• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

7mmrem/300win.mag conversion (7mm practical)

scpaul

Private
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2014
central..... S.C.
would I be Better off money,expense,and quality wise to send just the bbl. or the whole weapon. Note I would have to buy bbl nut wrench & go/no go gauges. The differances between the 2 seem mostly case length & neck diameter.suggestionson a smith and approx. cost each way. THANKS paul

Send the whole thing in.

the chamber should be cut / fine tuned with the action. all barrel manufacturers cut their chambers short.

Why would you send the barrel? I dont thing you can open up a barrel to a larger caliber.

Caliber would still be 7mm.The chamber would lengthened.Look in a load manual w/engeneering drawings.also when a bbl. is machined it's not in a reciever then.I'm capable of installing the finishedbbl,and I don't have to have to have a licensed dealer to ship or recieve the bbl. alone saving up to about $100 in this area. Paul

I still say send it in. why by go / no go if you don't have the reamer to fix it?

save your money and don't get the gauges / wrench and have your smith do it right the first time.

you can ship directly to an FFL and receive your item from an FFL

Last edited:
My fault, should have told you I was building the first one on a Savage 116FSS to make it as easy as possible. If I don't mess with the 300 win shoulder angle I can use 300 go/no go gauges I have access to.Talked to PTG and the reamer is only $138. I'm going to ask for a rough drawing just to check the specs. against mine. I also have access to 2 machinists, 1 which makes the dummys that are used to check the accuracy of mikes,calipers etc. I contacted the premier gunsmith shop is S.C. (in top 10 according to a nat'l magazine [Pop. Mech.,Field&Stream,Sports Afield not sure ,it's on their home page]) top dog out until next week,but was told,and I quote "I don't want to mess with it" I'm going to contact top dog next week because this is contrary to everything I've been told and read about this company. Have a good one paul