• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm08 Barrel options8/23

Roy R

Private
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2023
Texas
I have been looking for 7mm08 barrels for AR 10 build Most of the manufacturers that have them you hear good and bad. McGowan Xcaliber Wilson make me nervous . Other high quality manufacturers Krieger, white oak aren’t taking orders. Proof doesn’t make one. Looking for high quality barrel recommendations. 20 inch barrel rifle length gas block.

Profile pros and cons might help, I hunt I usually run HBAR profiles would consider a socom profile... I do hunt using AR10 weight matters.

Very Respectfully
Roy

What game and what distances will you be hunting?

Bartlein barrels would be a go-to for me if I was doing this.

2 shops off the top of my head I would send the work to for barrel profiling, chambering, extension install, gas port, muzzle threading, etc.:

GAP
Precision Firearms

I wouldn’t use a SOCOM or HABR profile for a hunter either, and I would consider going shorter too.

A 14.5”-18” 7mm-08 with any of the modern bullets will kill just fine out to 400yds on big game.

If you are stalk-hunting, tripod-hunting pigs, or stand-hunting in Texas, I think I still would go as short as possible and suppress.

Do you already have a lot of 7mm-08 hunting ammo and do you expect to shoot that through this?

What game and what distances will you be hunting?

Bartlein barrels would be a go-to for me if I was doing this.

2 shops off the top of my head I would send the work to for barrel profiling, chambering, extension install, gas port, muzzle threading, etc.:

GAP
Precision Firearms

I wouldn’t use a SOCOM or HABR profile for a hunter either, and I would consider going shorter too.

A 14.5”-18” 7mm-08 with any of the modern bullets will kill just fine out to 400yds on big game.

If you are stalk-hunting, tripod-hunting pigs, or stand-hunting in Texas, I think I still would go as short as possible and suppress.

Do you already have a lot of 7mm-08 hunting ammo and do you expect to shoot that through this?

I do a lot of hog hunting normally within 200 yards. I have run 16in 18 inch and 22 inch 308’s. 18in in 308 seems to be the sweet spot for me. I do suppress and almost all the time use tripods.

I plan on using 140 grain or lighter ammo, I really like Accubonds. I’m thinking 1/9.5 twist, what profile do you recommend?

I do a lot of hog hunting normally within 200 yards. I have run 16in 18 inch and 22 inch 308’s. 18in in 308 seems to be the sweet spot for me. I do suppress and almost all the time use tripods.

I plan on using 140 grain or lighter ammo, I really like AccubondsI’m thinking 1/9.5 twist, what profile do you recommend?

I have been looking for 7mm08 barrels for AR 10 build Most of the manufacturers that have them you hear good and bad. McGowan Xcaliber Wilson make me nervous . Other high quality manufacturers Krieger, white oak aren’t taking orders. Proof doesn’t make one. Looking for high quality barrel recommendations. 20 inch barrel rifle length gas block.

Profile pros and cons might help, I hunt I usually run HBAR profiles would consider a socom profile... I do hunt using AR10 weight matters.

Very Respectfully
Roy
Do not buy McGowan... They're a bunch of douchebags, and their barrels aren't all that great. Lots of posts about QC issues and bad bores and shoddy workmanship.

I've got a Wilson Combat 18" I'd be wiing to part with. Less than 50 rounds through it