• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 7mm08 to 280AI to 7Mag?

eddybo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
MS
Okay the questions first since the explanation and excuses are rather convoluted.

Will a 280AI reamer clean up a 7mm/08 chamber that was run too deep? If so that is all the info I need. If not will a 7 RM clean up a 280AI chamber?

First off I am not sure what kind of brain fart I had that ruined my evening in the shop but upon much thought may have stumbled upon the answer. I built basicly a tailstock DRO that lets me know haw far I have gone in with a reamer. I always park my carrage when reaming and always run the tailstock to the carriage and use the feed wheel to run the reamer in. After my first pass I measure to get a rough estimate of how far I need to run the reamer in, then zero my measuring device. I usually stop and use a guage when I get to .100 of correct headspace. Well last night I guess I had a brain fart and moved the freakin carriage toward the headstock during this operation. I do not recall doing it but upon much recollection find this to be the most plausible answer. If I had hit the zero button on my indicator during one of the pull outs to clean chips I would probably have noticed. Anyway when I reached what I assumed would be .100 short I grabbed my go guage and that sucker went outta sight in the hole. I was like WTF did I do?

No problem I have been wanting to build a 280 ackley for myself but this was not my barrel. So I jump on the phone and call Don geraci. He has a barrel that will be a better than suitable replacement. I call the barrel owner he consents to the swap, he is getting a kreiger rather than a pacnor now. I grab a long action and measure everything and make a couple of adjustments to make sure that my clearance to the front of the lugs is correct. Then I run the 280AI reamer in and headspace it. I am only .250 short, that is how much too far I ran the 7mm/08 reamer. I put my indicator in and everything runs true and looks great, life is good. I turn the barrel around cut and crown it, then put it in the blast cabinet and then tightened it on the action. I put the barreled action on the shelf waiting on a stock and move on.

When I woke up this morning I start having this nagging thought even though this chamber looks perfect, did the 7mm/08 reamer which was run too deep open the base of the chamber oversize? This is something I did not consider last night. I guess I was just tired. Am I going to be able to size my cases with my dies? Are the cases going to bulge our in front of the webbing? If so will a 7RM clean that chamber up? All these questions start popping in my head when I am away from anything gun related.

I ran a 6x284 reamer .007 too deep one time and thought I probably held the record for running a reamer too deep. I now have cemented my title as the guy who ran a reamer the furthest too far.

I have a magnum action laying around and it would only take a little time to run the 7RM reamer in, but I would rather have the .280AI since I cut the barrel at 25 inches. I cannot for the life of me picture in my mind a 280 case against a 7RM case to determine whether the 7RM is long enough to clean the 280AI chamber up.

Re: 7mm08 to 280AI to 7Mag?

At 7 thou too deep I don't think you held the record, I did. My very first chamber I cut I did so without supervision and ran it about 25thou too far. "That looks good" measuring system is a bad idea.

I can't give you an answer, but I thought that misery loves company, you might feel a little better knowing it's happened to others as well.

Good luck with the solution, it doesn't sound like you're going to end up with a bad combination any way you slice it, but I'd be annoyed at myself for laying plans and then screwing it royally.

You're good the >280Ai 's straighter sides will do it as long as the 7-08 was the standard variety

You could cerro-safe the backend if you're concerned.

when we're comparing deminsions stay with like to like; chamber to chamber, cartridge to cartridge etc. so .491 at 2.04 for the 7rm and .450 at 2.09 for the 280ai the .280ai comes in at 40degrees and the 7rm at25degrees so yeah you're good again. What about scooting back that .007 though did I miss a reason you can't.

o.k. I thought some one else would chime in by now and I was leaving room but let me wring this out I missed what receiver you're using but if its 16 tpi you've got .0625 per revolution of thread or 360 degrees if you divide .0625 by 360 you get .000173" per degree or about 6 degrees per .001 so if you bump everything back .007" you're in between 42 or 45 degrees if you need some crush are there sights on the barrel or some other reason I'm missing?

Yea moving back is what I would do if I only went over .007....which was the most I had gone over before last night. I go over +- .001 all the time and can correct for that. To fix the .150 error I would end up threading the shoulder that I left for the recoil lug and would have a void in my threads. I could have picked the threads up and done it this way and probably would have done this if it were mine. I drove that reamer at least .170 too far last night, which is why I am wondering if the continued case taper on the 7mm/08 reamer would have cut the base larger than the 280 base. I guess the best thing for me to do is to measure the reamers at the appropriate points and compare the diminsions, but I am away from the shop and cant find any reamer prints online that would give the diminsions I need. I was hoping someone basically knew what the diminsions were, but why would anyone know the diminsions of a 7mm/08 reamer .150+ past the headspace.

Say fuk-it and do a 7mm RUM!
grin.gif

But seriously this is a good guide to help out quickly when you need to know about cases sizes.

Link

Thanks for that link......a RUM may be my only choice if the 280AI chamber is tweaked. I could not picture it in my mind but thought that the 06 based case was longer than the 7RM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Say fuk-it and do a 7mm RUM!
grin.gif

But seriously this is a good guide to help out quickly when you need to know about cases sizes.

Link </div></div>

Have done them before matter of fact i have a 270 rum i was thinking about finishing soon for a friend. That would be kewl. I know them 7mm shoot well dont like the brass but if you deal with it they work great.

i think your 280ai chamber will be fine. no big deal to shoot it, mic the brass, size it and mic it again to see if there are any issues. i just dont think there will be. you already have the rifle together. put it in an HS or something similiar that doesnt necessarily need bedding and have at it. nothing at all to lose at this point.

chuck

Hi next time why dont you chamber the barrel first then after the chamber is correct and the clearence is machined off the back of the barrel then cut the thread and shoulder for headspace that is what we do. Then if you have this issue you can always shorten the barrel a little no problem. You probably should not need to undercut the thread if you had just run yout thread to the lug spiggot you would have been able to pick up the thread without an issue.

Anyway the bases on the 7mm08 and 280AI should be the same but the sides of the 280AI will be wider than the 7mm08 at the shoulder. the only other thing to watch is that the neck on your 280AI is actualy the same size or larger than the 7mm08. I doubt this will be the case as the 7mm08 has a thick neck to allow for 308 cases to be necked down.

If it is fitted none of these measurements will make the rifle unsafe to fire so shoot a round through it and see what the cases look like.

Check for a step where the chambers reamers would have cut the bases, that the shoulder of the 7mm08 has not made a bulge in the side of the 280AI case and check that their is no stem along the neck where the 7mm08 chamber reamer stopped. if you have any of these you will have a barrel that will end up around 1/2" shorter. you would likley have to run the reamer in further and face the back of tha barrel to cive the correct petrusion or flush for a rem minus your tolerence then re turn the thread spiggot and thread then headspace the barrel once the chamber is finished.