• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm WSSM (a 7WSM switch-barrel for comps)

mcfred

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2011
SW USA
A while back I built a mag fed rifle in 7mm WSM and I've been using it in local precision rifle competitions. The 7WSM is a great round and has nearly optimum ballistics for the limitations of a short action, but it seems to be a bit overkill for the relatively short ranges found in these matches. I posted on this idea with some supporting data in my build thread:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...e-7-wsm-build-now-new-barrel.html#post2311421

This led to the idea of just using a shorter case to reduce capacity for cost purposes while using the same bolt face, same bullets, same magazines, etc. The 7mm WSSM is not a new idea, but most of the info I was able to find on it is related to gas guns. Anyway, this seemed like it might have potential as the "toned" down WSM I had in mind, plus I like to experiment; so reamers, brass, and parts were ordered... I think we all know the state of this hobby, so I'll skip ahead a number of months:

2n832vr.jpg

Everyone likes pictures so this picture shows the 7mm WSSM next to a few other long range rounds for comparison: the 7mm WSM loaded to mag length, the 7WSM loaded for F-class (single shot), and a 338/300RUM. The 7WSSM is roughly equivalent to the 7mm-08, though with its short case long/heavy bullets can be seated out to preserve case capacity. Enough parts finally arrived to test the theory, and now with a barrel swap I'm getting up to 2850fps with the same 180 grain SMK (superformance powder). Pressure is moderate to low so cases should last and extraction is easy for fast/smooth bolt movement (helpful in most timed stages). Eventually I'd like to test the 162 hornady bullet. Depending on what velocity I can get it may have an edge over the 180 for short range, but I already have a bunch of the 180s. I'm thinking the 162 with H4350 will be a good combination to try, if I can eventually get the components.

Accuracy so far is acceptable, but not great (1.5" at 200yards). For availability I've been using 223 WSSM brass, and its quality is not very good. So far I've just been annealing the necks and expanding them to 7mm. Because the 7WSSM is basically a 6mm PPC scaled up slightly, I was hoping to get effortless accuracy without messing around with brass. With more brass prep (turning necks, trimming to same length, sorting, etc.) I think accuracy will improve significantly. I would also like to try some 25 WSSM brass to see if there is better quality there (does anyone want to trade some for 223WSSM brass?).

The reamer was spec'd such that my WSM reamer can be simply run in to clean out the WSSM chamber if desired, but so far the experiment is looking like a success. I'll post updates as I get more experience with it...

Interesting! I have a Winchester 70 WSSM rebarreled to a 358 WSSM for hunting deer here in Indiana, but haven't seen a 7 WSSM. Gotta get that 25 WSSM brass when it's in stock, it doesn't last long on the shelves!

This worked well last weekend in raton at the sporting rifle match. I was a little worried about running 100 rounds of superformance without cleaning, but accuracy seemed fine throughout the weekend. The very last target of the day was 730 yards, and had been moved. I took a guess at the drop and hit just over the top. Still, it was a good weekend and the WSSM seemed to have no problems keeping up with a bunch of very nice hardware.

Next step is to fabricate the seating die and do some brass prep for the next batch of reloads.

I got the seater die made out of a redding 7mm-08 competition seater. I tried to order just the sleeve, but the whole damn die was about the same price and no wait so I just bought one of those, trimmed it down a little and reamed out the sleeve with the chamber reamer. It works great.

The other option was to just buy a plain 0.284" reamer to make the sleeve, but I got lazy. I would like to try making a bullet tipping die, so if anyone has a regular straight 0.284 or 0.2845" reamer that I could borrow/rent, please let me know.

What mag? How well do the wssm feed? Oal?

OAL depends on bullet, but any tip will be sub 2.8" even with the long throat I spec'd for the reamer, so any magazine should work. They feed fine; that pointy tip has to feed into a big hole in the back end of the barrel. The WSM is the same way; feeds fine with a regular push feed action, fast, slow, upside-down, sideways, all fine. When the body pops free from the mag the tip is already started in the back of chamber. The fat case body isn't much smaller than the bolt body so it can't tilt far enough inside the receiver to cause any binding or fall out the loading port. I can push the bolt forward slowly and as soon as the case pops out of the mag I can hold the bolt there and rattle the gun or turn it any which way and it's fine.

Finally something different for a change. Seems like a natural for what you are wanting to do. Very nice write up. Keep us posted.

Regards,
Paul

I've been getting some steel set up out in the mountains and I found a 22" square piece of 1/4" scrap plate that we set up at 2000 yards. Finally got some parts back from the mfg (so much for xmas...) and went shooting. The WSSM was 2/10 on the plate at 2000. That's the furthest I've ever shot and was a bit surprised I could still see impacts and even hear the plate ring. It was a nice weekend!

McFred,

Would you share a few details on your 7WSM?

Were you feeding/shooting them from a mag in a short action?
What bullets?
Lead angle & freebore?
Tight neck/neck clearance?

Looking to have a tight necked 7WSM reamer cut for myself to run 180VLD's at mag length.

As far as seating dies go, I bought a RCBS Mic seater years ago. I use it on everything from .22 Cal to .338 Cal
You can either buy RCBS bullet guides or make cartridge specific guides with your chamber reamer and just bore out the lead angle.

I *finally* found some H4350 to try! I got 2820fps with 48gr behind a berger 180. It's more dense than IMR4350: 45gr vs 48gr for a full case. It's less speed than superformance, but it burns cleaner. First 3 rounds at 45, 46, and 47 grains went into the same hole at 200 yards. I can see why it's a popular powder with the 6.5mm guys.