• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mmRM 180 smk + R22 starting load opinions/help

RobG

Douchebag Hauler
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2007
W. Sac, Kalifornia
No data that I could find using this combo. I assume I can use the 175 smk as a starting point. I was going to try 62 grains of R22 and work up from there. I will also be using Fed 215's and Rem brass. Feel free to toss out any opinions.

Thanks

Re: 7mmRM 180 smk + R22 starting load opinions/help

Since Alliant lists 61 Grains of RL-22 as MAX with a 175 gr. bullet, I belive a work down, and not up is in order......

70 gr Re22 180 gr VLD moly @ 3025 fps average chrono 26" barrel, 3.48" jammed into the lands seats it deeper when chambered.

In 2010 I hunted with that, and shot 3 mule deer with that.
With the scope 2" above the bore and zero'ed at 200y, the elevation is only 6.4 moa at 500 yards and the bullet is still going 2321 fps. This is a flat shooting load that puts a lot of energy way out there.

That is 2 gr below where I found the threshold of long brass life.
That is a 3% margin. Vernon Speer said in 1956 to get a 6% margin for writing load books, but I feel comfortable with my processes and a 3% margin for my personal use in one rifle.
To get that load, I started at 66 gr, worked up to 72 gr, found the edge of loose primer pockets in too few uses, and backed off to 70 gr.

Thanks Bob, went back and saw the 61 gr max. Could have sworn I saw 65 as max. As far as 70g, wow, thats stout. I run 67 with the amax right now and its pretty stout although no significant pressure signs. I have seen some recipes of 63g with the Berger 180 so I guess I will start around 60 and go from there.

Thanks guys.

Are you guys talking abount the new 180 Sierra match King? Saw these and am interested in them for my 7WSM. Look forward to range report.

Switch to RL-25 for heavy bullets in the 7mm RM. With 180 Bergers, I'm running right around 67grs of RL-25 with 215m's at 3.460" oal (.008 into lands) and getting 2950fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gmbjr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Switch to RL-25 for heavy bullets in the 7mm RM. With 180 Bergers, I'm running right around 67grs of RL-25 with 215m's at 3.460" oal (.008 into lands) and getting 2950fps. </div></div>Agree with this. I tried five or six powders in my 7wsm when it was new and Rl25 is the best velocity for the least pressure. I understand it's a slightly different caliber so YMMV.

I have to dig up my loading recipe book, it's packed up since I'm moving, but I am using the 180gr Bergers with RL 25 as well and getting great accuracy and speed.

I have a couple different powders and bullet combo's I will share. H1000, RL22, and RL25 using 164gr Amax, and 180gr VLD's. I'm pretty sure I'm using 65grs RL25 with the 180 VlD's, and even gone to 67.5gr, but showing lots of pressure signs.

I started my ladder test with the RL25 at 63grs and worked up.

Just an FYI from memory. I'll dig it up and let you know for sure before trying any of those loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TDubb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to dig up my loading recipe book, it's packed up since I'm moving, but I am using the 180gr Bergers with RL 25 as well and getting great accuracy and speed.

I have a couple different powders and bullet combo's I will share. H1000, RL22, and RL25 using 164gr Amax, and 180gr VLD's. I'm pretty sure I'm using 65grs RL25 with the 180 VlD's, and even gone to 67.5gr, but showing lots of pressure signs.

I started my ladder test with the RL25 at 63grs and worked up.

Just an FYI from memory. I'll dig it up and let you know for sure before trying any of those loads. </div></div>

Are you guys running 1:9" twists, or 1:8.5" twists because I think Sierra recommends a 1:8.5" barrel?

I run a 1:9" Sendero from '97, so I think I'm out of the 180gr SMK game.

Chris

I'm running a 1:9" PacNor on my 7RM with 180VLD Bergers @ 2950fps and having no (zero) stability issues after over 650 rounds shooting at distances out to 1000yds. I think sometimes Sierra is a little conservative in their twist requirements. Maybe if you're running a 7-08 you would need a 1:8.5" twist.

Mine is a 1:9" twist. The 180VLD's were in the 2900's fps, but the fastest were the 164Amax@3100fps. The Amax's were fast and the VLD's grouped better, with my loads. I didn't do that much load development with the Amax's to find the accurate load.

I didn't dig up the recipe book tonight, but I will remember tomorrow and get back to you.

All the info is great, thanks. I am heading out in the a.m. to do some testing and will report back.

O.K., did some testing, finally. This is with a 9 twist Krieger that is chambered/throated for the amax. It was no issue with the MK although I have tons of room left in the mag that I cannot use due to the MK's different profile.

I started at 61 grains of R22 working up to 63 grains. I seated to kiss the lands. I ave about 2860 at 61 ending with 63 grains at 2936 ave, sd 12, es 32. Bolt lift became "noticeable" at 63 but, nothing major. I am satisfied with velocity and grouping so no need to seek out any more speed. Groups all ran from 1.5" (61.5) to 1" (63) for 5 shots at 200 yds.

I never got this good of accuracy with the amax, running about 1 moa from 200+ yds. At 100 it was stellar just not beyond for whatever reason. This bullet/powder combo was really a breeze to get running.

At this point I am thinking I am good to go. Gonna shoot a match to 1k this weekend so I will be able to see how it shoots to distance. I ran 3 ballistic programs to get some dope and will get in a practice on Sat so we'll see how it all turns out.

I'm in the RL25 camp. I use it in my 7RM with the 175 SMKs and get great results. Allows you to push them a bit harder with less pressure.