• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mmRM or 300WM

anw0625

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2009
I am trying to build a 1000+ rifle and trying to decide which one to go with. Which one would you go with, the 7mmRM or the 300wm? Thanks!!

Re: 7mmRM or 300WM

now what is it for? for steel and paper the 7mm kills the 300 hands down. the 175gr MatchKing in 7mm has a BC higher than all commercial 30 cal projectiles besides the 240gr MatchKing and they are only just higher with the 240's. so to equil the 7mm you will have to push the 210gr projectiles 50 to 100fps faster than the 275gr MatchKing to keep on an even level or shoot the 240gr MatchKings around 50fps slower. so to get the same ballistic performance from the 300 Win mag you will almost double the recoil making it harder to shoot as accurately. Now if you are shooting large animals you might have a reason to shoot he 300 and i would use the 240's as hard as you can launch them but even then if you shoot a 210gr 30 cal at 1000 yards the higher BC of the 175gr MatchKings catch up and are almost the same in retained energy.

The 300 will give you a slightly longer barrel life but the projectiles are between 30 and 50 percent more so that outweighs the barrel wear costs.

i have been shooting a 7mm Rem SAUM with a 28" barrel using Retumbo and 175gr MAtchKings for 3100fps and from 1000 yards to 1200 yards i only came up 6.75MOA and it will go to a mile no problems.

Hope that helps but a long 9 twist Rock or Lawton barrel and you will be good to go. also we have a club member using a long throated Rem Sendaro in 7mm Rem MAg 26" barrel and he is also close to 3100fps but uses 6gr more powder than me in a shorter barrel. We both use Norma Brass and CCI 250 primers and Naked 175gr MatchKings.

I was going to use it for every thing from paper to elk. I have been watching "the best of the west" and they also love the 7mm. I was looking at using the the Hunting shack 168gr and 3067 with a bc of .617 compared to .608 for matchking 175gr and .488 for the 168gr. have you used the berger bullets?

quote....now what is it for? for steel and paper the 7mm kills the 300 hands down. the 175gr MatchKing in 7mm has a BC higher than all commercial 30 cal projectiles besides the 240gr MatchKing and they are

twas a little confused as the bc on a 175 matchking I thought was .608????????

I use 208 a-max in my 300 winny, they are comercially avaliable and have a bc of .648, and the bc of a 240 matchking in 30 cal is .711

unless I am wrong but I just checked ??????????????

use the g7 bc's, they will match much better

Litz lists the g7 of the 7mm 175smk at .327, I've been running them for a while now and jbm with this input is spot on. G1 would be closer to .640

Litz list the g7 for the 208amax's at .323.

Sorry bagpuss, I was meaning that the bc of the 175gr 7mm is .608 on sierra website. Yea you are right on the bc I also checked. Do you hand load or buy commercial loads?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: anw0625</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am trying to build a 1000+ rifle and trying to decide which one to go with. Which one would you go with, the 7mmRM or the 300wm? Thanks!! </div></div>

The only thing that a 300 win mag has over the 7 mm mag is the amount of lead you unload down range... No question that the 7 mm ballistics is going to be better than the 300 wm.

At a 1000+ plus yards your ability to shoot plays a much larger role than small numbers on someone's drop chart. It's true, the 7mmRM is ballistically superior on paper. But not enough to make a shot at a mile, or even 3/4 of a mile. As far as energy goes the 7mmRM is inferior to the 300WM and is not near as effecient. I shot my 300wm along side my buddies 7mmRM at 1320yds this weekend. Eleveation for each was as easy as plugging it in to jbm. The wind was not so easy. For either gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7mmRM all the way. </div></div>

Your just Biased haha

300WM 190 JLK 7mm 180 JLK
RANGE Elevation Drift Energy Elevation Drift Energy delta e
(yd) (in) (in) (ft-lb) (in) (in) (ft-lb)
400 -19.0 -8.3 2307 -21.3 -7.3 2034 273
600 -63.5 -19.7 1831 -70.0 -17.3 1681 150
800 -140.2 -37.1 1438 -151.8 -32.3 1380 58
1000 -257.9 -61.6 1118 -274.1 -53.0 1124 -6

JLK bullets at 2900 and 2700 respecively, with 10mph crosswind

Well if my calculations are correct using the Nightforce ballistics calculator there is not much energy difference but there sure is going to be a kick difference which of course translates into accuracy difference.

