfect for either build the 7mm is actualy better than a similar sized case in 30 cal with drop and wind drift and if you do the figures it retains more energy at 1000 yards than a 30 cal on the same case as the BC is so hige you have to push a heavier projectile faster in the 30 cal to just keep up.

As for barrels you can get 2000 rounds no problem if you start using retumbo or H1000 as they are cooler burning and give you better velocity with less pressure H4831SC works well in shorter actions but a drop tube and retumbo is the best with 26" plus barrels. I have another 30" lawton 9 twist fitted not as the old barrel dies at 2350 rounds still ok for club shooting but no good for Open F Class competition as the bore has started to firecrack and needs a lot of cleening to keep shooting so it is out now.

Wild Bill,

Interesting that you get such high round count out of these rounds...

Last summer @ Bisley most of the GB F/O team were running something like a .284 Shehane, 7 short mag of some flavor, etc.

The rumor was that they were pushing the short mags pretty hard - like 3000+fps, heavy on the 'plus'. Reported barrel life went something like... 1st 250 rounds, phenomenal accuracy. 2nd 250rds... very good accuracy. After that... living on borrowed time.
frown.gif

Not sure I want to run loads hot enough to make both the brass *and* the barrels literally 'consumables'...

Monte

There are quite a few people with over 2k plus rounds out of their 7WSM. I think George at GAP had around 3k on his, Jered at APA has over 2k on his and LL is up there as well. I have right around 2700 rounds on mine and my loads aren't that light either. 175s are running 67grs of 4831SC and the 180s are 65.5grs, this is all magazine fit at 2.960. I do have another barrel on the way for it. I am not sure if it's on its way out or not. The other day I tested some loads at 100 with the 175s and it would barely shoot under 1", but then took it to the 600 yard line, it couldn't miss.

IMO, when going with the flat shooting cartridges, there is always a trade off. The barrel is cheaper then all the ammo that has been shot through it.

Its not how many round the barrel can take, its how fast the throat will advance. Im at 350 rounds right now, and the throat went from (this is for 180 bergers) 3.150" to the lands to 3.170" that is some fast ass throat movement. My next barrel will be melonited as soon as I break it in. I love this round, but the throat wear is killing me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are quite a few people with over 2k plus rounds out of their 7WSM. I think George at GAP had around 3k on his, Jered at APA has over 2k on his and LL is up there as well. I have right around 2700 rounds on mine and my loads aren't that light either. 175s are running 67grs of 4831SC and the 180s are 65.5grs, this is all magazine fit at 2.960. I do have another barrel on the way for it. I am not sure if it's on its way out or not. The other day I tested some loads at 100 with the 175s and it would barely shoot under 1", but then took it to the 600 yard line, it couldn't miss.

IMO, when going with the flat shooting cartridges, there is always a trade off. The barrel is cheaper then all the ammo that has been shot through it. </div></div>

Don't forget it broke a 1" thick steel target in half.
grin.gif

I need to get 81sfo to send me the pic of that steel plate. So I can frame it. lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, you will never need to seat any 7mm bullet out further than 3.160" because even the 180 bergers dont have much room to be sat out further than that, there wont be anything left in the neck. At 3.150" the bearing surface/boattail junction is already above the neck/shoulder junction of the case. So what Im trying to say is, Glens WSM DBM is all you need to seat them out as long as you possibly can. No need whatsoever to go with a long action for 7 or evem 300WSM.

BTW, Glens WSM mags will let you seat the bullets out to 3.165" max. </div></div>

Mine was a Savage and Glen doesn't make a DBM for those yet... wasn't meaning to trip anyone up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need to get 81sfo to send me the pic of that steel plate. So I can frame it. lol </div></div>

I was thinking more along the lines of taking the actual pieces to a trophy shop and having one made "Most bad ass 7wsm"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wild Bill,

Interesting that you get such high round count out of these rounds...

Last summer @ Bisley most of the GB F/O team were running something like a .284 Shehane, 7 short mag of some flavor, etc.

The rumor was that they were pushing the short mags pretty hard - like 3000+fps, heavy on the 'plus'. Reported barrel life went something like... 1st 250 rounds, phenomenal accuracy. 2nd 250rds... very good accuracy. After that... living on borrowed time.
frown.gif

Not sure I want to run loads hot enough to make both the brass *and* the barrels literally 'consumables'...

Monte </div></div>

Pushed my 7WSM with 180VLDs to 3200fps while working on making them a mile accuratly. Toasted the barrel, the brass is still in use. I was using retumbo. I won't try that again.

So what is the max OAL that is going to fit in a short action? Is the long action necessary to get over 3.1 OAL even with the Seekins DBM?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">video would be sweet. 3/4 MOA would be 7.5 inches at 1000 yards. That is very good considering that rifle and set up. Pics and video please. I want to build a 7WSM so bad. </div></div>

It's actually closer to 8 inches than 7.5.

1.047 x 10 * .75 = 7.8525"

Still impressive either way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hill billy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what is the max OAL that is going to fit in a short action? Is the long action necessary to get over 3.1 OAL even with the Seekins DBM? </div></div>

Seekins mag lets you seat out to 3.165" which is more than enough, no need to go LA.