But your right there is a significant barrel burn difference. but considering the cost of tournaments bullets, travel, training, the cost of a barrel is miniscule. Also you can shoot the 162 amax (even less recoil)out of the 7mm RM for target shooting and get great ballistics then move up to a 180 berger VLD for hunting and have plenty for all NA game (if you put the bullet in the right place). No caliber will correct a bad shot. For that matter they have been taking big game accross the pond with the 6.5mm for ages so no worries with the 7RM.

I'm going to disagree with Cheyene19. I have sucessfully shot Berger 180s out of my 7 WSM out to 1,600 yards on steel plate targets, and put 7 of my first 10 shots including shot number 1 onto a steel plate target 18x24" at 1,500 yards (0.85 of a mile). The 7RM has more case capacity then my 7WSM, and can certainly shoot as well as the WSM at distance.

JeffVN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeffvn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to disagree with Cheyene19. I have sucessfully shot Berger 180s out of my 7 WSM out to 1,600 yards on steel plate targets, and put 7 of my first 10 shots including shot number 1 onto a steel plate target 18x24" at 1,500 yards (0.85 of a mile). The 7RM has more case capacity then my 7WSM, and can certainly shoot as well as the WSM at distance.

JeffVN </div></div>

That's my fault Jeff. I read my post and realized the dumbass statement that I made. I wouldn't slander a 7wsm as I have one. What I meant to say was that the difference between the two wouldn't make the shot. They are so close to one another that a miss with one wouldn't likely be a hit with the other. Sorry for the mix up.

Cheyene19 No worries, I've doen the same lots of times.

I agree that they are close to each other in almost all respects (except the recoil), with a slight nod towards the 300 on energy delivered to the target at distance when using the 210 Berger or 208 AMAX.

In that regard, I'm looking at a 300WM (or similar capacity case without a belt) as we speak for use in the desert to hammer steel....

JeffVN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crazy Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For hunting elk,I'd go with the .300 WM. Paper ballastics and everything goes out the window when hunting in the real world. </div></div>

How does a 300WM kill and Elk any deader than a 7mmRM???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crazy Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For hunting elk,I'd go with the .300 WM. Paper ballastics and everything goes out the window when hunting in the real world. </div></div>

How does a 300WM kill and Elk any deader than a 7mmRM??? </div></div>

Everyone knows that 300 is 293 more than 7, so the 300 would make elk 293x more dead.....

or is it the 7 is 6.7 more than .300, so the 7 would make them 6.7x more dead.....

awww hell my brains hurts. Just flip a coin
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crazy Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For hunting elk,I'd go with the .300 WM. Paper ballastics and everything goes out the window when hunting in the real world. </div></div>

How does a 300WM kill and Elk any deader than a 7mmRM??? </div></div>

Exactly Isaac. Dead is dead.
They're so close to each other I wouldn't over think the whole deal. Just pick one.

300 Win Mag.

Don't get hung up on speed. In a barrel length of 26 to 28", the fastest you're going to <span style="font-weight: bold">accurately</span> push <span style="font-style: italic">any </span> high aspect (hi B.C.) bullet is between 2750 and 2900 fps.

I've used and seen used every belted magnum variant from 6mm to 338. I settled on the 300 Win Mag for the following reasons:

1) I can buy Federal Match 190 grain SMK that shoots as well as anything I can load. I've duplicated the Federal load
(73 grains of H4831 SC if memory serves, don't pack this yourself without checking) and shoot as far as any practical match application will call for. Yep, it costs a little more than if I loaded it myself, but by the time I account for my labor, I'd rather call Midway and order a case.

Well, you used to be able to.

2) If you pack a 240 grain SMK over 75 grains of Western Powders Magnum or 70 grains of XMR3100 and shoot with any 7mm all day long. I regard this combination to be the most balanced cartridge/bullet/powder combination available. The 7mm is arguably overbore, but the proof is in the bullet impact.

In the end, go with whatever you like and work with it until you're satisfied. All this is just my opinion, but in the end, I regard this whole conversation as blondes vs. brunettes. Pick one and enjoy.

Wes

PS: In the end, any rifle chambered for any cartridge only shoots as well as it's put together. Loose barrels, bad gunsmithing, shoddy chamber (and believe me, factory Remington 7mms have the worst, most variable chambers I've ever seen). Whatever you pick, the rifle and its provenance are more important than the cartridge you have it chambered for. If you can't spring for a custom rifle now, start with a Model 700 Varmint or PSS; put on a Badger Base and TSR rings, and a SS 10X42 Scope. It's as close to quality on a budget I've seen (and done), and serves as a platform for a a custom rifle. After you've rung out the factory barrel, take it to a good gunsmith for action truing, bedding, and a custom barrel, and voila, you're in the big(ger) leagues. Again, good luck with whatever you choose.

I would be interested in the "real world" where a bullet carrying the same or better energy kills less than the other because .....maybe the elk are immune to 7mm bullets? hmmm....

Luvman, I almost fell out of my chair laughing...Awesome!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1ZNUF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Don't get hung up on speed. In a barrel length of 26 to 28", the fastest you're going to <span style="font-weight: bold">accurately</span> push <span style="font-style: italic">any </span> high aspect (hi B.C.) bullet is between 2750 and 2900 fps.

</div></div>

Really?!?!?!?!! LOL!!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1ZNUF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Really?!?!?!?!! LOL!!!!!!!!! </div></div>

Well, there ya go. Shot down as Lance Corporal ; )

Anyway, while I've done a lot of this, I'll be the first to admit I know there's plenty to learn from others. The statement I made was what I've experienced over years of tinkering, but man, if you can show me the light and get me past that hurdle, I'm open.

I will say I've got one exception to my statement. My 6mm 40x will shoot 105 AMax 1/2 moa at any range before sonic transition at 3150 fps. So far, that's the only one I've had that experience with, including 338-378s, 300 belted mag variants, and smaller cartridges. But I'm here to learn as much as anyone. Plus I don't want any displays of my ignorance to jack a thread, so yea, LOL at me, no prob, but this thread isn't about me, it's answering someone elses question. As far as the 300 WM goes, I have direct experience; with the 7mm-300, that's just based on years of observation of other shooters who like that cartridge.

Peace out, bro.

1z,
LOL! Youre a Sgt. now:)

To the matter at hand-
Im personally running 168 VLDs @ 3100 FPS in a 7WSM and in a 7mmRM. Hell, I was 3000+ in my 300WSM & 190 VLDs. Its been awhile since I ran any 300WMs, but IIRC I was running well over 3k FPS with 190s. There are alot of guys that post here are doing the same.

My experience with the 6mmRem pretty much echos yours. 3150ish with 105s.. Had 2 at one time... Loved 'em. However, I changed over to the 243Win only because I can run the 243 within mag confines. Makes a big difference in the type of shooting I do.

7mm, yeah, the stripes came through last night. Field promotion, probably won't last.

Yeah, it sounds like we're pretty much on the same page with the 300Win; the only other bullet I've been trying to get to shoot is the 208 AMax, no success so far, but I'm not so sure about something with my setup, so that project is on hold.

JCH, this all feels vaguely reminiscent of the .45 vs. 9mm debate
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinnypitt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be interested in the "real world" where a bullet carrying the same or better energy kills less than the other because .....maybe the elk are immune to 7mm bullets? hmmm....

Luvman, I almost fell out of my chair laughing...Awesome! </div></div>

And I thought it was a poor attempt at humor....glad somebody laughed
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1ZNUF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
wink.gif
</div></div>

that's easy, 9mm....speed kills

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1ZNUF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
wink.gif
</div></div>

that's easy, 9mm....speed kills </div></div>

I love it. Reminds of the movie "Tremors" where the Michael Gross holds up an AR and a side by side elephant gun and asks Reba McIntire "Whaddya think, honey: Maximum firepower or maximum knockdown power?" (paraphrased).

I can only tell you the reason I went with the 7mm rem mag, biggest reason recoil and ballistics. To get the ballistics to match the remmy you have to push huge bullets which i would never want to be behind under any circumstance. The barrel wear worried me until i fugured the cost of one training class
~900$ for class
~850$ ammo for the class
~250$ lodging
~100$ food

so really compared to the ~850$ for a barrel change....

When you get down to it though, get what you want and enjoy it. Live the dream and dont look back.

What the hell do I know, im an x-ground pounder trained on my M16 and the Dragon wire guided anti tank weapon. With my m16 I never shot farther than 300 yds and with a wire guided missle 1100 meters is no prob (unless the enemy sees you sitting on the hill and decides to throw everything hes got at you while your ass is immobile sitting duck with a neon sighn attached to you...)
Best of luck!

The guys over at Surgeon are building it so from everything I have heard I have no doubt it will shoot. The real question will be how well i can shoot. No more exuses that my rifle is not that accurate, LOP is off, or that darn hunting stock doesn't give me a good cheek placement.....LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinnypitt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The guys over at Surgeon are building it so from everything I have heard I have no doubt it will shoot. The real question will be how well i can shoot. No more exuses that my rifle is not that accurate, LOP is off, or that darn hunting stock doesn't give me a good cheek placement.....LOL </div></div>

Yeah. I got the same problem. Rifles that can shoot better than I can. It all started with that damned Daisy Red Ryder with the Hart Barrel...